Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2012, 07:14 PM

613 posts, read 759,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
A majority of Democrats—52 percent—say they seldom or never go to church, according to Gallup data published Monday. That result is based on Gallup’s daily tracking polls conducted between June 1 and Aug. 31 of this year.

In addition to the 52 percent of Democrats who told Gallup they seldom or never go to church, another 20 percent said they go to church nearly weekly or monthly, and 27 percent said they go weekly.

On Oct. 28, Gallup reported that its daily tracking polls between June 1 and Aug. 31 showed that 38 percent of Republicans said they seldom or never go to church, while 21 percent said they go to church nearly weekly or monthly, and 40 percent said they go weekly.

When asked by Gallup what their religious denomination was, 19 percent of Democrats said they had none, while 9 percent of Republicans said they belonged to no religious denomination.

Democrats are less religious than the typical American and Republicans are more religous, according to Gallup’s data. Overall, 15 percent of Americans told Gallup they had no religious denomination. Also, overall, 46 percent of Americans told Gallup they seldom or never went to church, while 20 percent said they went to church nearly weekly or monthly, and 33 percent said they went weekly.

Gallup defines “Democrats” in its polling analysis as “those who either identify as Democrats or who identify as independents but say they lean toward the Democratic Party.” Similarly, it defines “Republicans” as "those who either identify as Republicans, or who identify as independents but say they lean toward the Republican Party.”

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/...ch-says-gallup
Awesome! I guess I'm voting Democratic!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 07:14 PM

33,547 posts, read 18,143,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
I have to agree with you on this one, infact just stated this on an other post here. Nothing like those who go to church only to be the biggest hypocrites around. Seems some forget the concept of why you go to church in the first place, some is all for show.
God will separate the tares from the wheat.. his angels will pluck up the tares and the wheat are the true believers but they will grow together and God's angels know the difference.

Old 03-17-2012, 07:19 PM

1,182 posts, read 1,139,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
My husband is a Democrat and I am a Republican. We both go to church the same amount and regularly when we can. Seeing the percentage of people in the United States that do not go to church is self-explanatory as to why our nation is in so much trouble.

Seek ye first the Kingdom of God then all these things shall be added unto you. If that many people are not even seeking the Kingdom of God...
]

Do I have to go to church to seek the Kingdom of God among those that God would send to Hell? I missed that in my Bible. My Bible says that if I repent (be sorry for my sins), ask forgiveness for my sins and make an effort to not be as much a sinner in the future and accept the Lord Jesus Christ as my Lord and Saviour, I am seeking the Kingdom of God. It doesn't say anything about going to a building full of people who follow a preacher who is often a closet pedophile, homosexual, drunkard or womanizer.

Old 03-17-2012, 07:35 PM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Perhaps the poll takers can get Ted Haggard to tell us how church-going ensures someone is an honest man of character?

Old 03-17-2012, 07:40 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,640,761 times
Why don't Democrats go to church?

Spoiler
Because they don't have a prayer.

Old 03-17-2012, 07:49 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,560,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
Why don't Democrats go to church?

Spoiler
Because they don't have a prayer.
Not in Arizona, that's for sure.

Neither do women or Hispanics, for that matter.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:45 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,330,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
I really do think organized religion has pushed many people away from God.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin Rick View Post
]

Do I have to go to church to seek the Kingdom of God among those that God would send to Hell? I missed that in my Bible. My Bible says that if I repent (be sorry for my sins), ask forgiveness for my sins and make an effort to not be as much a sinner in the future and accept the Lord Jesus Christ as my Lord and Saviour, I am seeking the Kingdom of God. It doesn't say anything about going to a building full of people who follow a preacher who is often a closet pedophile, homosexual, drunkard or womanizer.
Hebrews 10:24-25, Psalm 150:1-6, and 1 John 1:7 are all verses that seem to imply that Christians are to fellowship with one another.

If you haven't been successful in finding a church, what's stopping you from starting your own group? I've known of churches and/or services that had no more than 20 individuals.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:00 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,490,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
A majority of Americans don't go to church regularly.

Party has nothing to do with it.
Exactly.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:04 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
a truth urban fact. regular church attendance alone among AA reduces crime to zero.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:04 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Not sure if this has been asked already, but did the poll include other religions or just different denominations of Christianity? I ask because approximately 70% of American Jews vote Democrat, and I think percentages are similar for Americans of other non-Christian religions.

Regardless, who cares? And is this really surprising to anyone? Republican beliefs tend to appeal more to Bible Thumpers, and that's not a new revelation to most of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies