U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 12:19 PM

12,439 posts, read 9,962,642 times

Advertisements

Forget tariffs. How about we tax corporate profits based on the number of foreign made products that they sell. An example, New Balance Tennis Shoes. I don't know the total amount they they produce overseas, but it is a lot. SOme of the shoes are produced here. Take the percentage produced over there and say it is 60%. divide in half and then tax the profit by 30%. I say divide it in half because we need to tax the retailers the other half. Take Walmart for example if 80% of their products come from overseas tax their profits at 40% if they are produced from American company, and 80% if produced by foreign country.

If a company sells only american made products. 0% tax on profits. If a retailer sells only american made products, 0% tax on profits. That should level the playing field and produce more jobs.

Just a thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 12:21 PM

386 posts, read 178,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Forget tariffs. How about we tax corporate profits based on the number of foreign made products that they sell. An example, New Balance Tennis Shoes. I don't know the total amount they they produce overseas, but it is a lot. SOme of the shoes are produced here. Take the percentage produced over there and say it is 60%. divide in half and then tax the profit by 30%. I say divide it in half because we need to tax the retailers the other half. Take Walmart for example if 80% of their products come from overseas tax their profits at 40% if they are produced from American company, and 80% if produced by foreign country.

If a company sells only american made products. 0% tax on profits. If a retailer sells only american made products, 0% tax on profits. That should level the playing field and produce more jobs.

Just a thought.
And a silly one at that!!!!

How about we reduce the tax burden on the economy by first reducing corporate tax rates to bring them in line with other first-world nations?

Now THAT is an idea!!!!

Old 11-15-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lahaina Lopaka View Post
And a silly one at that!!!!

How about we reduce the tax burden on the economy by first reducing corporate tax rates to bring them in line with other first-world nations?

Now THAT is an idea!!!!
Hey I said bring the ones that produce American made products to ZERO. You conservatives should be jumping on that.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:31 PM

10,833 posts, read 11,578,864 times
Great idea. That should workout great for the poor and middle class who depend heavily on the likes of discounted goods provided by WalMart, Target, etc.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:31 PM

14,920 posts, read 10,735,892 times
Imagine the federal regulatory agency that will have to be created to inspect the inventory of US companies and track the movements of their products in order to ensure compliance.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:32 PM

6,156 posts, read 3,989,648 times
That's the same as tariffs basically.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:33 PM

10,515 posts, read 6,007,892 times
As pointed out, this would be the same as tariffs, other countries would just do the same. Plus, Walmart would never allow it!

Old 11-15-2011, 12:34 PM

3,861 posts, read 9,284,823 times
Corporations do not pay taxes, their consumers pay them via higher prices. Why is that such a difficult concept to grasp? Tax corporations at 10% across the board with no loopholes or deductions and watch this economy roll.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:35 PM

2,526 posts, read 2,505,826 times
Alright, so I am US company which, for financial reasons, produces outside of the US. It decreases my operating costs, allows me to sell my products at a lower price point, and maximizes my margins. Now, I get taxed on products that I produce abroad, significantly decreasing my margin, pushing up my prices, and costing me market share compared to a competitor who happens to be a foreign company.

You know what I will do? I will move my entire company abroad and escape your silly taxes altogether. You can't tax me anymore because I am not under your jurisdiction. My (now) imported products are simply subject to regular sales tax - just like any other product. In essence, your proposal would punish US companies but leave foreign companies unaffected...

Now you don't get any taxes and you lose jobs.

And no, it's not the same as tariffs. Tariffs are charged on ALL products made abroad, thereby affecting foreign companies negatively. The proposed idea would only charge US companies simply because you cannot tax a company that is not subject to your jurisdiction. As the OP said, he wants to tax corporate profit...

Old 11-15-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Great idea. That should workout great for the poor and middle class who depend heavily on the likes of discounted goods provided by WalMart, Target, etc.
As I recall, and I am old enough to recall. Walmart sold inexpensive products at one time there were mostly american made. Then Sam died and things went to crap. How was he able to do it then, and not now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies