Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 11:16 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,302,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
It seems all these legendary football coaches flame out at the end of their careers, e.g. Woody Hayes, Bear Bryant and now probably Joe Pa.

Of course coaches flame out at the end of their careers. If they flamed out at the beginning of middle of their careers, then the beginning and middle would be the end.

It's much like 'why do I always find my car keys in the last place I look'. Once you find them, you stop looking.

Last edited by CaseyB; 11-08-2011 at 11:44 AM.. Reason: off topic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 11:23 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,584,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
The police don't have to investigate if they don't want to. Allegations are simply allegations. I'm just saying how the system works. If the victim wishes to file a report then they can.
The police can handle it as they choose, but university officials are mandated reporters.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:34 AM

3,064 posts, read 2,638,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
For these pedophiles its about power and control. Men who like little boys (or little girls) want to have sex with someone who has less of an ability to reject them, they can be more easily overpowered and if the pedophile is grooming a child they can be more easily manipulated.

All the Roman Catholic priest jokes aside, people REALLY need to stop assuming that people (men and women) in positions of authority over their children (teachers, coaches, mentors, tutors, a friend's parents, etc) are to be trusted unconditionally. Its sad but this stuff happens ALL THE TIME.
You are correct. There was a recent story on the Boy Scouts harboring child molesters with confidential files actually called a "perversion file, " containing 5,000 suspected child molesters within their ranks.

There is no such thing as an "overprotective parent."

Records Show Boy Scouts Failed To Report Abuser | Fox News

Unfortunately, anyone desiring to work with children needs to be screened and double screened before being hired and then hired only with the understanding they can be dismissed for the slightest allegation of wrong doing. Parents need to stay involved and vigilent; hopefully not only with regard to their own children but all children.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:47 AM

6,104 posts, read 5,990,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
Maybe the school should be renamed "PED State".

This is a very cheap shot. Speaking as a PSU Alumni (Class of 1977), this horrible scandal is a punch in the gut and we all feel a sense of shame that will take time to pass.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:33 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,530,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
You are correct. There was a recent story on the Boy Scouts harboring child molesters with confidential files actually called a "perversion file, " containing 5,000 suspected child molesters within their ranks.

There is no such thing as an "overprotective parent."

Records Show Boy Scouts Failed To Report Abuser | Fox News

Unfortunately, anyone desiring to work with children needs to be screened and double screened before being hired and then hired only with the understanding they can be dismissed for the slightest allegation of wrong doing. Parents need to stay involved and vigilent; hopefully not only with regard to their own children but all children.
Far too many Americans have a false sense of safety and security on this issue because they think that child molesters only look like the creepy homeless guy in the trench coat who drives an old van. And actually its your kid's 5th grade teacher or their soccer coach or their friend's mother/father/sister/brother or it could be Uncle Joey or Dad's fishing buddy Chuck.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:47 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Gay pedophiles are where ever they need to be, to get to the children. This is why most common sense people want to exclude gays from coaching children's sports or acting as their guidance councilors.
Boy, that's an ignorant thing to say. Anyone who believes that most gays are pedophiles are truly uninformed, to put it nicely.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:48 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,922,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Lets assume for now that what has been reported in the media is accurate.

If it is, ALL of the alleged abuse occurred three years after Sandusky retired as a coach in 1999. The shower incident happened in 2002. And when it was reported to Paterno, he apparently reported it to PSU leaders.

If this happened in a regular business, the witness might have told their manager, who in turn would alert HR. HR would investigate (probably with legal help) and act (or not). I don't think it is reasonable to criticize Paterno for not calling police. He didn't witness the incident.

I am not a PSU alum nor have any connection at all with the school. I am not even a fan. But based on what I have read, Paterno did what he was expected to do. Penn State administration on the other hand, may be guilty of at least not investigating enough.

If we find that Paterno influenced the investigation to protect Sandusky, then Paterno is seriously involved and must be fired or step down.

I am very bothered that the witness apparently did nothing to intervene when he saw the boy being molested.
Administratively I think Paterno did the correct thing. Maybe he assumed someone was looking into the situation. But he had a lot of power at that school and SOMEONE failed to do the right thing in contacting the police.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:57 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,442,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
The police don't have to investigate if they don't want to. Allegations are simply allegations. I'm just saying how the system works. If the victim wishes to file a report then they can.

That is what is puzzling me. I do not think they wanted to get the allegations to the police, this is so obviously.

Old 11-08-2011, 01:36 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Gay is not same as pedophile.
It is homosexual activity, is it not? Isn't the definition of homosexual same sex?

There you go.

Not to worry, pedophilia will be perfectly okay in a few years. After all, who do you think you are that you can infringe on someone's right to sexual freedom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
I don't get this either. Grad student was 28 years old and still couldn't make the decision to call the police on his own, had to talk to Daddy about what to do. If I stumbled upon an old man having anal sex with a 10 year old in a locker room I'd like to think I'd go charging in there with fists up first, deal with who to contact about it later.
It's a Weak New World.

Quote:
Lets assume for now that what has been reported in the media is accurate.

If it is, ALL of the alleged abuse occurred three years after Sandusky retired as a coach in 1999. The shower incident happened in 2002. And when it was reported to Paterno, he apparently reported it to PSU leaders.
Not relevant. He has been doing this for some time, before he became coach and while he was coach. He didn't just start yesterday around tea time.

I've interrogated enough pedophiles and rapists to know that these people are differently twisted in a manner most bizarre. In their eyes, they've done nothing wrong, and it is you who are abnormal because you don't engage in pedophile or rape.

In any event, PSU leaders are not the police. Paterno should have gone straight to the police, instead of straight to PSU leaders so they could cover it up and cover their asses.

Paterno ought to be fired and PSU permanently banned from any Bowl appearances (except for the Pedophile Bowl).

Quote:
If this happened in a regular business, the witness might have told their manager, who in turn would alert HR. HR would investigate (probably with legal help) and act (or not). I don't think it is reasonable to criticize Paterno for not calling police. He didn't witness the incident.
Paterno is an accessory after the fact. That makes him equally guilty.

Paterno is supposed to be a head football coach of a prestigious university and a leader of men. What kind of leader runs and hides behind school authorities?

Old 11-08-2011, 02:27 PM

78,405 posts, read 60,579,949 times
If this had happened at a school with a mediocre football program.....it would have come out a lot earlier.

Basically, the administration allowed a sexual predator to continue these acts BECAUSE IT HELPED THEM WIN FOOTBALL GAMES. Yes. That's the reason....to win football games. Just let that one soak in as it is more important to go to a bowl game than to wreck the lives of numerous young men.

The buck here stops with Joe Pa who is getting a pass because he is a legend there. What a legacy there joe.......

I look forward to the tens of millions of dollars in settlements and fines the school will now get to pay. Better dig deep boosters, might need to cut back on paying top recruits with cash for a while and work down that debt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies