Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 06:36 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,003,671 times

Advertisements

As I found myself cooking potato soup that required a dash of white wine, I noticed that I happened to be out of wine and thus, went to the store. Of course, I had forgotten that it's Sunday and, consequently, was unable to purchase any wine in my state (or beer or liquor, for that matter).

A little bit of google-ing revealed that currently, 14 states still have laws on the books that prohibit alcohol sales (to varying degrees) on Sundays.

The states with such laws are:

Alabama, Connecticut, Georgia, Indiana, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, and West Virginia.

With all these heated political discussions on CD and Republicans always proclaiming proudly how they want government to stay out of people's personal lives, I couldn't help but notice that the majority (10) of these states are considered "red," that is, Republican.

I am also aware that many municipalities in Georgia recently voted to allow Sunday sales. Still, the numbers suggest that, at least in this matter, Republican states tend to meddle in people's private business a bit more than blue states.

What gives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 06:41 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
As I found myself cooking potato soup that required a dash of white wine, I noticed that I happened to be out of wine and thus, went to the store. Of course, I had forgotten that it's Sunday and, consequently, was unable to purchase any wine in my state (or beer or liquor, for that matter).

A little bit of google-ing revealed that currently, 14 states still have laws on the books that prohibit alcohol sales (to varying degrees) on Sundays.

Alabama, Connecticut, Georgia, Indiana, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, and West Virginia.

With all these heated political discussions on CD and Republicans always proclaiming proudly how they want government to stay out of people's personal lives, I couldn't help but notice that the majority (10) of these states are considered "red," that is, Republican.

I am also aware that many municipalities in Georgia recently voted to allow Sunday sales. Still, the numbers suggest that, at least in this matter, Republican states tend to meddle in people's private business a bit more than blue states.

What gives?
The only potato soup I have had since my mother passed away in 1987 that was anywhere near as good as hers comes from my sister-in-law and neither of them uses alcohol for any cooking. I really think that yours wouldn't be a lot better than my mother's so maybe I do accept that blue law that we got rid of not too long ago.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:42 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:

What gives?
Most of these laws are based on a religious misconception that the sabbath day is on Sunday. Funny, I never read that section in the bible. If someone can show me where God made an amendment to the 10 commandments saying "the sabbath has been moved to Sunday, keep it holy" I'd appreciate it.

At any rate, I don't think there should be a federal intervention abolishing these laws, it should be left to the state or local municipalities.

On a personal note, I think blue laws are stupid, and have always voted to repeal them at every opportunity.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:43 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,511,840 times
Apparently it's better to allow someone to drive to a bar, get drunk, then drive home, versus going to the store so they can pick up alcohol to drink at their own house.

There are plenty of stupid laws on the books, but blue laws have to be near the top. I've never heard a single rational justification for them.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:48 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
Apparently it's better to allow someone to drive to a bar, get drunk, then drive home, versus going to the store so they can pick up alcohol to drink at their own house.

There are plenty of stupid laws on the books, but blue laws have to be near the top. I've never heard a single rational justification for them.

The justification I usually hear is "well no one has died from not having a drink on Sunday" or "Well its always been that way".

People don't like to change, even when that change is for the better.

And honestly, I understand your first point, but its more likely that people are going to buy beer for a game on Sunday, and have friends over, and they'll leave and drive home after drinking. But people just buy their beer on Saturday for that, so whats the difference? Stiffer beer sold on Sunday or something?

I'm actually against DUI laws, no reason for someone who hasn't hurt anyone or anything to go to jail for something they might do, but thats a different debate all together.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:49 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,521,791 times
All the states mess with peoples 'private lives.' They merely do so in different forms.

If you want to find a meaningful correlation, I think you would have slightly better luck looking at the size of the regulatory regime in a given state more so than the "red/blue" distinction.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:52 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,687,113 times
Yeah those laws that keep ya from buying beer on Sunday are stupid. If you're actually an alcoholic you're smart enough to just re-up on Saturday.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:56 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,806,109 times
The GOP is based on hypocrisy. They parade "less government!" but in reality are for huge government on many issues like the one you've found out with alcohol sales.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:00 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,003,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
The only potato soup I have had since my mother passed away in 1987 that was anywhere near as good as hers comes from my sister-in-law and neither of them uses alcohol for any cooking. I really think that yours wouldn't be a lot better than my mother's so maybe I do accept that blue law that we got rid of not too long ago.
Well, this particular soup didn't turn out too well. Perhaps it was the missing wine. Or perhaps even wine couldn't have saved this recipe. Or perhaps, if I had had the rest of the bottle to drink before eating, it would have tasted heavenly.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:07 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,191,946 times
Quote:

What gives?
The pathetic tea bagger types who think they are for small government actually love government intervention, but only when it comes to things they care about. It's sort of pathetic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies