U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 04:20 PM

773 posts, read 391,989 times

Advertisements

Typically when we have events like 9-11, people from the left and right come together and put aside their differences.

My question is, considering the historic divisiveness Obama has brought to our country with attacking and negative rhetoric, what will it take to have the next come together moment for our country.

For those who do not think Obama brought divisiveness, please remember:

They bring a knife, we bring a gun

They can come along for the ride, but they have to sit in the back

They want to push grandma off the cliff

Cling to their guns and religion

She's a typical white person

That's just a few. There are a lot more, so please don't try to pretend he is not negative. He is the POTUS. He should be setting the example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 04:24 PM

24,889 posts, read 20,405,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heritage Member View Post
Typically when we have events like 9-11, people from the left and right come together and put aside their differences.

My question is, considering the historic divisiveness Obama has brought to our country with attacking and negative rhetoric, what will it take to have the next come together moment for our country.

That's just a few. There are a lot more, so please don't try to pretend he is not negative. He is the POTUS. He should be setting the example.

What about all the right wing rhetoric about "second amendment solutions to congress" and things like that?

You don't help things when you point out the stupid things said by one side, and don't acknowledge that both sides are idiots.

If you vote for a R or a D, even in local and state races in 2012, you're a moron, its that simple.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:28 PM

8,151 posts, read 5,437,995 times
Quote:

bash him bash him blah blah........lame.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:29 PM

22,243 posts, read 14,806,513 times
Isn't the next GOP debate the 22nd. Come together time, good laughs to be had.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
What about all the right wing rhetoric about "second amendment solutions to congress" and things like that?

You don't help things when you point out the stupid things said by one side, and don't acknowledge that both sides are idiots.

If you vote for a R or a D, even in local and state races in 2012, you're a moron, its that simple.
So do you think it is appropriate for the POTUS to say the things he has said?

YES or NO?

What do YOU think it will take for the next come together moment?

Can you discuss these things or not?

Old 11-16-2011, 04:37 PM

8,151 posts, read 5,437,995 times
Quote:

YES or NO?

Not with you. Bash Obama all you want but I hardly ever stop by your threads. You tricked me with the title but as bush said fool me once.............you not gone get fooled again.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:37 PM

5,767 posts, read 10,059,575 times
I'm not sure why you think that a "come together moment" would depend on any individual person. Those sorts of moments tend to be far larger than that.

Also, I don't think that 9/11 was such a moment. Obviously people across the spectrum were unhappy about the attack, but it wasn't followed up by any sort of real national/political unity. As I recall, within a year, the country was embroiled in a contentious debate over whether or not to invade Iraq.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
[/b]
Not with you. Bash Obama all you want but I hardly ever stop by your threads. You tricked me with the title but as bush said fool me once.............you not gone get fooled again.
Is there anything factually incorrect in this thread? Why do you call it bashing, when I am quoting exactly what he said? Don't you agree it often times takes a BIG event to bring people together?

What fooling is involved with that? It "appears" you just may not like it when Obama looks bad by his own actions or words and don't want to discuss it.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:42 PM

13,443 posts, read 11,967,380 times
I heard the world is going to end next year. Maybe that'll help.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:49 PM

24,889 posts, read 20,405,503 times
Quote:

YES or NO?

Well lets look at what he said, shall we.

He was talking about a Republican argument against raising taxes, saying they were bringing a "knife to a gun fight". This is a common metaphor, easily explained if you'd take the time to read more then the red state talking points.

He "back seat comment" was his famous "We want to put the car in D, and they want to put the car in R speech", again, if Republicans are unwilling to help, they are welcome to come along for the ride, but they aren't helping drive, so they can sit in the back seat.

Republicans don't want to provide healthcare for grandma, they tried to cut medicare and medicaid under the Ryan plan. So yeah, they want to push her off the cliff of no health insurance.

Cling to their guns and religion was probably over the line, but when speaking about some poor Republican voters, who are voting against their own self interest because of guns and their religious views (abortion, etc), then yeah, they are clinging to guns and religion.

Please quote the "typical white woman" line, please.

And Angles statement

"There are second amendment solutions to congress", which is not a metaphor, she openly was asking for people to take guns and shoot congressmen, was that ok for a Senate candidate, who was still back by the "grand old party" even after she said it. Should they have cut off all ties to her? Did you excuse her statement as many of them did?

Context friend, context.

You posted in another thread that liberals always bash you, perhaps its because you are spinning things without real objective views?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies