Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 02:25 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
No, it wasn't about "attendance." That's a Liberal Pipe Dream that helps them to try assuade any connection to their support for Muslim influence in America. It's always something else. In this case it's "attendance," not a separation of church and state issue.....the issues that they love to bring forth when Christianity is involved.
And what is it when schools close for Yom Kippur and Rosh Hashanah?

I've no issue with schools closing for any holiday as long as that is what the local community wants and as long as it is applied equally. For example, I could understand the OP's point a little better if, for example, this particular district was giving up closing for Christmas, say, so that they could close for EID, but, they aren't are they?

Did a little trip down memory lane, being a former student of the NYC school system, and the current calendar notes with regard to spring break that the days school will be closed include observance of Good Friday, Easter and Passover. Says so right on the calendar!

Last edited by TigerLily24; 11-07-2011 at 02:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 02:39 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,516,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
And what is it when schools close for Yom Kippur and Rosh Hashanah?

I've no issue with schools closing for any holiday as long as that is what the local community wants and as long as it is applied equally. For example, I could understand the OP's point a little better if, for example, this particular district was giving up closing for Christmas, say, so that they could close for EID, but, they aren't are they?

Did a little trip down memory lane, being a former student of the NYC school system, and the current calendar notes with regard to spring break that the days school will be closed include observance of Good Friday, Easter and Passover. Says so right on the calendar!
this. good post.

Old 11-07-2011, 03:01 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,044,541 times
What is it with the OP, like too many Conservatives, wanting to have their hand into every aspect of a community.
Here's a local community that wants to have a certain day off from school.
Why not, whatever the reason? It's not anyone's business but the community's.

Yes - I know. It is exactly what the right says about the left.

Old 11-07-2011, 03:07 PM

1,116 posts, read 1,209,806 times
Your premise is incorrect. Schools close in observance of religious holidays in respect of their students and staff (and because nobody would show up). Since the predominant religions vary by area, it stands to reason that school would observer the holidays observed in their area.

Old 11-07-2011, 03:10 PM

779 posts, read 537,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
What is it with the OP, like too many Conservatives, wanting to have their hand into every aspect of a community.
Here's a local community that wants to have a certain day off from school.
Why not, whatever the reason? It's not anyone's business but the community's.

Yes - I know. It is exactly what the right says about the left.
Yeah the right claims to be anti big govt. but they really are big govt. too, they just allocate their effort and funds differently.

Old 11-07-2011, 03:19 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,844,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
I thought the public schools were not allowed to observe religious holidays? I haven't seen a public school give Easter Monday or Good Friday off in decades. Winter break tends to coincide with Christmas, but I haven't heard of the public schools giving a "Christmas" break in years. I've never heard of public schools celebrating Hannaka. Why is this religious Muslim Holiday being honored in a public school???

"Some Massachusetts public school students have a day off this week, but it has nothing to do with power outages or snow...The Cambridge school system is believed to be the first in Massachusetts to give all students a day off for a Muslim holiday...Students are getting Tuesday off for Eid al-Adha, also known as the Festival of Sacrifice, the Boston Globe reports."

Read more: Massachusetts School District Marks Muslim Holiday | Fox News

Eid al-Adha - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Eid al-Adha (Arabic: عيد الأضحى‎ ‘Īd al-’Aḍḥá, IPA: [ʕiːd al ʔadˁˈħaː], "feast of sacrifice") or "Festival of Sacrifice" or "Greater Eid" is an important religious holiday celebrated by Muslims worldwide to commemorate the willingness of Abraham (Ibrahim) to sacrifice his son Ishmael (Isma'il) as an act of obedience to God, before God intervened to provide him with a sheep— to sacrifice instead.[1]"
Its done all the time.

White Plains Public Schools / Calendar

Check out Sept 29th and 30th for White Plains public schools. They have been doing this for decades. What is the point of having a school open if a large percentage of the students will not show up?

Old 11-07-2011, 03:30 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,147,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
I thought the public schools were not allowed to observe religious holidays? I haven't seen a public school give Easter Monday or Good Friday off in decades. Winter break tends to coincide with Christmas, but I haven't heard of the public schools giving a "Christmas" break in years. I've never heard of public schools celebrating Hannaka. Why is this religious Muslim Holiday being honored in a public school???
They give the day off because the overwhelming majority of the children's families celebrate the holiday, and would just take their children out of school regardless.

Maybe it's a tough concept for some people. but our government, our laws, and where and how we allow taxpayer money to be spent, are all a direct reflection of the people and our society. The idea that we even educate our children thru a public school system is a reflection of the desires of the people. A public education is not in the US Constitution. The subjects being taught to our children are also a reflection of the desires the people hold as important.

Old 11-07-2011, 04:29 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,678,035 times
Cambridge is 1.2% Muslim.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:11 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,638,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
Cambridge is 1.2% Muslim.
Are you serious??? If so, something is not right here.

Do you happen to have a link to back this up?

Old 11-07-2011, 06:15 PM

1,970 posts, read 1,761,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullCity75 View Post
Your premise is incorrect. Schools close in observance of religious holidays in respect of their students and staff (and because nobody would show up). Since the predominant religions vary by area, it stands to reason that school would observer the holidays observed in their area.
You want local running of the schools? I sure do. Then it is and has been time to shut the DOE down and stop the federal government from being involved at all in any public school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies