Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 08:31 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Tell me then, what federal taxes have gone up in the last 30 years? Taxes on the rich are at historic lows.
Its so hard to take you seriously anymore. I seriously tried, but anyone who doesnt see that $4.4T in tax revenues to the federal government in 2011 is larger than $321B in 1970 cant be taken seriously for anything more than a troll. Obamacare ALONE was a $672B TAX INCREASE on the american consumer, and you are sitting here asking what taxes have gone up? Give it a break.
Quote:
That's what republicans like to believe, and it may hold true when tax rates are high enough to be strangling the economy, but at present they are not and have not been for a long time.
You offer absolutely nothing of substance to dispute the FACT that when both Clinton and Bush lowered the tax rates, revenues INCREASED.
Quote:
It only taxes twice new income that is invested. If you're sitting on a pile of inherited wealth, for example, it hasn't been taxed in some time, and your new profits from investing that money are taxed at 15%. Again, historically, it was put in place to encourage investment, but we're long past the stage where that's necessary. I wonder, do you think its fair that many (very rich) people in high finance pay 15% on all their income via things like the carried interest exemption?
We're long passed the stage where encouraging investment is necessary? Tell me how you create jobs without investment? Furthermore, inherited wealth isnt capital gains. Its impossible to have a discussion with someone who makes these many errors.
Quote:
47% of households don't pay any federal income tax at the end of the year (because they're too poor to afford to). That, of course, does not include FICA taxes, or state and local income taxes, or sales taxes, or gasoline taxes, or property taxes, etc. The middle class pays closer to the actual marginal rate than do the rich.
No it was 47% several years ago its now up to 51%, and you arent going to stand here and tell me 51% of americans are too poor to pay taxes and living in poverty. I'm not even going to continue to have a discussion with you until you educate yourself more rather than just posting how you FEEL. Furthermore state, local, sales tax, property taxes are STATE obligations.

I'm through responding to you until you try to actually discuss the topic rather than left wing talking points which are proven hogwash. You pretend like "the rich" dont pay any of those things as well.

Last edited by pghquest; 11-12-2011 at 09:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 09:15 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I am conservative because I work hard and I will spend my money as I choose.

You just have an irrational fear of someone else spending your money.

All the studies say so...just ask hotair2.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:27 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,943,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
You just have an irrational fear of someone else spending your money.

All the studies say so...just ask hotair2.
I never said all. I have never read all studies as to why people are conservative. I figure it is their problem. Let them figure it out and try to get a cure.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Who really wants to hear that there political stance is based on fear. They would choose to believe that is based on reason and individual responsibility. I guess what ever gets you through the night.

Timothy Treadwell - Grizzly Man Pt 3 - YouTube

"In the Werner Herzog-directed documentary, Treadwell is shown singing and reading poetry to grizzlies, calling them names like Mr. Chocolate, and even petting one on the nose."

"Grizzly Man" Movie Spurs New Looks at a Grisly Death

Fearlessness is a quality possessed by retards. Some of them even sing and read poetry to Grizzly Bears.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:50 PM

Quote:

Timothy Treadwell - Grizzly Man Pt 3 - YouTube

"In the Werner Herzog-directed documentary, Treadwell is shown singing and reading poetry to grizzlies, calling them names like Mr. Chocolate, and even petting one on the nose."

"Grizzly Man" Movie Spurs New Looks at a Grisly Death

Fearlessness is a quality possessed by retards. Some of them even sing and read poetry to Grizzly Bears.
That is a great point and one which I agree with. This the problem with extremes. The far left is scared of nothing and accepting of everything. A little fear is healthy...literally. Too much fear and then you live out in the country with an arsenal in your home scared to get out of your house.

Neither extreme is a good thing.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:54 PM

Quote:
I never said all. I have never read all studies as to why people are conservative. I figure it is their problem. Let them figure it out and try to get a cure.

"I doubt that.. But there have been many studies and so threads on CD that indicate that it is a genetic predisposition. Based on the studies, conservatives tend to have more fear of things than a normal person. Fear that someone is going to take their money, fear of different races, fear of violence, etc. These are just the studies and not my opinion."

Please feel free to link to these studies.

Old 11-12-2011, 10:10 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,017,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Its so hard to take you seriously anymore. I seriously tried, but anyone who doesnt see that $4.4T in tax revenues to the federal government in 2011 is larger than $321B in 2007 cant be taken seriously for anything more than a troll. Obamacare ALONE was a $672B TAX INCREASE on the american consumer, and you are sitting here asking what taxes have gone up? Give it a break.
The source you cite shows that federal tax revenue in 2007 was $2.5 trillion, 2010 was $2.16 trillion and 2011 estimate is $2.3 trillion. You can't just make up numbers and

Quote:
You offer absolutely nothing of substance to dispute the FACT that when both Clinton and Bush lowered the tax rates, revenues INCREASED.
By this logic, you can't argue somehow that taxes have increased by using data about revenue. Furthermore, you can't use nominal rates of total tax revenues from the 1970s and compare them to without adjusting for inflation AND population increases.

Quote:
No it was 47% several years ago its now up to 51%, and you arent going to stand here and tell me 51% of americans are too poor to pay taxes and living in poverty. I'm not even going to continue to have a discussion with you until you educate yourself more rather than just posting how you FEEL. Furthermore state, local, sales tax, property taxes are STATE obligations.
51 percent make around 32,000 or less. After taking 8 percent for SS and Medicare, there's really not much left to tax.

Old 11-12-2011, 10:11 PM

Quote:
"I doubt that.. But there have been many studies and so threads on CD that indicate that it is a genetic predisposition. Based on the studies, conservatives tend to have more fear of things than a normal person. Fear that someone is going to take their money, fear of different races, fear of violence, etc. These are just the studies and not my opinion."

Please feel free to link to these studies.

Took a few minutes. There are many studies on this subject. Here is one about conservatives and genetic predisposition to fear.

Political views 'hard-wired' into your brain - Telegraph

Old 11-12-2011, 10:15 PM

[quote=hotair2;21691897]That is a great point and one which I agree with. This the problem with extremes. The far left is scared of nothing and accepting of everything. A little fear is healthy...literally. Too much fear and then you live out in the country with an arsenal in your home scared to get out of your house.

Being a sucker is never a good thing either.

It's not that conservatives are afraid of new ideas.

It's just that these "new ideas" are in fact very old ideas which have failed over and over only to come back once again dressed up as new ideas.

The truth is liberalism is just a means by which to avoid the individual accountability conservatism is predicated upon.

Growing-up and taking on adult responsibilities is scary for some people.

For this reason statists cling to government as a sort of parent of last resort rather than face adulthood on their own.

Old 11-12-2011, 10:24 PM

[quote=momonkey;21692083]
Quote:
That is a great point and one which I agree with. This the problem with extremes. The far left is scared of nothing and accepting of everything. A little fear is healthy...literally. Too much fear and then you live out in the country with an arsenal in your home scared to get out of your house.

Being a sucker is never a good thing either.

It's not that conservatives are afraid of new ideas.

It's just that these "new ideas" are in fact very old ideas which have failed over and over only to come back once again dressed up as new ideas.

The truth is liberalism is just a means by which to avoid the individual accountability conservatism is predicated upon.

Growing-up and taking on adult responsibilities is scary for some people.

For this reason statists cling to government as a sort of parent of last resort rather than face adulthood on their own.
These are just your opinions and you are welcome to them. I disagree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies