U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-16-2011, 05:28 PM
 
Location: Southcentral Kansas
44,924 posts, read 27,032,807 times
Reputation: 4269

Advertisements

Franco Harris, one of the most storied heroes of Penn State football just found out that if you stand up for your old coach there is a good chance that you will lose your job just as the coach did. I know that many of you, not from Pennsylvania, have never heard of Franco Harris but he was the man who made the "Immaculate Reception" back in the early 70s that allowed the Pittsburgh Steelers to win a game against I think the Cowboys.

Anyway Harris stood up for Coach Paterno and lost a probably good paying job with a casino for so doing. I agree with the words that Harris said that caused him to be fired.

The bottom line for Harris: "If I had to choose today between the moral integrity and character of Joe Paterno and the politicians and commentators criticizing him, I would pick Joe Paterno, hands down, no contest every time." On almost any other occasion over the past 40 years, the rest of Pennsylvania would be standing right beside him. On this occasion, though, that sentiment is not going to be very good for business.

Franco Harris stands by his old coach, and loses his new job - Dr. Saturday - NCAAF*Blog - Yahoo! Sports
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-16-2011, 05:31 PM
 
Location: Sango, TN
24,889 posts, read 20,311,199 times
Reputation: 8606
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Franco Harris, one of the most storied heroes of Penn State football just found out that if you stand up for your old coach there is a good chance that you will lose your job just as the coach did. I know that many of you, not from Pennsylvania, have never heard of Franco Harris but he was the man who made the "Immaculate Reception" back in the early 70s that allowed the Pittsburgh Steelers to win a game against I think the Cowboys.

Anyway Harris stood up for Coach Paterno and lost a probably good paying job with a casino for so doing. I agree with the words that Harris said that caused him to be fired.

Franco Harris stands by his old coach, and loses his new job - Dr. Saturday - NCAAF*Blog - Yahoo! Sports

If the stories pan out, he was told that one of his assistant coaches was raping 10 year old boys, and he just told the athletic director, and then let him work for him for years after.

Yeah, the coach deserves blame. I'm not sure if Franco Harris deserves to be fired for supporting him, but its a private company, and they are free to do what they want.

I'll tell you what, if someone worked for me, and said they supported what the coach did, I'd fire them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2011, 05:35 PM
 
16,701 posts, read 18,917,881 times
Reputation: 6798
Paterno deserves to lose his job... not because he is a bad person but because he knew better and didn't do what he should of done... this is not a gray issue, it is black and white... its called negligence... and a lot of people got hurt afterwards...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2011, 05:38 PM
 
3,064 posts, read 2,161,373 times
Reputation: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Franco Harris, one of the most storied heroes of Penn State football just found out that if you stand up for your old coach there is a good chance that you will lose your job just as the coach did. I know that many of you, not from Pennsylvania, have never heard of Franco Harris but he was the man who made the "Immaculate Reception" back in the early 70s that allowed the Pittsburgh Steelers to win a game against I think the Cowboys.

Anyway Harris stood up for Coach Paterno and lost a probably good paying job with a casino for so doing. I agree with the words that Harris said that caused him to be fired.

The bottom line for Harris: "If I had to choose today between the moral integrity and character of Joe Paterno and the politicians and commentators criticizing him, I would pick Joe Paterno, hands down, no contest every time." On almost any other occasion over the past 40 years, the rest of Pennsylvania would be standing right beside him. On this occasion, though, that sentiment is not going to be very good for business.

Franco Harris stands by his old coach, and loses his new job - Dr. Saturday - NCAAF*Blog - Yahoo! Sports
This is how they get away with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2011, 06:33 PM
 
Location: Southcentral Kansas
44,924 posts, read 27,032,807 times
Reputation: 4269
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Paterno deserves to lose his job... not because he is a bad person but because he knew better and didn't do what he should of done... this is not a gray issue, it is black and white... its called negligence... and a lot of people got hurt afterwards...
I won't argue about Paterno especially since he must have known something was coming nearly a year ago when he sold his interest in his to his wife for $1. However, I think that either the people of Pennsylvania have changed a whole bunch of that casino may lose some traffic for what they did. Harris was always a perfect gentleman while in the NFL and I always respected him for speaking his mind just as he did here.

Last night I saw a lot of the love that former players had for Coach K at Duke exhibited by them and Harris feels the same way about Paterno. Many times athletes and coaches form bonds like that nothing an overcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2011, 06:37 PM
 
Location: Southcentral Kansas
44,924 posts, read 27,032,807 times
Reputation: 4269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
If the stories pan out, he was told that one of his assistant coaches was raping 10 year old boys, and he just told the athletic director, and then let him work for him for years after.

Yeah, the coach deserves blame. I'm not sure if Franco Harris deserves to be fired for supporting him, but its a private company, and they are free to do what they want.

I'll tell you what, if someone worked for me, and said they supported what the coach did, I'd fire them.
Here is one of the people I can talk to about something I just heard on O'Reilly. The man who got Michael Jackson declared innocent talked to Bill O and said that he made that work because information from the grand jury leaked out nearly daily. That just doesn't work. The defendant has no legal representation at grand jury hearings but in the Jackson case just like in this one information kept leaking. The media declared the coach guilty without a trial and that isn't what our legal system says.

Hey, I think that the guy is guilty so I couldn't serve on his jury but he has been wronged and will eventually be allowed to go free for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2011, 06:39 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
7,091 posts, read 10,488,886 times
Reputation: 4104
Wow Roy, I never thought you would side with some one supporting a person facing 25 felony counts of deviate sexual intercourse, aggravated indecent assault, unlawful contact with a minor, endangering the welfare of a child and indecent assault against at least eight victims over more than a decade.

You might want to actually read your own link completely, as it describes very thoroughly why this is happening.

Who the hell is this "they" you are talking about now? Is it now wrong for the law to go after people who spent a decade molesting children?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2011, 06:41 PM
 
Location: Pluto's Home Town
9,995 posts, read 11,235,997 times
Reputation: 5555
Sad story. Paterno was a great coach, and Franco one of my favorite NFL players. Yet, failing to deal with this problem is just criminal. I am not sure why Paterno covered for the guy, but it is the same as in the Catholic Church. You have to put the safety of kids first, every time. It was a classic failure of leadership.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2011, 06:42 PM
 
3,064 posts, read 2,161,373 times
Reputation: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Here is one of the people I can talk to about something I just heard on O'Reilly. The man who got Michael Jackson declared innocent talked to Bill O and said that he made that work because information from the grand jury leaked out nearly daily. That just doesn't work. The defendant has no legal representation at grand jury hearings but in the Jackson case just like in this one information kept leaking. The media declared the coach guilty without a trial and that isn't what our legal system says.

Hey, I think that the guy is guilty so I couldn't serve on his jury but he has been wronged and will eventually be allowed to go free for it.
If the Grand Jury findings are so secret, why do they publish it on the net?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2011, 06:43 PM
 
1,570 posts, read 1,678,342 times
Reputation: 616
It seems that, for whatever reason, Penn State (and Paterno) were aware of what Sandusky was doing, and chose to do nothing about it. Not someone I'd be quick to stand up for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top