Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 05:26 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,522,763 times

Advertisements

Perhaps the nurses unions (or the individual nurse - if they lack a union) need to be much more proactive in their collective bargaining, crafting employment contracts that outline limited duties they will not perform, or which contain broader opt-out clauses, much the same as the powerful bargaining agents of Hollywood dictate highly specific (and often seemingly odd) employment terms (e.g. movie and television stars who dictate as terms of contract that they must have exctly 6 Bagels from XYZ Bagel store flown in from cross the country daily; they shall provided with a dressing room with gold faucets and marble countertops; they shall have a dozen bottles of expensive shampoo in the dressing room, and three dark chocolate thin mints on their pillow daily.... and other seemingly absurd and seemingly random requests).

If they lack the economic leverage to do that, then they need to try harder, as people in many other industries seem to be able to do it.

Part of the quid pro quo shall be that when an opt-out issue arises, it can be resolved by:

(a) allowing either party to be released from the terms of contract (which may require additional contract refinements such as outlining pension and insurance issues if they are released - or could contain provisions for preferential hiring at some later date),

(b) the hospital can attempt to act in good faith to make all effort to reassign the nurse to other duties, and barring that, the hospital exercises its reciprocal option to terminate the contract [option
(a) above].

This could also stipulate that the nurse agrees to forgo salary for whatever duration of time between when (s)he exercises the opt-out clause until the time that (s)he is reassigned to another duty.

(c) Or however else the two parties want to word their employment agreement or contract.

Maybe nurses do that already. No idea. I know little about their industry. But regardless of the specifics of ones industry, contracts should be the solution.

Last edited by FreedomThroughAnarchism; 11-06-2011 at 05:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 05:40 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
That's just dumb.

The University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey is not a Planned Parenthood Clinic. Unless that were true, your analogy is simply absurd.
They are same day surgery nurses working at an inner-city hospital that performs abortions. Planned parenthood doesn't only perform abortions either. People need to be expected to do their jobs.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:41 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,393,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Get off your high horse, pal. I was responding to someone who said she had never been asked for her position on abortion or had "possibly participate in an abortion" listed among her possible duties. Silly me, I assumed she meant asked by the director of nursing or whoever was doing the hiring. That's what framed my answer. No, thank you very much, in 40 years I have never discussed my personal opinions of same with a patient, let alone one getting an abortion. Give me a little more credit than that.
Not a high horse. I take what I'd consider refusal to perform your duty as a nurse very seriously.

But my conviction run towards, if you put on the uniform, you take all comers...without question.

Last edited by GreyDay; 11-06-2011 at 06:44 PM..

Old 11-06-2011, 05:50 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
"Nurses Sue Hospital for "Forcing" them to Assist in Abortions"

Who needs nurses? All that is required is someone to insert and manipulate the coat hanger.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkingmenace View Post
Doctors used to take an oath to do no harm, yet, they perform abortions...

Nurses go into the practise to help people, to assist the living, to adminster care...

I dont agree that a Nurse should be asked to do this, unless they specifically 'train' to do this
and are prepared for the ramifications of ending a life... Yes, dont think that taking a life doesnt
bring mental reperations, when it goes against your 'ideals'.

Nurses are expected to be able to work in all factions of a hospital, be it the Emergency Room,
Caring for Patients, Assiting in Operations, and anything in between.

But, the Hospital should have asked each one, when they were hired, if they have any problems
with assisting in an abortion, and, if so, then they should of made provisions so that they
wouldnt be forced to do so. It only makes sense, since they, the Administrators have the responsibillty of the Hospital to uphold, and, this will impair the Nursing Staff, and the Doctors who work with them, now that its being brough to the forefront.

My personal beliefs are with the Nurses, but, thats only my opinion, which dont amount to a hill of beans in this situation, only that I hope its resolved, and that the Hospital can get back to Patient Care, and life settles down.

I wish you well...

Jesse
Primun Non Nocere.

But to above all do good.

Last edited by GreyDay; 11-06-2011 at 06:43 PM..

Old 11-06-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
"Nurses Sue Hospital for "Forcing" them to Assist in Abortions"

Who needs nurses? All that is required is someone to insert and manipulate the coat hanger.
Really? Not funny. Not called for. Plenty of women (and many in third world countries) die/died horrific deaths from sepsis. Infants have been delivered with limbs missing as the abortion was only a partial dismemberment.

So again, why joke about this?

Old 11-06-2011, 06:00 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
Really? Not funny. Not called for. Plenty of women (and many in third world countries) die/died horrific deaths from sepsis. Infants have been delivered with limbs missing as the abortion was only a partial dismemberment.

So again, why joke about this?
Something for the anti-abortionists to have a good laugh about. Bring back the good ole days!

Old 11-06-2011, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Something for the anti-abortionists to have a good laugh about. Bring back the good ole days!
I understand the sarcasm, which I assume is really aimed at wanting to keep it legal and prevent these so called 'back alley abortions'.

But the thread is on the objection to performing duty not the mores of the subject.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:40 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
Not a high horse. I take what I'd consider refusal to perform your duty as a nurse very seriously. For me it's really black and white. If the patient has Hep C or something worse, I've heard nurses say they weren't comfortable scrubbing in.

I would hope any objections would be dealt with at the nurse level and not get kicked up any higher.

But my conviction run towards, if you put on the uniform, you take all comers...without question. That's how I was trained.

I would however try to accomadate any nurse that had issues with assisting. But as you know, sometimes there isn't extra personnel, general nursing scrubbing knees not being able to load wires, ortho nurses tossing their cookies on a debridement...you try to do what's asked of you.
First of all, you implied I would share my beliefs with patients.

Secondly, virtually every hospital I know of has a policy of not requiring nurses who are opposed to abortion to assist in the performance of same.

Thirdly, Hep C is not abortion. There are many misconceptions about lots of conditions in health care. In the early days of AIDS, people had all sorts of nutty ideas. These incorrect notions need to be dispelled.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
First of all, you implied I would share my beliefs with patients.

Secondly, virtually every hospital I know of has a policy of not requiring nurses who are opposed to abortion to assist in the performance of same.

Thirdly, Hep C is not abortion. There are many misconceptions about lots of conditions in health care. In the early days of AIDS, people had all sorts of nutty ideas. These incorrect notions need to be dispelled.
It seemed that way from the phrasing. My mistake. Nutty ideas still persist however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies