Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can you agree with all these points?
Yes 33 73.33%
No 12 26.67%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 08:25 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,749,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Specifically which number(s) caused you to vote no and why?
2 (you presented a lopsided, not a balanced view)
3 (and why is that? Do republicans and democrats, conservatives and liberals agree on the causes and the motivations?)
4 (Another unbalanced view)
7 (whining about regulations without perspective, whats new?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 08:25 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,365,663 times
Quote:
There is a big divide between Conservatives and Liberals but in my opinion most of that is not in regards to what the problems arebut how they should be fixed. If you take the Tea Party and the OWS crowd the basis for their complaints is the same to some degree. Who could agree with the following.

1. A lot of our government is corrupt, both Republicans and Democrats.
2. Our Government spends way too much money.
3. Special interests both Republican and Democratic causes carry far too much weight in the decisions our leaders make.
4. The tax system is broke and taxes far too high both personal and business.
5. The education system is broken.
6. Religion, Gays and other similar social issues..... Your business, not mine until you get in my face about it.
7. Both laws for citizens and regulations for business are far too many.

If you can't answer yes to everyone of these question please answer no. I've no doubt this will turn into political bickering but lets try an avoid that? What we need in this topic is finding out what the common ground is.
4. Is where you lose me. Corporations pay a 1.6% effective tax rate on average. That is the result of a great deal of large corporations paying no taxes.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:27 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,690,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
4. Is where you lose me. Corporations pay a 1.6% effective tax rate on average. That is the result of a great deal of large corporations paying no taxes.
Taxes are too high on small businesses.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
Taxes are too high on small businesses.
There is no greater tax on small businesses than large corporations running the government. And why does it happen? Large corporations take, as a typical conservative likes to talk about, "risks".

Old 11-08-2011, 08:33 AM

11,754 posts, read 14,596,964 times
Quote:

I'm going to assume that "setting aside half of # 3" would suggest the poster thinks that special interests on the Democrat/liberal side do not carry too much influence in policy decisons. That is absurd and it would be equally absurd to suggest Republican/Conservative special interests do not carry too much influence.
You clearly have a serious reading comprehension problem.

I didn't say anything about whether I, personally, agree with your list of points. What I said was that they are largely the Republican platform.

One part of it that is not the Republican platform is the half of # 3 that says that Republican special interests have too much power. Obviously, no Republican would agree with that.

The same with the religion/personal behavior point. The Republican base doesn't agree that religion and personal behavior are nobody else's business. They want the government, in the form of the public schools, to be involved in religious indoctrination. They want to deny women reproductive rights and power over their own bodies, both with regard to abortion and even birth control (watch Mississippi today). They want the government to be able to discriminate against same-sex couples on the basis of private behavior that hurts nobody.

Aside from those points, though, you're just parroting Republican talking points.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:33 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,188,970 times
not answering the poll, it would involve a black/white answer to questions that are clearly differents shades of gray. In many ways the system is in trouble but when you put it next to anything else around the world it is at or near the top.

the problem is the powers that be, the 1%ers if you will, have taken complete control of the wealth in this country and are keeping us occupied with this BS infighting over the scraps they knock of the table. Until the middle class put politics and silly wedge issues aside we will continue to lose ground within this countries economy and within the world economy. we are becoming a third world country.
Quote:
There is a big divide between Conservatives and Liberals but in my opinion most of that is not in regards to what the problems are but how they should be fixed. If you take the Tea Party and the OWS crowd the basis for their complaints is the same to some degree. Who could agree with the following.

1. A lot of our government is corrupt, both Republicans and Democrats.
2. Our Government spends way too much money.
3. Special interests both Republican and Democratic causes carry far too much weight in the decisions our leaders make.
4. The tax system is broke and taxes far too high both personal and business.
5. The education system is broken.
6. Religion, Gays and other similar social issues..... Your business, not mine until you get in my face about it.
7. Both laws for citizens and regulations for business are far too many.

If you can't answer yes to everyone of these question please answer no. I've no doubt this will turn into political bickering but lets try an avoid that? What we need in this topic is finding out what the common ground is.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:39 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,614,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
effective corporate rates are low, but not that low.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:44 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,873,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
2 (you presented a lopsided, not a balanced view)
3 (and why is that? Do republicans and democrats, conservatives and liberals agree on the causes and the motivations?)
4 (Another unbalanced view)
7 (whining about regulations without perspective, whats new?)
I'm not going to play games with you in this thread, be specific in your responses.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:48 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,365,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
effective corporate rates are low, but not that low.
As an average it is and here is why. The bulk of companies paid between 17.5%-less then 0% tax while only a quarter paid 30% or more.

Thirty top companies profited without paying tax, study finds - PBN.com - Providence Business News

On a side note I would love to pay 0% in taxes, or have a negative tax rate of -3.9% and have people brainwashed into thinking my taxes are too high.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
I'm not going to play games with you in this thread, be specific in your responses.
Don't try to play games. Because I wasn't when I listed your points and why I didn't agree. You asked for it, after all. Just try to understand what you've been presented with. Can't handle it? Stop crying and move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies