Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 07:32 PM

4,428 posts, read 4,480,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Federal debt/deficit, social security, wealth inequality, offshoring of jobs, immigration, education, and several other areas should have all been addressed well over 10 years ago because these are all broken areas.

I don't even know why I posted on this section. No one here can do anything except blindly blame the other party and regurgitate the nonsense they hear on TV/Radio. Probably part of the reason why this country is in such a big mess.

These aren't talking points.

Since Obama has wasted 4,000,000,000,000 dollars of taxpayer money. Yes, that's 4 trillion dollars that your Grandchildren will be paying off a portion of, still, NOW might be the right time to be looking at federal debt/deficit and social security.

If you support Obama again, you'll be doubling our troubles as a Nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 07:33 PM

3,523 posts, read 3,728,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Yooperkat"If one of the basic tenets of the American dream is for the next generation to do better than the one before, then why doesn't this generation make it better?

Instead of wishing that the generation before them would just hand it to them."

Your post is reprehensible. Hand it to them, get real. By the way, I'm in my early 50s, and of course, someday expect to get SS at a somewhat reduced rate, adjusted for inflation. I will NOt vote for any candidate who fails to support raising the SS age at least 3 years for anyone not presently in their 60s. (Yes, to get my vote, one must DEMAND my sacrifice).
I am appalled by the AARP We're 50 mill strong grannys who HATE their grandkids so much, they refuse to allow any changes to anyone. The Greatest Generation and the "Still Babies" Boomers are polar opposites in terms of doing for country, and having character. I hope the kids vote far, far more, and AGAINST anything the AARP stands for. I WILL be.

Generational warfare against MY generation is something long overdue. In aggregate, we are committing genocide. We got here on the backs of prior gens who BUILT the foundation we stood on. We're still acting like babies. We are an irresponsible generation.
Commendable post. The Boomers will never be The Greatest Generation in their wildest dreams.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:48 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,867,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budgetlord View Post
Because it isn't my job to teach your sons and daughters what you should have taught them. I am trying to make it better (being the parent for you) and you're sending me your broken and misguided children.
"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."

--Socrates (469–399 B.C.)

This ranting at the generations that come behind us is nothing new. Every generation has a comparable rant. There are high and low achievers in every generation. Get over yourself.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:53 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
The selfish rants come from those who want to do SQUAT for any behind them, ignore what was done to aid them in getting what they did, and they rant because they lack the GUTS to at least admit their absolute 100% selfishness to not give a da*n about any coming after them. But to paraphrase my fav line from the movie "Titanic"-"They are loooking for an absolution that will never come". Nor should it come.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:02 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post

Wonderful.

This means older people have been saving their OWN money for retirement.... while the younger ones are living beyond their means.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."

--Socrates (469–399 B.C.)

This ranting at the generations that come behind us is nothing new. Every generation has a comparable rant. There are high and low achievers in every generation. Get over yourself.
Good post.

There are losers in every generation that just look to blame somebody else for their failures. Winners suck it up and live responsibly.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:09 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 22 days ago)

27,631 posts, read 16,115,213 times
From generation why to the entitlement generation. Wont matter in 50 years

Old 11-07-2011, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Wonderful.

This means older people have been saving their OWN money for retirement.... while the younger ones are living beyond their means.
Hmmmm, could it be that the older generation has had years and years to save for retirement, and the younger generations are either just starting out and haven't had the time or opportunity yet to accumulate wealth; or that they are in the hard middle years of raising children and all of the money that entails? Nah, it must mean that everyone who is younger than retirees are simply lazy and living beyond their means. Yeah, that wraps it all up neatly for you, doesn't it? You may return now to your holier than thou fantasyland.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Hmmmm, could it be that the older generation has had years and years to save for retirement, and the younger generations are either just starting out and haven't had the time or opportunity yet to accumulate wealth; or that they are in the hard middle years of raising children and all of the money that entails? Nah, it must mean that everyone who is younger than retirees are simply lazy and living beyond their means. Yeah, that wraps it all up neatly for you, doesn't it? You may return now to your holier than thou fantasyland.
"Lazy" is your word. Not mine.

Nice deflection.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
"Lazy" is your word. Not mine.

Nice deflection.
Fair enough. Remove the word. It doesn't change the post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies