U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-27-2007, 11:52 AM
 
1,155 posts, read 1,174,167 times
Reputation: 174
The only thing that ticks me off about this resignation is that it was built on eight attorneys being fired. If Gonzales had to resign because of that, then Clinton should have done the same thing when he fired all U.S. attorneys under Bush 41. As usual the media and weak spine republicans refuse to recognize the hypocrisy of it all. Wake up everyone!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-27-2007, 11:58 AM
 
Location: Arizona
5,389 posts, read 4,819,913 times
Reputation: 1189
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALteacher View Post
The only thing that ticks me off about this resignation is that it was built on eight attorneys being fired. If Gonzales had to resign because of that, then Clinton should have done the same thing when he fired all U.S. attorneys under Bush 41. As usual the media and weak spine republicans refuse to recognize the hypocrisy of it all. Wake up everyone!!
Your point is correct that attorneys are routinely dismissed as political appointees and as George loves to remind us, "Serve at the pleasure of the President."

Where they screwed up here is they lied about their performances, when in fact they were all politically motivated dismissals. So they show they have no qualms throwing anybody that has performed honorably under the bus to achieve their goals. And then a few months later get amnesia about it in front of Congress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2007, 12:16 PM
 
6,758 posts, read 7,000,028 times
Reputation: 2921
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
And then a few months later get amnesia about it in front of Congress.
I don't like Gonzalez, but really, what politician hasn't gotten amnesia when testifying?

Its amazing how suddenly a person that never studders or misses a beat talking to reporters or giving speeches become so blank, so quickly when they are in front of Congress or a court...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2007, 12:27 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
4,699 posts, read 4,632,726 times
Reputation: 2629
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALteacher View Post
The only thing that ticks me off about this resignation is that it was built on eight attorneys being fired. If Gonzales had to resign because of that, then Clinton should have done the same thing when he fired all U.S. attorneys under Bush 41. As usual the media and weak spine republicans refuse to recognize the hypocrisy of it all. Wake up everyone!!
There's a difference between Clinton firings and bush 43. It is routine for a newly elected president to I'll use the term "clean house" when they take office. This is not considered to be a politically motivated act. If 43 had fired the attorneys at the onset there would be no problem. Gonzo and 43 fired the attorneys right before an election because they wouldn't pursue cases against democrats. Big difference.

On edit: I posted to watch for a recess appointment. Harry Reid has nipped that in the bud by threatening to hold pro forma session. According to this article, bush agreed.
Fight Averted Over Bush Picks

Last edited by tigerlily; 08-27-2007 at 01:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2007, 01:53 PM
 
1,155 posts, read 1,174,167 times
Reputation: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
There's a difference between Clinton firings and bush 43. It is routine for a newly elected president to I'll use the term "clean house" when they take office. This is not considered to be a politically motivated act. If 43 had fired the attorneys at the onset there would be no problem. Gonzo and 43 fired the attorneys right before an election because they wouldn't pursue cases against democrats. Big difference.

On edit: I posted to watch for a recess appointment. Harry Reid has nipped that in the bud by threatening to hold pro forma session. According to this article, bush agreed.
Fight Averted Over Bush Picks
I stand corrected thank you. But I doubt had Bush 43 fired all U.S. attorneys at the start of his first term the media would have let it slide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2007, 02:01 PM
 
Location: South Central PA
1,561 posts, read 2,846,424 times
Reputation: 336
I was in class and I saw clouds part and a choir of angels sing "Halleluja". I was perplexed at the time, but now it makes so much more sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2007, 02:37 PM
 
19,178 posts, read 19,651,768 times
Reputation: 3902
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALteacher View Post
I stand corrected thank you. But I doubt had Bush 43 fired all U.S. attorneys at the start of his first term the media would have let it slide.
If memory serves, Clinton ended up replacing 92 of Bush-1's attorneys in 1993, while W replaced 88 of Clinton's attorneys in 2001. Here is a link to the DOJ press release announcing the latter moves...

#107: 03-14-01 WHITE HOUSE AND JUSTICE DEPARTMENT BEGIN U.S. ATTORNEY TRANSITION
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2007, 04:18 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
4,699 posts, read 4,632,726 times
Reputation: 2629
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
If memory serves, Clinton ended up replacing 92 of Bush-1's attorneys in 1993, while W replaced 88 of Clinton's attorneys in 2001. Here is a link to the DOJ press release announcing the latter moves...

#107: 03-14-01 WHITE HOUSE AND JUSTICE DEPARTMENT BEGIN U.S. ATTORNEY TRANSITION
I stand corrected on that point. Still, it's apple and oranges in regard to the firing of the eight bush appointees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2007, 05:31 PM
 
Location: Spots Wyoming
17,629 posts, read 22,060,114 times
Reputation: 10729
Was he the sacrificial lamb? They probably thought, if we give up somebody, they'll all look at that instead of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top