Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 01:00 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,810,759 times

Advertisements

'Here is a list of companies we've confirmed are "Exporting America." These are U.S. companies either sending American jobs overseas, or choosing to employ cheap overseas labor, instead of American workers.'

http://www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/lou....a/content.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2009, 01:45 PM

839 posts, read 982,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
'Here is a list of companies we've confirmed are "Exporting America." These are U.S. companies either sending American jobs overseas, or choosing to employ cheap overseas labor, instead of American workers.'

http://www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/lou....a/content.html
This is a natural outcome of capitalism and, while it may seem counterintuitive, it is good for our economic welfare. The benefits accruing to American consumers outweigh the economic losses accruing to the much smaller number of employees working for these companies. If we no longer have a comparative advantage in these industries then we shouldn't maintain them at the expense of consumers. We should instead focus upon new industries which we could, and do, have a comparative advantage in. Continue expanding the service sector (which already accounts for a little over 80% of the US economy) and transition to high-value added, high-tech industries for which the market is expanding. If we try to maintain jobs that we no longer have a comparative advantage in our economy will continue to stagnate, innovation will slow and we will fall further and further behind in the long run. Free market capitalism dictates that we should let these industries move elsewhere and instead implement policies to help workers transition to other industries where we can continue to promote economic growth. Developed countries with flexible workforces that are capable of quickly developing and transitioning new industries are the ones that do best.

Last edited by Ever Adrift; 12-25-2009 at 02:51 PM..

Old 12-25-2009, 01:55 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,387,646 times
somebody has had a business class or two

comparative advantage keeps the quality up and prices down.

Old 12-25-2009, 02:01 PM

45,354 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Most of the manufacturers on that list have been outsourcing for decades.

Old 12-25-2009, 02:03 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,248,320 times
So where's the list of foreign companies that have outsourced jobs to the U.S.? It's probably just about as long. Keep in mind we are better at running large enterprises so of course we're going to manage more of the world's business activities.

Old 12-25-2009, 02:08 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,087,209 times
The company I work for is on that list but it's an international corporation hiring skilled professionals for work all over the world. To say they're outsourcing in the same way as a company using sweatshop labor in China or India for manufacturing work is not a fair assessment. That said, I wonder what the list would look like if inclusion were narrowed to those companies who have eliminated jobs in the US and replaced them one-for-one with foreign sources.

Old 12-25-2009, 02:08 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,411,687 times
The list of companies who don't outsource would have been much shorter.

Old 12-25-2009, 02:27 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,325,406 times
Just wondering how much unions have to do with the outsourcing of american jobs. The cost of manufacturing (some) goods in the US I would reason to be much higher due to unions. Not saying this is the only reason for outsourcing, but I wonder how it plays into the overall trend of companies to outsource their workforce.

Old 12-25-2009, 02:37 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,411,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Just wondering how much unions have to do with the outsourcing of american jobs. The cost of manufacturing (some) goods in the US I would reason to be much higher due to unions. Not saying this is the only reason for outsourcing, but I wonder how it plays into the overall trend of companies to outsource their workforce.
My guess would be that the unions play a big part in companies choosing to outsource. A company can only mark up a product so much and if the union keeps demanding more, they force the company to go a different route.

Old 12-25-2009, 02:42 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,248,320 times
I think it's good that American companies are helping raise the standard of living throughout the world. Better they work with us than fight us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies