Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 04:55 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,913,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Yet referendums on state ballots for "gay marriage" fail time after time. So, the support is not as popular as the gay activist community would like Americans to believe.
The funny thing is, years ago the anti-interracial marriage folks were saying the same thing- no one wants it, it will never pass, etc. Yet here we are today, with it being perfectly legal. I'd say it'll take 15 years for gay marriage to be legal and widely accepted amongst most.

Same with African-American rights...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 05:00 PM

400 posts, read 293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
The funny thing is, years ago the anti-interracial marriage folks were saying the same thing- no one wants it, it will never pass, etc. Yet here we are today, with it being perfectly legal. I'd say it'll take 15 years for gay marriage to be legal and widely accepted amongst most.

Same with African-American rights...
And still, about 20% of the population is opposed to interracial marriages...

Majority support didn't even come about until the mid-1990s!

Old 11-05-2011, 05:08 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbous Moon View Post
And still, about 20% of the population is opposed to interracial marriages...

Majority support didn't even come about until the mid-1990s!
Interracial marriage to this day is legal and tolerated, but it is not "highly accepted" or embraced. Gay marriage will one day be legal but it will take generations to be considered the norm, if ever, and as long as religion is around there will be opposition.

Comparing sexual orientation to race is a poor argument anyways as its like comparing apples and oranges. Being gay is more comparable to being left handed.

Old 11-05-2011, 05:11 PM

400 posts, read 293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Interracial marriage to this day is legal and tolerated, but it is not "highly accepted" or embraced. Gay marriage will one day be legal but it will take generations to be considered the norm, if ever, and as long as religion is around there will be opposition.

Comparing sexual orientation to race is a poor argument anyways as its like comparing apples and oranges. Being gay is more comparable to being left handed.
I wasn't comparing sexual orientation to race but the public acceptance of one formerly unlawful and socially taboo marital arrangement to another.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:42 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,361,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
You are incorrect. The spread of HIV world wide is higher in heterosexuals than homosexuals. Heterosexual intercourse is responsible for 70 to 80% of all cases worldwide.

HIV heterosexual transmission and the "Padian paper myth" | AIDSTruth.org

Are homosexuals are 20-30% of the world's population?

Old 11-06-2011, 01:39 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,376,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
A personal object that is made, is as un-natural as being gay. They are man made items... They are created.

Then let's discuss the mind a morality and what is a freak of nature.
There is a mental short circuit, at a very young age, with parenting being a major role, in the direction a child takes in life.
LOL!!!... That's funny!

Oh...were you being serious?

Old 11-06-2011, 02:31 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,156,795 times
I wonder if we'll ever be rid of Freudian psychoanalytic theories.

And speaking of psychology, "rationalization" is a defense mechanism by which your true motivation is concealed by explaining your actions and feelings in a way that is not threatening.

In other words, people who have a hatred of and prejudice against some group of people such as Jews or homosexuals, may tend to come up with "reasons" for that hatred that don't really stand up to close examination. They may have a deep need to hate gays based on primitive suspicions about anything unusual, but simple hatred and bigotry aren't as socially acceptable now as they once were. So they rationalize the hatred - explain it by facts or figures in an attempt to make it seem reasonable, or claim that the targeted group is not "normal", whatever that means.

Old 11-06-2011, 08:08 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,591,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
LOL!!!... That's funny!

Oh...were you being serious?

As a heart attack on the forth of July!

Mental illness is not funny.
Nature will always find a way to eliminate the freaks of nature in all forms of life.
History has proved that over & over, with no variance. To the point entire species have become extinct.

Old 11-06-2011, 08:25 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,156,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
As a heart attack on the forth of July!

Mental illness is not funny.
Nature will always find a way to eliminate the freaks of nature in all forms of life.
History has proved that over & over, with no variance. To the point entire species have become extinct.
I hate to quote myself, but ..... well, actually I don't hate quoting myself. I could do it all day long. Notice that this is sarcastic, not to be read literally:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I guess you mean that gays are freaks. Well, you might have a point there ..... if there's no reason for a mutation and if it's counter-productive, darwinian forces ensure that it will die out soon enough. That's why there are no human homosexuals, they're freaks that have been weeded out of our species ...... err, wait ..... but there ARE homosexuals ..... they've never been weeded out, have they! In fact there seem to be as many as ever!

I wonder how that could be, if they are useless freaks.

Old 11-06-2011, 08:27 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,919,980 times
I never thought about this before.
What is the ratio of heterosexual vs. homosexual rapists?
If there is a significant difference, what are theories for reasons?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies