Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2011, 08:09 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
U.S. Wealth Gap Between Young, Old Is Widest Ever

The baby boomers have ruined it for our children and grand children. Welcome to the new economy.
You folks are completely disingenuous. Why don't you blame a national policy that says everyone should have a house and a college degree? At what point in time (assuming you ever understood supply and demand) did you totally throw out the very basic laws of economics?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Committing a felony, which is exactly what he did, in order to fund (partly or in whole) his way through school is hardly something to look up to.

There are plenty of people who go through HS and college without dealing or doing drugs.
Depends on which state you're in. Ask Barney Frank about selling drugs while running a prostitution ring....

Oh man, it aint nuttin'... A few "drug classes" and it disappears.

I think you're disillusioned or naive to the actual realities of today. Of course, you should have caught on to those realities when Obama told you he was snortin' like there was no tomorrow and he went on to (said with a elitist voice) Harvard...

You know what they say about what you don't know, and your kids are very very adapted to making sure you "don't know."

Old 11-07-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Aero, I know some extremely wealthy people personally. My uncle, the wealthiest person I know who is worth several times what the OP reports he is worth, is also the hardest working (or was ... he's pretty much in retirement mode now) and smartest person I know. As a grad student at Stanford pursuing a Phd in physics in the early 60s, he became interested in computers. He eventually went to work for IBM. In the 80s, he started tinkering around with software code and developed a program that would become the second best selling architectural software package in the world. He founded a company to develop and market it.

I lived with him briefly in the mid 90s, and he routinely worked until 2 a.m. in the morning. (His office was the top floor of his lakeside mansion.) He also employed nearly 100 people, many of whom were paid extremely good salaries. His company was a huge boon to the smallish town it was located in. Many benefited from his largesse, including me. (He took me in after my dad died, which was extremely nice of him to do .. a godsend really.)

If you actually read what I write and don't just make chit up based on my political beliefs, you'll find I bear absolutely no antipathy toward successful people. I believe in hard work. I work very hard much of the time. I'm not rich, and I never will be. That is a conscious decision on my part. I got to observe wealth very closely in my teens, and I decided it wasn't for me. I figured I'd be happy with "enough". So far, so good. My wife and I are very happy with what we have. Those who want much more -- great. If you like it, I love it. I'm content to do a job that is meaningful to me that compensates me enough to live a nice little middle class life.

What amuses me is when anyone brags about their net worth on the internet. Come on, really? That's just hilarious to me. That's not to say that it's not true ... it takes all kinds... I'm sure that there are people so miserable in the world that they need to brag about their achievements to anonymous strangers who have no way of verifying their claims even after obtaining wealth and success ... but come on. That's very gauche.

As another poster on here stated, bragging about money is just not how most wealthy people conduct themselves.

As for you, Areo, I don't put you in the same boat as the OP. You don't start threads to brag about your business success or net worth. Sometimes, in the course of a conversation, personal details of your life come up. We all develop our beliefs about the world based on our life experiences (or we should), so that's cool. I had thought you were a contractor based on some comments you made. You're more than that. Great.

You still know government contractors though, right? You can see how I was amused at the thought of someone sucking up that pretty much free government cheese bragging about what a dynamo he or she was, can't you?
Who have no way of verifying? I think with very little effort you could figure it out. You can easily find all post by user. He gave you the people he studied under. He told you he posted in peer journals.

Of course, I wouldn't suggest anyone actually try to find out who any of us are. It just wouldn't do any good. A few drinks or a rabid obsession and things could get ugly..

Old 11-07-2011, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
I'm surprised that someone with that much intelligence would write such an ignorant post.

This is 2011, not 1950. The opportunities available for young people to work their way through school are a lot smaller. Also, getting into college is far more competitive than when it was when you went through. Yes, people can still make it through, but the odds are a lot smaller.

It's great that you were born with an aptitude for school and a family that was supportive. That said, it would be a lot harder for you to do what you did today and who is to say that you can do it.

Care to make a comparison on the costs of college now vs what they were before?

As for the dirtbags, given that you don't know them, it's rather ignorant to make a sweeping generalization about a large number of people. Your statement implies that they are all funded by their father. Do you have any evidence to back up that statement or are you wrong?

I'm not a 1%'er but am pretty close. Thankfully I'm smart enough to realize that there's a difference between pointing out one specific case and the overall likely outcome. Somewhere on the planet, there's probably someone somewhere who has had pancreatic cancer for a decade or more. That's not the likely prognosis is it? I would think that a doctor would understand that there's a difference between a specific example and the overall statistical trend. I'm glad I'm not your patient.
You are a 1%. Your pool is just too small. Widen it to the rest of the world and you're a virtual Rockefeller.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Redistribute your money or we'll redistribute your blood.
"Open your mouth and remove all doubt..."

You are the OWS.

Make note OWS supporting C-D posters. This is who you're aligning yourself with. You mise well have the motto of
Quote:
...It would not matter if 3/4 of the human race perished...the important thing is that the remaining 1/4 be communist.
~Lenin~

Or you could expose your brethern for what they are. Your choice..

Old 11-07-2011, 08:31 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,287,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Depends on which state you're in. Ask Barney Frank about selling drugs while running a prostitution ring....

Oh man, it aint nuttin'... A few "drug classes" and it disappears.

I think you're disillusioned or naive to the actual realities of today. Of course, you should have caught on to those realities when Obama told you he was snortin' like there was no tomorrow and he went on to (said with a elitist voice) Harvard...

You know what they say about what you don't know, and your kids are very very adapted to making sure you "don't know."
I don't need to ask anyone how I feel about breaking the law. I feel it is wrong. I am laughing that you believe I am so naive about how the world works. Disagreeing with how someone conducts themselves, then goes on to brag about it is hardly the definition of naive.

How many kids do you have?

Old 11-07-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
Haha wow you are so full of crap it's pathetic. First off I'd like to know how old you are.............I'd also like to know exactly what you did to become worth $20 million. Straight A's all throughout school? LOL...well yeah so what............if you lived in a trailer you probably were surrounded by other kids that lived in trailers as well. Doesn't mean you were smarter or more intelligent than anyone else. Meaning your K-12 education probably wasn't that competitive or that stringent.

I love guys like you. They always say how hard they worked and give just enough information to make their story believable but when it comes to actually telling people exactly how they made their money they never divulge. Did you break any laws to make your money? So you're another "investor" that makes all his money off the backs of Brazillian third world workers. Wow you're so smart. Do you own your own business? How do you give back to your country because after all unless you went to a private college, drive on private roads, enjoy private bridges, etc. you are part of a society that you have most definitely profited from in some way or another. So to say you did everything on your own is BS and just makes you look like another uppity elitist fool. Growing up in a trailer park.........LOL...........Your mom and dad or someone along your family tree probably sucked off the government big time in one way or the other.
Right... And the first thing you folks would do is go on a mission and figure out how to try to destroy that poster.

The best idea is to stay anonymous because OWS'ers are so full of hate they'll instantly occupy your workplace and make false allegation after false allegation so that those who did make it would be on the same miserable level as themselves.

That's a very strange future the OWS crowd has for America...

Old 11-07-2011, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I don't need to ask anyone how I feel about breaking the law. I feel it is wrong. I am laughing that you believe I am so naive about how the world works. Disagreeing with how someone conducts themselves, then goes on to brag about it is hardly the definition of naive.

How many kids do you have?
Hundreds, if not 1,000's. I'm a virtual Adam without the Eve.

Seriously. I know literally 1,000's of people, and kids. I'd hope they never go that route but reality tells a much different story.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:37 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,378,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
My girl (I am not her birth mother) has wanted to be a neurologist as long as I remember.

The last year or, so she can tell I am not as much in favor of this as I was.

She graduates this year.

She has been taking a few collage classes in high school.

She tells me not to worry because she can always go into research.

If it gets to bad she can always run a well rig....she likes that too...
You are indeed the "birth" mother in terms of passing on character traits of ambition and positive goal-setting. When strong women mentor strong women, then 1%ters give "birth" to 1%ters.

Old 11-08-2011, 05:47 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,637,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Who have no way of verifying? I think with very little effort you could figure it out. You can easily find all post by user. He gave you the people he studied under. He told you he posted in peer journals.

Of course, I wouldn't suggest anyone actually try to find out who any of us are. It just wouldn't do any good. A few drinks or a rabid obsession and things could get ugly..
I really don't care that much to stalk him, Big.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies