Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 09:37 AM

3,791 posts, read 8,898,823 times

Advertisements

Rep. Gabrielle Giffords Smiling, Talking 11 Months After Shooting - Yahoo! News

Lobo • New York, United States • 11 hours ago
"I am Republican, but I pray for this woman. She is strong, incredibly strong. Such a Beautiful Smile. God Bless Her. Politics..is worthless compared to a Human life."

This was a comment made on a story about Gabby Giffords. Now I can agree with most of the comment, but I am a little confused about the first sentence. Does the guy mean that he hates other Dems and never prays for them? Do all Repubs think this way? I believe we should all be praying for everyone in DC to do the right things for this nation. Repub, Dem or Inde...it should matter. Just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 09:46 AM

4,410 posts, read 6,137,563 times
It is offensive that the first thing one thinks about is party. I recall after Reagan got shot, the doctor treating him said "We're all Republicans today". What the hell does that mean? Do people really use party as a way of dividing people up? When you go to the mall, do you filter your eyes to discern D's from R's? I wish we could dump political parties because it would free us up to solve problems instead of define "enemies". I agree that we should all be concerned with our elected officials doing the right thing rather than fighting each other. We should demand better because we deserve better.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:52 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,676,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post

"I am Republican, but I pray for this woman. She is strong, incredibly strong. Such a Beautiful Smile. God Bless Her. Politics..is worthless compared to a Human life."

This was a comment made on a story about Gabby Giffords. Now I can agree with most of the comment, but I am a little confused about the first sentence. Does the guy mean that he hates other Dems and never prays for them? Do all Repubs think this way? I believe we should all be praying for everyone in DC to do the right things for this nation. Repub, Dem or Inde...it should matter. Just my opinion.
Maybe he feels like he has been pummeled by libs who think being a republican means he is a hoofed demon, and thought he needed to say this? It's a sad state of affairs in this nation, with all the hate that has been coming from the left, a lot of people are on the defensive.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:56 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,676,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
It is offensive that the first thing one thinks about is party. I recall after Reagan got shot, the doctor treating him said "We're all Republicans today". What the hell does that mean? Do people really use party as a way of dividing people up? When you go to the mall, do you filter your eyes to discern D's from R's? I wish we could dump political parties because it would free us up to solve problems instead of define "enemies". I agree that we should all be concerned with our elected officials doing the right thing rather than fighting each other. We should demand better because we deserve better.
Well, remember the first thing the media did when this shooting occurred was, at the very least, accuse the shooter as being a right-winger and insinuate that republicans were to blame. Lots of folks were shocked and horrified about the knee jerk reactions, and those feeling may still linger with some folks.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:57 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,946,349 times
I pray for Republicans every day.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:01 AM

4,410 posts, read 6,137,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Well, remember the first thing the media did when this shooting occurred was, at the very least, accuse the shooter as being a right-winger and insinuate that republicans were to blame. Lots of folks were shocked and horrified about the knee jerk reactions, and those feeling may still linger with some folks.
Yes, you are probably right. When a layperson is shot, we don't think politics but when a politician gets shot, we imagine all kinds of conspiracies and clashes of ideology. That's a shame. It's a shame that we think in terms of opposites before we think of how much we are all in the same boat. No wonder we continue to be a mess.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:11 AM

78,385 posts, read 60,566,039 times
We see enough partisan stupidity around here on a daily basis.

I have little respect for people that associate themselves as purely an (R) or a (D). Especially those that will even change their opions on key issues if the parties tells them to. (Like the Dem faux anti-war crowd or the Reps that suddenly decided to become fiscal conservatives after an 8 year hiatus under Bush II)

Old 11-11-2011, 10:18 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Maybe he feels like he has been pummeled by libs who think being a republican means he is a hoofed demon, and thought he needed to say this? It's a sad state of affairs in this nation, with all the hate that has been coming from the left, a lot of people are on the defensive.
Indeed!

Old 11-11-2011, 10:34 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,310,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post

I think you (and others in this thread) are reaching too deep to find controversy in his statement. All he means is that when someone has gone through as much as Giffords has we can all set politics aside and let our basic humanity show through---acknowledge the incredible journey she's made and the sacrifice she's made to be a public servant.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:38 AM

3,791 posts, read 8,898,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
I think you (and others in this thread) are reaching too deep to find controversy in his statement. All he means is that when someone has gone through as much as Giffords has we can all set politics aside and let our basic humanity show through---acknowledge the incredible journey she's made and the sacrifice she's made to be a public servant.
No, the basic problem is when he said, "I am a ________" Now insert ANY political affiliation. THAT is the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies