Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 11:29 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,342,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
As I said in my earleir post on the issue; a throughly nasty and embarassing way to die! Horrible for his family in the extreme.

That little appendage sticking out the front of the trigger itself in the aforeposted pic is the safety feature of a glock so one need only to depress that and perform the necessary trigger pull; provided slide has been racked to chamber a round and thusly cocking the weapon, et-voila; "round away".

Do people actually believe the conceptual thinking; having a handgun cocked and ready to go in your vehicle so as to defend yourself at a moments notice, equates in ANY way or fashion to having that thing in your pants or jacket pocket? I don't get that; any pocket while sitting in your car AND belted in is the worst case scenario for a quick response.

My opinion only: A handgun cocked and ready, then trapped inside a cloth pocket of any kind, perhaps even further entrapped by a seat belt going right over that pocket is oxymoronic in the extreme!

Quoting an above poster about asking a perp to wait while racking back the slide Ill go one further:

Who has had to dig in their pocket for a coin to put in a parking garage's ticket issuing machine? Did you perform that grotesque un-hook the belt, lean way to the left maneouver to gain access to that pocket?

Now after getting your hand in there, did it come out easily with change in hand or did you have to twist and turn your paw a bit to get the cloth pocket to let go of your hand. Finally once you got your change out and looked at it, tell me there wan't a bunch of pocket lint included in the junk.

Any self respecting perp who had half a brain cell observing all of those contortions would have capped your butt with your hand in your pocket. Another grotesque and shameful way to die.

If you believe in the concept of having a handgun ready to go; you must believe in having it easily accessed by your cross-body gunhand at a seconds notice as that is the very reason for having the thing cocked in the first place ---isn't it?
It all depends on the person and what they're doing. Sometimes in the winter I carry in the breast pocket of a jacket. In warm weather I pocket carry. If I'm sitting in a car and I perceive a threat my hand is on the gun regardless of where it is. You can never be assured of drawing in time but it's still better than being unarmed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 11:41 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
One of these days I am going to take a pistol course so I can understand all the technospeak in these debates.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:51 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,165,396 times
That would be what the safety helps prevent.

I want one of the Mahkarev/pistols the Russian Spetsnaz carries that autochambers a round when pulled from the holster....

Old 11-15-2011, 12:57 PM

39,856 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
To be fair, it is "Put down that nickle plated sissy pistol and get yourself a GLOCK."

But, I know what you meant.
Hence...the corrected part.

Old 11-15-2011, 04:47 PM

37,170 posts, read 19,174,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Unfortunately he hits a major artery and it's lights out for him.

Spotsylvania man inadvertently shoots self in Giant parking lot - Crime Scene - The Washington Post
Did he have a permit to carry it? If not, they should arrest him. Killing yourself is no excuse for breaking the law.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:50 PM

1,569 posts, read 2,043,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Unfortunately he hits a major artery and it's lights out for him.

Spotsylvania man inadvertently shoots self in Giant parking lot - Crime Scene - The Washington Post
I'm sure someone already mentioned Darwin?..

Old 11-15-2011, 05:52 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnepler View Post
Yea, if shot all the criminals we wouldn't have to carry firearms.

true, plus we would not have to have any cops or federal law enforcement either.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:59 PM

912 posts, read 1,331,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
This tragedy could have been avoided if only we banned possession of all firearms by all people except the government
Don't need anymore government control.Especially,since the high court is going to take up a certain issue.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:03 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
This tragedy could have been avoided if only we banned possession of all firearms by all people except the government

this tragedy could have been avoided if there was no laws against the law abiding concerning firearms at all. then he could have carried openly or had the firearm on his dashboard if he had wanted too.

the worst thing we could ever do, is to have the federal goverment be the only ones with firearms. when in fact they should be the last ones with any firearms at all, outside of the military.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:15 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,065,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
One of these days I am going to take a pistol course so I can understand all the technospeak in these debates.
A crash course in 4 decades of slang would probably be more helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies