Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 07:00 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,780,715 times

Advertisements

Life can be so horrible at times. Especially when children can drive another child to kill herself. I don't know if the mother was aware of how serious the bullying was, but I just can't imagine she wasn't if it was going on for years. Bullying is a serious issue that causes children to take their own lives to escape the pain. Something needs to be done about it to protect our children.

If you have a child, or an educator, please take time to read this article about Ashlynn and as important, please read the statistics.

Quote:
Meet Ashlynn Conner, a 10-year-old girl from east central Illinois who took her own life after intense bullying at school. After enduring years of teasing and being called a ****, fat, and ugly, among other insults, Conner asked her mother to be home-schooled. Her mother denied her request and the very next day Conner’s sister found her hanging in her closet by a scarf.

“I don’t know what its gonna take to stop it, but no child should ever feel like they have to kill themselves to stop that kind of pain,” said Conner’s mother who is devastated by the loss.

I don’t know what its gonna take to stop it, but no child should ever feel like they have to kill themselves to stop that kind of pain,” said Conner’s mother who is devastated by the loss.

Conner was a student with promise. She was on the school’s Honor Roll and had aspirations to become a veterinarian.
Read more: 10-Year-Old Girl Commits Suicide After Intense Bullying | Care2 Causes

RIP Ashlynn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 07:02 AM

45,221 posts, read 26,431,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Life can be so horrible at times. Especially when children can drive another child to kill herself. I don't know if the mother was aware of how serious the bullying was, but I just can't imagine she wasn't if it was going on for years. Bullying is a serious issue that causes children to take their own lives to escape the pain. Something needs to be done about it to protect our children.

If you have a child, or an educator, please take time to read this article about Ashlynn and as important, please read the statistics.

[LEFT]

Read more: 10-Year-Old Girl Commits Suicide After Intense Bullying | Care2 Causes

RIP Ashlynn.
[/LEFT]
Yes. Better parenting.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:04 AM

810 posts, read 836,906 times
Humans are scum, even when they are young.

This is nothing about parenting because they were also the same in that age.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Yes. Better parenting.
You can't always count on parents to do the parenting. All schools need to make it part of their program.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:14 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
I wish I knew the answer. The only thing I can suggest is parents and teachers pay attention and severely discipline the bullies for assault.

When I was in grade school I was unmercifully bullied because of my extreme nearsighted heavy glasses. My step father said it was my business and he did not care. I never felt suicidal but I kept track of the bullies. In Jr. HS, after puberty and a gain of about 50 pounds of muscle, I reminded a few of the bullies that I remembered them. Some tried to continue bullying. I left them badly bent but alive. The rest stopped bullying. The school disciplinarian was publicly pissed but privately supportive.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I wish I knew the answer. The only thing I can suggest is parents and teachers pay attention and severely discipline the bullies for assault.

When I was in grade school I was unmercifully bullied because of my extreme nearsighted heavy glasses. My step father said it was my business and he did not care. I never felt suicidal but I kept track of the bullies. In Jr. HS, after puberty and a gain of about 50 pounds of muscle, I reminded a few of the bullies that I remembered them. Some tried to continue bullying. I left them badly bent but alive. The rest stopped bullying. The school disciplinarian was publicly pissed but privately supportive.
Unfortunately texting and photos on mobiles, FB and social websites make it easier to strike out as well.

But I will say this: those kids that were bullied when I went to school, turned out fairly successful and some were quite handsome/beautiful.

My grandson is being bullied. He's short and thin for his age, but he's starting to fill out and the bullying is tapering off, but we have seen him depressed so he is watched very closely and we make sure to talk to him about it or give him reading material as to how to fend off bullies. The school isn't much help in spite of them knowing that it is going on with him and other children.

I can tell you that he's going to be one handsome young man and will end up being quite the ladies man.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:35 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
softbluyz - Good for you and the kid. Get on the school for the sake of the other kids. Tell your grandson to just listen to the girls and get to know them as individuals if he wants their company.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:03 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,257,302 times
I don't know what I would do if I were a parent and had a child that killed him/herself. I'm not saying that anti-bullying legislation would instantly stop the problem, but it's at least a start. Thanks to conservative politicians, we can't even get that start. Usually about now, some old school conservative will chime in and gloat:" In my day, if someone picked on someone, you learned how to fight." These are usually people who haven't been in school for atleast 15 years or so. You can be the best fighter in the world. What many people don't understand, though, is that cyberbullying can consume a person 24/7 --emails, tweets, texts and those notorious facebook posts. It gives a person no escape, even in their own home. Parents need to be held accountable for their child's actions. This is sickening.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:09 AM

181 posts, read 234,131 times
10 YEARS OLD!!!!!!!!!!

I can't even imagine having suicidal thoughts at such a young age.
So sad

Old 11-16-2011, 08:17 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
I have no sympathy for suicides. 0. Stop justifying it, people have been bullied since the beginning of time. We don't all kill ourselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies