Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 11:12 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,450,941 times

Advertisements

Larry Elder had Chris Matthews on his radio show last week and Chris Matthews was not quite ready for prime time.

On Chris's show he takes delight in deflating people and pulling them apart - well the tables got turned on him and Larry Elder gave him a spanking.

Have a listen:

Larry Elder owns Chris Matthews 11.15.11 - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 01:18 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,356,787 times
I used to listen to Elder when his radio show when it was syndicated. He's a doggedly clear thinker who does not suffer fools. When I listened to him it was the early stages of the Iraq occupation, and he used to regularly manhandle liberals on the issue. Too bad the Bush admin never had anybody like him.

I'm not that impressed by this ambush-style interview from Larry of Matthews. On the other hand Matthews (whom I never watched much) seems like an ambusher himself, and didn't have much game when the tables were turned. Larry did at least perform a service for anyone thinking of wasting $25 on this book.

Old 11-21-2011, 01:18 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,879,293 times
Larry Elder is the best. He tore that ignorant bum to pieces

Old 11-21-2011, 01:44 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I used to listen to Elder when his radio show when it was syndicated. He's a doggedly clear thinker who does not suffer fools. When I listened to him it was the early stages of the Iraq occupation, and he used to regularly manhandle liberals on the issue. Too bad the Bush admin never had anybody like him.

I'm not that impressed by this ambush-style interview from Larry of Matthews. On the other hand Matthews (whom I never watched much) seems like an ambusher himself, and didn't have much game when the tables were turned. Larry did at least perform a service for anyone thinking of wasting $25 on this book.
The thing is, Elder is better at this type of thing than most due to his intelligence.

Still though, this type of stuff ALWAYS works in favor of the interviewer when it comes to radio. They have prepared questions, and those questions and potential answers are researched to death. It's easy to ambush someone on radio even if they're smarter than you....especially when you're in control of everything.

I once listened to Hannity rip apart Ron Paul on radio (or maybe it was TV...I can't remember), and it was brutal. Totally humiliated Paul in my opinion. Still though, no one in their right mind thinks Hannity has half the intelligence of Ron Paul. The forum simply favored Hannity much more so than Paul.

I never really pay these things any mind.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:02 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,356,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
The thing is, Elder is better at this type of thing than most due to his intelligence.

Still though, this type of stuff ALWAYS works in favor of the interviewer when it comes to radio. They have prepared questions, and those questions and potential answers are researched to death. It's easy to ambush someone on radio even if they're smarter than you....especially when you're in control of everything.

I once listened to Hannity rip apart Ron Paul on radio (or maybe it was TV...I can't remember), and it was brutal. Totally humiliated Paul in my opinion. Still though, no one in their right mind thinks Hannity has half the intelligence of Ron Paul. The forum simply favored Hannity much more so than Paul.

I never really pay these things any mind.
Well stated. Many times the outcome of an argument is more a function of the format than the pure facts and logic involved. I think this principle partly explains why conservatives came to dominate talk radio, while liberals dominate newspapers and nightly news.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:16 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,786,069 times
Larry Elder is one of the most prepared, well versed broadcasters on the air. I used to listen to him during my daily drives, on 790, and I really miss that (no more drives since my construction business went under <sigh>). I've mention Elder on several posts just to have uber-libs slam him. Not only can these regressives not stand anyone disagreeing with them, but being logical and right while in the process of said disagreement drives them crazy.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Well stated. Many times the outcome of an argument is more a function of the format than the pure facts and logic involved. I think this principle partly explains why conservatives came to dominate talk radio, while liberals dominate newspapers and nightly news.
Yep. Radio doesn't favor liberalism anyway...the forum isn't well suited to it. Conservative Radio is very, very good i must admit. It's pretty obvious that it can't possibly be that every conservative talk show host is talented and smart....it's the combination of the ideology and the forum. It just...works!!

Besides that, i don't really know any liberals that want to listen for 3 to 4 hours with someone they agree with. I know i don't....i'd rather shoot myself. I don't need someone to confirm what i already believe anyway and listen to other callers call in and have the same tired ass gripes i have. BOOORING!

For that reason alone, i'd much rather listen to conservative talk radio.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Larry Elder is one of the most prepared, well versed broadcasters on the air. I used to listen to him during my daily drives, on 790, and I really miss that (no more drives since my construction business went under <sigh>). I've mention Elder on several posts just to have uber-libs slam him. Not only can these regressives not stand anyone disagreeing with them, but being logical and right while in the process of said disagreement drives them crazy.
Nonsense. I'm to the left of Jerry Garcia and i listen to Larry Elder anytime he's on. No, i don't agree with him beyond the point when he announces what his name is, but still, i find him to be smart and well prepared. Can't take that away from him. He's one of the main reasons why i'm a liberal.

That said, he goofed up big time on the Iraq War, but I can't blame him just for being a Bush myrmidon. A lot of folks on the right did the same after 9/11. He just got caught up. He had Dr. Kaddir Hamsa on every week to talk about WMD, and i knew the guy was full of sh*t every time Elder interviewed him, but Elder bought it lock, stock and barrel.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:26 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,948,742 times
I didn't listen to the interview but most likley after listening to it, I'll still be a Liberal!

Old 11-21-2011, 02:26 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,786,069 times
Quote:
So are you saying that liberals dominate when there is no dialogue other than their own? I'd agree with that, pretty much.

The reason libs dominate in print is they don't "do talk radio", because it's beneath them. Elites and the educated believe radio is for weather forecasts and traffic reports. They tried with Air America and went bankrupt. Pretty much par for the ideological course, eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies