U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2011, 04:00 PM

10,005 posts, read 8,739,032 times

Advertisements

Torture is likely unconstitutional. I would imagine it violates the 5th amendment in most cases.

Last edited by Randomstudent; 11-17-2011 at 04:10 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 04:02 PM

21,507 posts, read 10,459,146 times
A terrorist plays by no rules of war.. They attack unknown to the innocent. If they want to play by no rules of war so be it they are waterboarded. No consideration taken as they have NO CONSIDERATION FOR THE INNOCENTS.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:03 PM

15,772 posts, read 8,589,907 times
I want to waterboard job biden.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:08 PM

4,406 posts, read 5,328,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitsshowtime View Post
Oh thats right. Lets play nice, and maybe they will play nice.

I don't see how that works in any real life situation. You can start off trying to be fair and play by the rules, but when the other team is breaking them and cheap shotting, its going to come back around. Sorry, I'm in it to win the game.
You're in it to win the game by losing your soul and any right to claim moral victory. What victory will that be? The title of Worst?

Waterboarding should never be done. It is wrong on every level and in every instance. But we know America does it. We know America chains people to the floor, tapes their eyes open, subjects them to nonstop strobe lights and loud heavy metal music and leaves them there for days. We know America ties people hands above their heads leaving them to hang for four days while beating them into submission. All these horrible things are done in the name of Americans. No Christian God, No Muslim God, no god of any religion would approve of such behavior. And yet, America claims the moral high ground, America claims victory.

The ONLY victory is peace and while it costs not a single dollar, it costs too much for most people. It costs them their fear and maybe even their life and it continues to cost until everyone participating realizes the battle and all its horrible black and immoral manifestations are completely unnecessary. How low will everyone bow their heads in shame when they realize this is all a choice?

Old 11-17-2011, 04:19 PM

4,433 posts, read 3,817,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
You're in it to win the game by losing your soul and any right to claim moral victory. What victory will that be? The title of Worst?

Waterboarding should never be done. It is wrong on every level and in every instance. But we know America does it. We know America chains people to the floor, tapes their eyes open, subjects them to nonstop strobe lights and loud heavy metal music and leaves them there for days. We know America ties people hands above their heads leaving them to hang for four days while beating them into submission. All these horrible things are done in the name of Americans. No Christian God, No Muslim God, no god of any religion would approve of such behavior. And yet, America claims the moral high ground, America claims victory.

The ONLY victory is peace and while it costs not a single dollar, it costs too much for most people. It costs them their fear and maybe even their life and it continues to cost until everyone participating realizes the battle and all its horrible black and immoral manifestations are completely unnecessary. How low will everyone bow their heads in shame when they realize this is all a choice?

Quite lyrical mhouse,

I say beat the crap out of these animals. Hmm, I don't feel my soul leaving me yet.

Quote:
Waterboarding should never be done. It is wrong on every level and in every instance.
No it isn't.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:15 PM

3,951 posts, read 3,592,401 times
The report is kinda odd because it seeks to show the pain and discomfort that these interrogation techniques cause. Duh, who didn't know that they hurt or that they are uncomfortable. It seems unlikely that a policy-maker on terrogation tactics did not know before-hand the effects of something like waterboarding. I don't see how they can walk away from this experience with some new-found understanding.

The point of this link reminds me of how police officers have to sometimes go through being tazed or pepper-sprayed so that they know what power and pain they possess in their hands. Of course, this is only some departments.

Also, the soldiers in the Army have to go through the nerve-gas building and experience that.

I don't like to see anyone tortured, particularly if we don't know if they are a terrorist or not. From my understanding, some people were imprisoned in places like Guantanamo accidentally and by mistake via bad intel. However, I understand that at times, it may work. My problem though is someone being tortured will say anything, it may not be true.

The thing about interrogation tactics within the government is way too big for anyone who does not work within that environment to try to understand because what happens is not seen. Also, the research behind coming up with methods is unknown.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:33 PM

4,028 posts, read 6,237,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I respectfully disagree. If we lose what good does it do us to say,we stood for higher principles and justice? THEY ARE TRYING TO KILL US USING ANY MEANS POSSIBLE.

This isn't some football game where we are supposed to show sportsmanship. This is war. It is is life or death.

As Obama said, when the bring a knife, we bring a gun.
This is The Untouchables.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
A terrorist plays by no rules of war.. They attack unknown to the innocent. If they want to play by no rules of war so be it they are waterboarded. No consideration taken as they have NO CONSIDERATION FOR THE INNOCENTS.
So part of what makes terrorists terrorists is that they don't follow rules, so you want America to not follow rules also.

Makes sense.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:42 PM

22,161 posts, read 26,693,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omniscient1 View Post
Let's say you needed information in a hurry. What are those better ways?
Yeah, I'd like to know that, too.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:46 PM

23,877 posts, read 10,074,798 times

Old 11-17-2011, 06:51 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,241,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
You really have missed the point entirely. But since you bring it up that you believe them to be criminals, then you must treat them like any other ciminal and arrest and put them on rial, we are not allowed to torture criminals either, since we have international laws we have agreed to also or did you forget that.
And again, you are incorrect. Criminals are people who have committed a crime on American soil. These people are on foreign soil, acting as terrorists. We cannot arrest people on foreign soil, we can however detain and place them in custody, which is what was done at Guantanamo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies