Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 01:20 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
At least you're consistent.

well, senator reid did say that paying taxes were voluntary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 01:21 AM

1,337 posts, read 1,522,763 times
Will Congress be statutorily required to reduce spending in an amount directly proportional to the reduction in revenue as a result of the tax breaks?

A provision like that (despite it being fairly easy for the sleazebag politicians to circumvent with artful bookkeeping tricks which politicians seem to excel at), might at least might make the special interest exemption slightly (more palatable / less odious).

Old 11-09-2011, 01:24 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,415,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Had2SaySumthin View Post
Exactly, now go be free from the financial assistance of others and pay your own way. Either that, or ask your parents. Otherwise, get a job. I've got my own kids to support, thank you.
Translation:

Quote:
"I got mine, frick you."
The mantra of the right.

"Every man for himself" does not work for any society. Humans are social animals. We need each other to survive.

Quote:
Oh and by the way? You can stay in school for the next 20 years. Your professors will have little success in changing that attitude of yours. If you sat before me with your cute little resume, loaded with useless education credentials, talking like that, I'd probably have it shredded before you could make it to the elevator.
Good thing I'll never work for you .

Old 11-09-2011, 01:42 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Quote:
Translation:

The mantra of the right.

"Every man for himself" does not work for any society. Humans are social animals. We need each other to survive.

Good thing I'll never work for you .
The arrogant snob store called...they're running out of you.

Old 11-09-2011, 04:33 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Quote:
Isn't that what the Tea Party wants? Low / no taxes for everyone? Oh that's right, that only applies to the generationally wealthy, the rich traders, and the job-killing corporate CEOs. Us average peons should be taxed to death to keep the right's bottom-up wealth redistribution scheme going.
Taxed to death? 47% of Americans pay no income tax. I'll sign up for that!

Old 11-09-2011, 05:35 AM

7,930 posts, read 9,154,161 times
Why isnt the op protesting against the college who is providing the low wage?
I also wonder why the occupy groups are not protesting more against colleges that charge such high tuition. Instead they are mad about the interest paid on their loans.
It makes it seem that these groups are just democratic party fronts as they wont go against the party contributors.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:39 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Looks like people prefer the current system that has a huge amount of grad students on food stamps I see.
I see the options as silly.

They shouldn't be living on food stamps, it is ridiculous. This should be stopped.

Nor should we make them tax exempt either, this is also ridiculous.

How about... if you want to go to school, you work and go to school to pay for yourself? Many do this and don't welch off the system. There are plenty of options out there that do not require giving freebies.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:43 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
I've lived off of less while living in Boston w/o having to rely on food stamps or getting tax exemptions. just had to be really frugal
Or just give them each a book (taxpayer paid) on Frugality.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:45 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
or would you rather them live off of food stamps?

Many graduate students live off of what amounts to about $19-20k per year before taxes in high expense cities like Boston (lots of good schools there). So should we let grad students be tax exempt or would you rather prefer that they live off of food stamps? We're even talking about productive degrees here--chemistry, mathematics, physics, materials sciences, etc. etc. all pay horrifically low stipends.
Neither.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:50 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,452,677 times
Funny, the privileged leftists here asking for handouts...... Oh my, what a friggin' disgrace this thread is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies