Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 11:21 PM

177 posts, read 139,274 times

Advertisements

Autism is a choice. People need to stop pushing their autistic agenda on us. /sarcasm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 12:04 AM

1,329 posts, read 832,049 times
I think autism is mostly genetic.

In the past in the 60's alot of kids were diagnosed mentally retarded instead of autistic. I have a friend with Asperger's who was diagnosed at age 10 as mentally retarded, but later was diagnosed as having Asperger's. At one time I was diagnosed with obsessive compulsive disorder and hypomania too, before being correctly diagnosed as having Asperger's only a few years ago. This is why you are seeing an autism "epidemic", there really is none, just better diagnostic tools.

If mercury were causing anything, it should be mental retardation, not autism. Autism is not the same as mental retardation, as people with autism can have very high intelligence in many areas. Autism is a brain that's been wired very unusually, not a brain that's been stunted, and if anything, these studies confirm that.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:06 AM

3,004 posts, read 3,885,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT113876 View Post
I think autism is mostly genetic.

In the past in the 60's alot of kids were diagnosed mentally retarded instead of autistic. I have a friend with Asperger's who was diagnosed at age 10 as mentally retarded, but later was diagnosed as having Asperger's. At one time I was diagnosed with obsessive compulsive disorder and hypomania too, before being correctly diagnosed as having Asperger's only a few years ago. This is why you are seeing an autism "epidemic", there really is none, just better diagnostic tools.

If mercury were causing anything, it should be mental retardation, not autism. Autism is not the same as mental retardation, as people with autism can have very high intelligence in many areas. Autism is a brain that's been wired very unusually, not a brain that's been stunted, and if anything, these studies confirm that.

No, this has been debunked, and debunked, and debunked, and then debunked again.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:38 AM

1,147 posts, read 909,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
No, this has been debunked, and debunked, and debunked, and then debunked again.
It's partly true.

There is a genetic predisposition that allows autism to happen.

...and I think we know what makes it happen.

However given the rabid defenders of big pharm on this forum, I'll refrain from pointing the finger at vaccines.

I mean why bother, right?

Thousands of other parents are already doing it, having seen their children regress into autism after a round of shots.

...but I digress Nite!

Old 11-09-2011, 12:55 AM

1,329 posts, read 832,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Had2SaySumthin View Post
I

I mean why bother, right?

Thousands of other parents are already doing it, having seen their children regress into autism after a round of shots.
A good discussion on why there's little evidence that autism is on the rise:

Autism Blog - Autism – The Epidemic That Never Was « Left Brain/Right Brain

Parents that find their kids regressing into autism would find the same behaviors whether or not their kids were vaccinated. It just so happens that vaccines coincide with the usual time that parents notice autistic behaviors in their children. However, that doesn't mean vaccines cause autism.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:07 AM

1,147 posts, read 909,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT113876 View Post
A good discussion on why there's little evidence that autism is on the rise:

Autism Blog - Autism – The Epidemic That Never Was « Left Brain/Right Brain

Parents that find their kids regressing into autism would find the same behaviors whether or not their kids were vaccinated. It just so happens that vaccines coincide with the usual time that parents notice autistic behaviors in their children. However, that doesn't mean vaccines cause autism.
Yeah ok, you go right ahead and believe that.

What are you, an Aspie who believes autism is a new type of person, or a health professional who doesn't want to come to terms with all of the carnage they've perpetrated over the last few decades?

Yeah, I've been at this a while.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:15 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,061,247 times
Since its becoming so prevalent in developed countries and only fairly recently, you have to explore all potential causes. Amish communities for example, have extremely low rates of autism. Why is that?
I think there's a possible connection between the exposure of electromagnetic fields to a fetus as well as possibly ultrasounds. Computers, microwaves, cell phones, they should all be looked into as being potentially harmul to an unborn child.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:05 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post
Very interesting and if the research does find a pre-natal cause for autism maybe the anti-vaccine loons will finally be quiet.
If it is pre-natal, then you won't need vaccines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
I mean, c'monn, what about "the womb" has changed so horribly?!
Your diet.

Quote:
Can't rep you any more. There are numerous doctors and scientists who are not buying the smoke and mirrors either. Something makes some children vulnerable, and something is triggering the process that leads to the development of autism. Eventually the truth will come out. I mean, the real truth.
Don't count on it.

Did you read the WHO study on asthma?

Probably not, and now you can't, because it was buried.

Children born and raised in the dirtiest most polluted cities on Earth have a lower occurrence of asthma than US children born in the least polluted cities.

How is that even possible?

What do US infants have that infants in other countries don't have? Wall-to-wall carpeting made from oil-based synthetic fibers.

They don't have wall-to-wall carpeting in other countries. Usually they have no carpeting at all, but if they do, then it is made of pure plant fibers or pure animal fibers, nothing synthetic.

There's also central air/heat. They don't have that in other countries. So in the US, infants spend the first few years in effectively what is a closed environment. Sure, you can buy HEPA filters, but assuming they work, you have to change them every 30 days, not once every 4 years.

Anyway, it got buried because of the potential damage to the US economy. It would harm carpet manufacturers, and installers and create liability for landlords, home developers, home remodelers, carpet retailers and wholesalers, and the carpet industry, and if central heat/air was a factor, you'd have tremendous liability issues there as well.

Seriously, suppose there truly was link between the epidemic of obesity and Type II Diabetes and the oil in your food.

You really think they would tell you that?

Quote:
Well, you'll have to show me, because I haven't seen it. Altering and expanding the definition of autism did result in an increase in the number of persons being diagnosed with autism, just as altering and changing the definition of PTSD resulted in more people being diagnosed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Since its becoming so prevalent in developed countries and only fairly recently, you have to explore all potential causes. Amish communities for example, have extremely low rates of autism. Why is that?
I think there's a possible connection between the exposure of electromagnetic fields to a fetus as well as possibly ultrasounds. Computers, microwaves, cell phones, they should all be looked into as being potentially harmul to an unborn child.
That is epidemiology, trying to pin down the cause of something.

I think the culprit is oil.

It was just 20 years ago that you first started putting light sweet foreign imported crude oil in your food.

Yeah, I'm talking Arabian Light (Saudi Arabia), Tijuana Light (Venezuela), Bonny Light (Nigeria) and all the others.

Since then, you've had a massive epidemic of obesity, Type II Diabetes, an alleged increase in Autism, and an alleged increase in the number of birth defects and genetic disorders.

There's also been an increase in asthma, but I don't see that as related to oil in food, rather it is related to affluence and having central air/heat and/or oil-based synthetic carpet fibers.

It would certainly be interesting to raise a group of kids on a diet 100% free of light sweet foreign imported crude oil, and without central air/heat or synthetic carpet and see how they turn out health wise.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:13 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,129,761 times
Anyone that denies autism has at least a genetic component is clueless.

I know lots of autism parents, and they all go through this phase of looking for environmental causes...I think they may be predisposed to believe in them instead of accepting that it might have been their own genes plus some bad luck.

IMHO, most likely a genetic predisposition towards neuronal migration, possibly with an in utero environmental trigger, or some combination thereof.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:31 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,135,399 times
The article about facial characteristics was interesting. It's funny to me, as a former teacher, that scientists weren't aware (or didn't seem aware) of the differences in facial features in autistic children vs. typical children. I could tell the second a kid walked into my class, based on their face. I've spoken to many other teachers who have had the same experience. I've been able to tell in children as young as two, even though autism isn't typically diagnosed until age four or older.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies