U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 11:22 AM

17,393 posts, read 19,670,873 times

Advertisements

Let's face it, most high-ranking male politicians have a tremendous amount of money, power and status compared to average people. This means they also have access to quite a lot of women, many of whom literally throw themselves at such politicans.

Given this, how could most men resist such temptation? Have society's expectations of men with political power become unreasonable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 02:56 PM

20,073 posts, read 14,321,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Given this, how could most men resist such temptation?
It's rather easy. I've never had indiscretions. There's a few women who might think otherwise, but that's only because they are confused on the concepts of dating (not a committed relationship) and a committed relationship (which is a committed relationship), often confusing the two. If I say "Hello!" it does not mean we are in a committed relationship.

You should hold your elected officials to an higher standard. The fact that you refuse to do so is the reason you have very bad government at all levels.

When you finally tire of bad government (assuming you ever will -- I think you're addicted to it), and you start holding your elected officials to an higher standard, then you will reap the benefits of good government.

Note that Rome's downfall started when it allowed its highest offices to become corrupted.

I wonder what Satayana would say about that.

Old 11-13-2011, 03:06 PM

11,436 posts, read 17,192,428 times
Quote:
Let's face it, most high-ranking male politicians have a tremendous amount of money, power and status compared to average people. This means they also have access to quite a lot of women, many of whom literally throw themselves at such politicans.

Given this, how could most men resist such temptation? Have society's expectations of men with political power become unreasonable?
Some Women seek men with power and money and even when they are denied they will file against that man to hurt him in any way they can.
I don't see any way to avoid it.

Old 11-13-2011, 03:07 PM

29,419 posts, read 18,799,235 times
They are only suppsed to be held to higher standards if they have an R next to their name. If they have a D then everything is A OK to their supporters.

Old 11-13-2011, 03:10 PM

87,124 posts, read 102,928,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
It's rather easy. I've never had indiscretions. There's a few women who might think otherwise, but that's only because they are confused on the concepts of dating (not a committed relationship) and a committed relationship (which is a committed relationship), often confusing the two. If I say "Hello!" it does not mean we are in a committed relationship.

You should hold your elected officials to an higher standard. The fact that you refuse to do so is the reason you have very bad government at all levels.

When you finally tire of bad government (assuming you ever will -- I think you're addicted to it), and you start holding your elected officials to an higher standard, then you will reap the benefits of good government.

Note that Rome's downfall started when it allowed its highest offices to become corrupted.

I wonder what Satayana would say about that.
And we all know you are a high ranking male politician!

Old 11-13-2011, 03:12 PM

14,298 posts, read 8,145,163 times
Quote:

If they are both consenting adults, does it really matter?

Old 11-13-2011, 03:14 PM

47,573 posts, read 60,804,831 times
Yes. Unless we also figure they're more susceptible to all other "indiscretions" like bribe taking.

Why shouldn't we expect them to have some kind of self-control and morals? If their own families can't trust them then we have no reason to trust them.

Old 11-13-2011, 03:19 PM

47,573 posts, read 60,804,831 times
It's also past time to get back to having the people represented by one of their own in Washington DC rather than they these corrupt individuals who believe they are special and so filthy rich and powerful that they can do whatever they please.

Much of the problem with this country today is that these career politicians are bought off, they no longer are part of the people, they are bribed by the banks, corporations and special interests which is where they get all that big money to wave around to other wh-ores who just like themselves.

The politicians have become part of a corrupt elite who think money can buy everything, they've been bought, their women are bought, they have no values, no morals, no ethics. The sex and philandering is just one symptom of many.

Old 11-13-2011, 03:27 PM

3,083 posts, read 3,440,985 times
Quote:

It's absolutely reasonable to expect politicians to behave in a manner that is worthy of the level of trust they have been afforded.

Sadly enough, it seems our current crop of politicians are far more interested in reaping the rewards of that trust than proving themselves worthy of it.

Old 11-13-2011, 03:35 PM

6,396 posts, read 4,423,646 times
It's easy to resist. The bottom line is, are we animals, without any control over ourselves, or are we human beings, with the ability to reason.

So, are we going to hold our elected politicians to the same level that we hold ourselves to, or do we elect people lesser than ourselves, to represent us, and just overlook their "lapses". I think not, and I believe they should be held to a higher level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies