Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2011, 07:44 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Sounds like a bunch of cowards to me.
As usual with many Black posters on here, instead of acknowledging a problem they deflect, deny and disparage when confronted with the facts and experiences of others.

I know as a 19 year old black male who was attending a HBCU at the time, immersed in black studies issues etc. I certainly did not come into my server job with any preconceived notions of Blacks not tipping or any one else for that matter. I just know I needed to make money to support myself and waiting tables provided the flexible schedule that allowed me to do that.

My experience from waiting tables in the Inner Harbor in Baltimore was eye opening and in affect life changing. The abhorrent behavior I witnessed by many customers, mostly Black was shocking.

Black People Don’t Tip?

Quote:
With all of that training, information and testing assessments, it’s practically impossible to get bad service. Because the restaurant it built solidly on a “teamwork” model: it’s every server’s responsibility to get a random table a refill, food delivered, questions answered, etc. regardless of who the actual home-based server is. As a result, it is a standard expectation among the serving staff that the tables will tip us 20%. Honestly, it is rare that the expectation isn’t met…until you get a table of Black people.

I’ve noticed that as soon as a Black table arrives, they generally will have the most extra requests, will “run” the server around to death and generally show a lack of appreciation for the efforts that the server makes. Oftentimes the Black table will complain about bad service, a request not being met, or something being over-cooked, get their meal (or a portion of it) paid for and then RARELY leave a respectable tip.

I know this sounds so rude, ignorant, stereotypical and general. I hate it myself. I am the only Black server (well second now-another Black server finished training last week) and am constantly feeling the pressure-while I have an allegiance to the guests (there’s no denying my Blackness) I also have an allegiance to my fellow serving staff. The Black gentleman will peel the bills off of his ample roll of dollars, afterwards remarking to his White server, “keep the change.” And he literally means change. I’ve seen too many $69.92 checks be paid with $70. Seriously, I see or hear about several of these every week. It is rare that more than a few dollars is left.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:45 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,903,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Had2SaySumthin View Post
It's really no different than the police recruiting specific ethnic backgrounds to work in areas populated by the same. I don't like that either, but I'm not sure if there's a problem here. (legally)

Morally? Yes.

On the other hand, maybe this came up because she has displayed an obvious attitude with other races? I've had that happen, and have tipped accordingly.

Maybe I'm just being naive, but I find it hard to believe this popped up out of nowhere, with no catalyst. Because if it did, she has the dumbest manager on the whole damn planet.
Oh there is a problem here legally. A very big and expensive problem for Applebees. They are going to play hell getting past this one. The woman was a 4+ year employee with a stellar work record and then a new manager shows up and all this happens. If you force somebody to only wait on black patrons, you are costing them money because blacks, as a rule, tip poorly if at all.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:48 PM

417 posts, read 365,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Joe View Post
Oh there is a problem here legally. A very big and expensive problem for Applebees. They are going to play hell getting past this one. The woman was a 4+ year employee with a stellar work record and then a new manager shows up and all this happens. If you force somebody to only wait on black patrons, you are costing them money because blacks, as a rule, tip poorly if at all.
Exactly, if my boss told me I could only serve black tables I'd tell her to go **** herself and walk out.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Just get a better job and stop whining. Geez.

Not the fault of blacks that you're a career server.
This is actually the condescending attitude I ran into with many black customers. I don't know if it's a component of the slave legacy but what I found is that many Blacks tend to have low opinion of those who are in service.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Joe View Post
Yup and that's my original point forget the racism involved she is being hurt financially if her story is true. That's the key to the story and her motivation for suing.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:50 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,949,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Will you stop with this nonsense. I posted a thread in the Work employment forum. It speak about how the staff in my office treats the house keeping staff. I'm the only black guy in my office. The whites in my office look down on the house keeping staff thae same way you claim blacks look down on people in service.

It has nothing to do with race. If what you say is true and what I say is true, the only conclusion would be..........CLASSISM is practiced by all races? Wouldn't you agree?

Although, I don't believe a word of any of your posts. You're just a "forum troll" because you sure as hell wouldn't tell any blacks to their faces how you REALLY FEEL.
Well Ron...I'm a white guy who waited tables through college. What EdwardA is saying is pretty much the truth, so I wouldn't call it trolling.

And no, it's not limited to class. I worked at a four star restaurant in Illinois. The rich blacks were just as cheap as the not-so-rich blacks I waited on at Bennigan's.

I will also say that the best tip I ever got in my life was from a black couple. You just don't know how any one particular table is going to tip you. That's why you do your best with every guest you wait on.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:53 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,178,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Well Ron...I'm a white guy who waited tables through college. What EdwardA is saying is pretty much the truth, so I wouldn't call it trolling.

And no, it's not limited to class. I worked at a four star restaurant in Illinois. The rich blacks were just as cheap as the not-so-rich blacks I waited on at Bennigan's.

I will also say that the best tip I ever got in my life was from a black couple. You just don't know how any one particular table is going to tip you. That's why you do your best with every guest you wait on.

Bennigan's? I guess the blacks are the reason why they closed the Michigan ave. location huh? Didn't pay the tab or tip.

LOL...........Bennigan's

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaawn

Old 11-29-2011, 08:54 PM

300 posts, read 250,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post

You just don't know how any one particular table is going to tip you. That's why you do your best with every guest you wait on.
Very true.

That being said, if 9 out of every 10 little green aliens you saw kicked you in the nuts, you would be prone to cover up the grapefruits since the odds are the next little green alien you see will get all Chuck Norris-y on your family jewels.

Moral of that awesome analogy: Not every black will tip poorly, but when the majority do, it is hard to be motivated to provide proper service knowing the odds are you will not reap the benefit of your effort.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:54 PM

25 posts, read 23,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
We have no problem retaining staff at our restaurants. Why do you think I would need luck? I feel that our rate of $12 - $16 per hour (PLUS tips) is competitive enough to keep our staff, which is excellent and we appreciate very much.

To put it into perspective, I coat check girl made $61,200 after tips in 2010. I think she's fairly compensated for looking pretty, upkeeping her fashion, and politely checking coats.
They still get tips? I am surprised, I assume you don't allow tipping.

But anyway, there are no excuses for ones black or not for not tipping service workers who get paid less than minimum wage, can't afford tipping and being cheap don't eat out period.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:58 PM

300 posts, read 250,189 times
Quote:
I have a good idea. If black folks are such bad customers, then run a campaign saying that blacks are no longer welcome at your restaurant. That'll should solve the problem, and you'll have happy servers.

Restaurant owners should indeed have that right. Private business owners should have the right to serve, or refuse to serve whoever they choose for whatever reason they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies