Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 05:44 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,393,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Again you keep concentrating on absolutism. The point is more than enough Black Americans engage in the behaviors we have described. Like it or not most cultures have some degree of commonalities and that is no different among Black Americans.
Ed, you're African in America, thus Black. This African vs. Black stance you take is tiring. I actually like to think people are pretty much the same in life. If you're not flying a False Flag, you sure as heck seem like it.

I'll try to respectfully debate you on any point you want to make but you seem to put yourself on a pedestal above all American Blacks simply because your parents were African. No man is above another. You seem to be fairly educated but by no means does that give you the right to slam the entire black populace of America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 05:46 PM

183 posts, read 264,652 times
Well in my experience, EVERY person working at the airport is NOT African.....that I can tell. I guess I never was concerned what background they came from, never noticed. I just thought it an odd question esp when you put "every" in the question. So absolute.

Old 11-14-2011, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOMdotCOM2011 View Post
Well in my experience, EVERY person working at the airport is NOT African.....that I can tell. I guess I never was concerned what background they came from, never noticed. I just thought it an odd question esp when you put "every" in the question. So absolute.
The EVERY was put in as sarcasm. I refuse to resort to emoticons. So to repeat in my best Andy Rooney voice, "Do you ever notice that it seems like at the airport..."

Note, nothing negative said about Africans nor Blacks in my statement.

Although I will admit there was a time when I thought working at the airport would be very cool.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:20 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,305,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyday View Post
not to be inflammatory- but it seems (and i travel quite a bit) that there is a disproportionately large portion of africans (ethiopian, somalian, etc) working at many airports. Again my sample may be skewed but it's a pretty big sample.

Is there a political reason perhaps that foreign born or recent immigrants get a pipeline into airport employment?
lol

It makes me happy to hear that people are working.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
lol

It makes me happy to hear that people are working.
We need jobs. In America. We need manufacturing. In America. It'd be nice if Apple started to make computers here as well. Alas. To better times.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:22 PM

31,035 posts, read 22,070,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
We need jobs. In America. We need manufacturing. In America. It'd be nice if Apple started to make computers here as well. Alas. To better times.
yep, ship those jobs off overseas. We would be wise to learn from the Japanese and Chinese!

Old 11-14-2011, 11:57 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,238,816 times
Here at least, I've found that most terminal employees tend to be black American. The Africans are the ones usually working the taxis, shuttles, parking lots. Everyone does his thing. Unfortunately, though, judging from some of the responses to this thread, it appears that one of the (unintended?) consequences of a post like this is the inevitable rush to extol the work ethic of immigrant blacks at the expense of American blacks, who, at least in my experience at the airport and other places that employ American blacks, appear to work just as hard as anyone else.

Old 11-15-2011, 03:05 PM

31,035 posts, read 22,070,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
I'd think that the ones that came here would be more likely to embrace their new country.
As long as they don't have a bomb in their shoe or underwear or support those who do

Old 11-15-2011, 04:57 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,301,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
Here at least, I've found that most terminal employees tend to be black American. The Africans are the ones usually working the taxis, shuttles, parking lots. Everyone does his thing. Unfortunately, though, judging from some of the responses to this thread, it appears that one of the (unintended?) consequences of a post like this is the inevitable rush to extol the work ethic of immigrant blacks at the expense of American blacks, who, at least in my experience at the airport and other places that employ American blacks, appear to work just as hard as anyone else.

Divide and conquer. Story old as time.

Old 12-03-2011, 10:41 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,280,777 times
The bulk of the people at LAX working are by far black. So freaking what?
I would have a problem if lots of other people put in applications and they only choose blacks because they are black. That would be racism.

So unless there is preferential treatment racism going down, so what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies