Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 03:25 PM

7,084 posts, read 12,022,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpanda View Post
And this still leads back to how people are too sensitive.
Yeah, some people are way too easily offended about bigotry.

Stormfront loves company for those who think people shouldn't be so easily offended by it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 03:27 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,351,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
How about if people were using it around your children? You don't think slurs like ni**er, and f*g, and k*ke, etc inform your children about the groups they are targeted to dehumanize?
No ******s, f*gs or k*kes were dehumanized by the use of the words.

Use of the words towards blacks gays or Jews exemplifies the ignorance of the person using them. If anything the user of the words for others are the real subhumans.

'Teach your children well.....' and they'll grow up with a better view of everybody.

Old 11-09-2011, 03:38 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,591,341 times
I'm gay, and I think this is ridiculous. I'm very sure that the director was not referring to homosexuals when he used the word 'f*ggots'. I believe that the primary definition of 'f*g' or 'f*ggots' nowadays is something much more general. It usually means idiot, jerk, loser, weakling, etc. Even I use the term from time to time.

I don't like this culture of hypersensitivity where everybody has to walk on eggshells whenever they speak in public. We lose a lot of freedom of expression when certain words are forbidden. At least we have the First Amendment which prohibits the government from saying what we want to say. I just wish people would practice that philosophy in their private lives too.

Old 11-09-2011, 03:41 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,123,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shpanda View Post
And this still leads back to how people are too sensitive.
So because you don't care, you criticize others for caring? I think we need to respect the sensitivity of others even if we can't fathom why. To do otherwise is to end up like you. Oh, is this post offensive? I thought words didn't offend you.

Frankly, my jaw dropped when I read what the guy said. And I find it offensive that it's still OK to disparage gay people so easily. We must all be genetically defective or something. We seem to want to have one group of people that is beneath us, that we can spit on with impunity. I hope we outgrow this soon.

Old 11-09-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
I think we need to respect the sensitivity of others even if we can't fathom why.
I agree, but this wasn't about respecting the sensitivity of others. This was a reaction designed to shame, scold, and silence.

Quote:
Frankly, my jaw dropped when I read what the guy said. And I find it offensive that it's still OK to disparage gay people so easily.
I seriously doubt he intended to disparage gay people with that off-the-cuff comment.

Old 11-09-2011, 03:49 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,123,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I'm gay, and I think this is ridiculous. I'm very sure that the director was not referring to homosexuals when he used the word 'f*ggots'. I believe that the primary definition of 'f*g' or 'f*ggots' nowadays is something much more general. It usually means idiot, jerk, loser, weakling, etc. Even I use the term from time to time.

I don't like this culture of hypersensitivity where everybody has to walk on eggshells whenever they speak in public. We lose a lot of freedom of expression when certain words are forbidden. At least we have the First Amendment which prohibits the government from saying what we want to say. I just wish people would practice that philosophy in their private lives too.
How does one differentiate hypersensitivity from regular ordinary sensitivity? If we can't be the first one, how would we know when we're abandoning the second one? I think we need to respect each other. It is the offending group that dictates what is allowed, not the majority opinion, not the offensive speaker, and not the freedom of speech being applied conveniently to allow someone to be offensive.

I'm also gay, but I found the use of that term by the producer to be pretty offensive. I can't think of any situation where a heterosexual can use it without being offensive.

Having just read your post above this one, I guess we just see it differently. He may not have intended, but he did nevertheless.

Last edited by mhouse2001; 11-09-2011 at 04:03 PM..

Old 11-09-2011, 03:55 PM

Quote:
It is the offending group that dictates what is allowed, not the majority opinion, not the offensive speaker, and not the freedom of speech being applied conveniently to allow someone to be offensive.
Wrong, wrong, wrong, my friend. It is the individual who dictates which words are acceptable for his own use. Yes, others are free to react to an individual's words, but I'm not at all comfortable with forbidding the use of certain words, especially a word like 'f*g' or 'f*ggot' which can have more than one meaning.

Quote:
I'm also gay, but I found the use of that term by the producer to be pretty offensive. I can't think of any situation where a heterosexual used it that wouldn't be offensive.
Are you also offended when homosexuals use the word? If not, why not?

Quote:
Having just read your post above this one, I guess we just see it differently.
Yes, we do see it differently, and that's fine.

Old 11-09-2011, 04:15 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,022,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post

I agree.
I absolutely don't think anyone should be verbally abusing anyone --gay, black, white, straight, left-handed, dyslexic, or whatever.

It was the whole "Now he shall sit before a board of GLADD people and go through some kind of
Hollywood judicial process, apologize, repent for his sins,
and be an example for others."

It's all quite silly.

Old 11-09-2011, 04:30 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,165,826 times
Quote:
So because you don't care, you criticize others for caring? I think we need to respect the sensitivity of others even if we can't fathom why. To do otherwise is to end up like you. Oh, is this post offensive? I thought words didn't offend you.

Frankly, my jaw dropped when I read what the guy said. And I find it offensive that it's still OK to disparage gay people so easily. We must all be genetically defective or something. We seem to want to have one group of people that is beneath us, that we can spit on with impunity. I hope we outgrow this soon.
I never said your post offended me.

It doesn't. I'd rather be like me than you who takes things like words too seriously.

Old 11-09-2011, 04:43 PM

2,239 posts, read 1,379,856 times
Enough with the pc crap! Certainly we should try to be civil and not offend others, but OMG, must one be crucified over a slip of the tongue? I mean, really, people, butch up!

Oh, sorry...I didn't mean that, you know, THAT way...sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies