Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 10:52 AM

37,958 posts, read 22,131,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
This may be quite idealistic but I like to see less gap between rich and poor.

However, I generally oppose achieving the smaller rich-poor gap through government intervention.

If I had to choose between free markets and a government-induced artificially small rich-poor gap, I'll choose free markets. (Whether or not this can be achieved through free markets alone, I do not know.)

What do you think?
I think the gap will continue to grow, as it should.

As our economy and income levels grow, the people who have no job, and live off the welfare state will see a wider income gap between themselves and the middle class, and the upper class, its inevitable. In an economy and jobs market like we have today, the numbers are skewed, because more people are out of work, and others are sitting on their money waiting for the 0bama storm to pass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 03:15 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,440,907 times
bbbbbbbbbbb
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
As long as you are being paid market wages for YOU SKILL SET, that is equality. You want more? Learn more and do more, it's that simple.

Many people are not being paid market wages for their respective skill sets.

Every skill set has its own income distribution; some are in the 90th percentile and some are in the 10th percentile.

Do you believe both 90th percentile janitors and 10th percent janitors are paid market wages?

Old 11-10-2011, 03:21 AM

b
Quote:
You get paid according to your skill set, no more no less. That money is not yours, it's the corporations money. They earned theirs and you earned yours. You jealous MFers are a piece of work. What you are saying is just like saying, "hey, I live in your same neighborhood and I don't make as much as you and have as much, so give me a piece of YOUR pie!"

I once had a janitor job where I had some of the highest skills of the employees (floor care) yet I was paid one-third as much (one-fifth as much in total compensation including benefits) as some of the other employees who only pushed brooms and emptied wastebaskets..

How do you explain that?

Old 11-10-2011, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
In an economy and jobs market like we have today, the numbers are skewed, because more people are out of work, and others are sitting on their money waiting for the 0bama storm to pass.

Sitting on their money? Sounds like the bratty kid who takes his ball and goes home when he doesn't get his way.

Why don't these people get a work ethic and become productive members of society?

Old 11-10-2011, 03:49 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,477,772 times
Quote:
No shyt Sherlock.
Quote:
You jealous MFers are a piece of work.
Think manage to post without cussing out the other posters? Swearing all the time indicates lower vocab skills, lower intelligence, and really poor social skills.

Old 11-10-2011, 04:41 AM

488 posts, read 554,545 times
Quote:
You get paid according to your skill set, no more no less. That money is not yours, it's the corporations money. They earned theirs and you earned yours. You jealous MFers are a piece of work. What you are saying is just like saying, "hey, I live in your same neighborhood and I don't make as much as you and have as much, so give me a piece of YOUR pie!"
Then, following your logic, the skill set of the average CEO rose approximately 300% between 1990 and 2005. How can that be true, though, if we are in one of the worst economic times since the great depression? Why are bankruptcies increasing? Why have we had 8 or so world record bankcuptcies? If the skill set of the people running these companies are truly commensurate with their salary I simply don't understand how they didn't avoid the situation they've gotten us into.

There's more to it than your simplistic explanation of skill set equals higher pay.

Old 11-10-2011, 05:03 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,177,249 times
Isn't one of the questions....why do companies appear to be so willing to give outrageous pay and benefits packages to CEO's that do not increase the profit or value of the company?
If they are able to do so, then they must be worth it,yes?

Old 11-10-2011, 05:29 AM

1,147 posts, read 908,969 times
I say let the chips fall where they may. We do need government to regulate certain aspects, but manipulating whole markets is the wrong thing to do.

For instance, the RE market. How many small banks and how many small real estate investors were stopped in their tracks because of government intervention?

I didn't get involved in the buying frenzy that occurred early last decade, because it wasn't created by a market. It was created by the government. The government giveth, and they taketh away.

A market on the other hand is much more predictable. You can speculate with a market. You can make calculated risks, and reap the rewards if you're right.

So I waited and waited for this RE bubble to explode. It never actually did. Houses didn't drop to where they should have. Yes, I've dipped in a bit just because waiting is costing more, but I shouldn't have to go through this. Folks who don't deserve to have homes should lose them, and rent. The market should drop, the big banks should fall, and the small banks and small investors should be allowed to pick up the pieces and generate wealth for themselves.

Our government put a stop to that.

They protected big banks that should not be big.

They protected "homeowners" that never should have purchased a home.

So once again, the people doing the right thing and playing it straight got screwed by the government, while the reckless and the stupid got rewarded. Who wants to live in a country like that?

Old 11-10-2011, 05:30 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,744,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
This may be quite idealistic but I like to see less gap between rich and poor.

However, I generally oppose achieving the smaller rich-poor gap through government intervention.

If I had to choose between free markets and a government-induced artificially small rich-poor gap, I'll choose free markets. (Whether or not this can be achieved through free markets alone, I do not know.)

What do you think?
What's s special about income equality?

Old 11-10-2011, 05:34 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,744,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Well it certainly is in this country.

The only problem with that argument is that we even exclude the poor that the working poor from the data we can clearly demonstrate that individuals who do work hard, possess the necessary skills, receive less remuneration for their work in relationship to those who run the firms that they work for.
LOL, notice something about the S&P and CEO compensation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies