U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-17-2011, 03:20 PM
 
33,377 posts, read 14,579,199 times
Reputation: 7599

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameolover View Post
Whatever you think of the US Military and its role and influence in the world, it's quite clear to me that it does not protect 'our freedom'.

The military is not a civil rights group! The military is the force that is supposed to defend America from its enemies.

I think the statement that we should thank the troops "because they protect our freedom" is an example of those lies that, because they are repeated so often, and sound good and hard to argue with, it becomes taken for granted that they are actually factual statements.

Let's look at this claim. "The US Military is the reason Americans are free." What does this actually MEAN?

Essentially, the claim is being made, that without our military, the barbarian hordes of Muslims, communists, and everyone else that 'hates freedom' would come to our shores and forcibly wrest our Constitution and rights away from us.

I don't buy it for a second. For one thing, physical security is different from freedom. Indeed in some ways security is the opposite of freedom. For another thing, if our enemies were truly intent on forcing us to follow the dialogues of Marxism or Sharia Law, they would be making more of an effort. If extremist Islamists were really intent on destroying America, you would see a suicide attack somewhere in the States pretty much every day. It's not like they have anything to fear. There have been virtually no attacks on America since 9/11 (if you believe that the government has been telling the truth about that day). And even if 9/11 was indeed, done by Al-Qaeda under Osama Bin Laden, it was because we pretty much created Islamic terrorism to guess what ... fight Communists.

It is actually been AMERICA that has been forcing THEIR idea of democracy and freedom on THEIR enemies. Vietnam, Iraq, and Afghanistan. WE were the ones who attacked Marxist nations. They never attacked us. If we just stopped starting wars on the justification of 'they will attack if we don't first'.

Rather than protecting our freedom, the United States Military actually threatens both our freedom and our security by creating enemies in far away lands who have legitimate reasons to dislike us.

I'm not saying you don't have a right to respect the military. I'm just saying I'm sick of tired of hearing the lie that the US Military is protecting our freedom, because there is just no evidence at all that's the case, and when you look at what that statement really implies, you realize how silly a statement it is.
Are we speaking Japanese?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-17-2011, 03:28 PM
 
4,043 posts, read 2,892,920 times
Reputation: 1948
The Main Way they protect our freedoms, be it in peacetime or wartime is by simply "BEING." No, not playing poetic games here.....True Psychology is that the very appearance, oh dangme, there is a better word....of Strength, deters crime.

By having the strongest, and most dignified military in the world, we are safer. We were much safer under Reagan than we are with BO because of this dignity, and honor thing, and the strength that our enemies perceived. THAT's it! LOL at myself....

the very perception of strength keeps us safe, and with BO, he is what he has to be perceived as....a leader that doesn't care about us and our country "as founded" that had rather apologize for us, and what we are and believe in, insult us for things, promise that if we are bombed by a nuke that WE WILL NOT retaliate!! and much more.

We are in more danger than in my lifetime of mid-fifties, with this egotist, manchild Commmunist at the helm of a nation that he is most unfit to lead.

Our military always has been the main reason we weren't attacked right on our shores. No wonder some conspiracy nuts are convinced that 911 was an inside job, BUT.....

the lines of even this do get very blurry when the enemy isn't from a particular country, but of a "mindset" that exists in many countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2011, 03:35 PM
 
Location: United States
5,888 posts, read 4,479,284 times
Reputation: 1905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
The Main Way they protect our freedoms, be it in peacetime or wartime is by simply "BEING." No, not playing poetic games here.....True Psychology is that the very appearance, oh dangme, there is a better word....of Strength, deters crime.

By having the strongest, and most dignified military in the world, we are safer. We were much safer under Reagan than we are with BO because of this dignity, and honor thing, and the strength that our enemies perceived. THAT's it! LOL at myself....

the very perception of strength keeps us safe, and with BO, he is what he has to be perceived as....a leader that doesn't care about us and our country "as founded" that had rather apologize for us, and what we are and believe in, insult us for things, promise that if we are bombed by a nuke that WE WILL NOT retaliate!! and much more.

We are in more danger than in my lifetime of mid-fifties, with this egotist, manchild Commmunist at the helm of a nation that he is most unfit to lead.

Our military always has been the main reason we weren't attacked right on our shores. No wonder some conspiracy nuts are convinced that 911 was an inside job, BUT.....

the lines of even this do get very blurry when the enemy isn't from a particular country, but of a "mindset" that exists in many countries.
Your post will go over the head of most liberals.

God Bless Our Troops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2011, 03:40 PM
 
4,406 posts, read 5,321,420 times
Reputation: 2892
In 8th grade history, we had to do a role-playing exercise. The role handed to me was that of an Army general that was in favor of preemptive strikes. I refused to read my lines or advocate that perspective. The teacher hollered at me. Even at that age I realized how foolish the military is and that it doesn't do anything but destroy. Before I became aware of left vs. right ideologies, I came to conclusion that the military doesn't protect me; it protects the government. We the people are expendable. We are the ones they will use as human shields as they battle with other aggressors over land and resources. Then I saw the right proclaim that the military was fighting for our freedom and it made me want to puke. Could a lie any bigger be found? Now I realize that the military is all of these things I believe in and one more: it protects American business interests. Our wars are fought to protect the elites' businesses in foreign lands, to take over resources, and to insure profit at any expense. The "war" in Libya, if the videos I've seen are correct, is one of the biggest lies ever concocted AND one of the most successful. It's about oil, it's about dollars, it's about chaos and control.

The military has great men and women in its institutions. Too bad the big picture hidden from them all is that of an abyss where morality and humanity are vacuumed away with surgical precision. Freedom and the military should never be included in the same sentence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2011, 05:08 PM
 
Location: Blankity-blank!
11,449 posts, read 13,925,295 times
Reputation: 6876
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Your post will go over the head of most liberals.

God Bless Our Troops.
People continually forget, the politicians (influenced by special interests) decided when and where the troops will go. The politicians are the ones who say that the troops are protecting our freedoms. When the decision of the politicians is criticized they always deflect and try to make it as though the troops are criticized. That's a nasty, dishonest political strategy. It's also underhanded.
None of the posters have any hard feelings for the troops.
I spent 3 years in the US Army. Never met one troop who was in to protect anybody's freedom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2011, 05:37 PM
 
Location: Chicagoland
4,028 posts, read 6,228,198 times
Reputation: 1305
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
What would you like me to back up elder?
Exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2011, 05:38 PM
 
3,951 posts, read 3,586,184 times
Reputation: 1270
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameolover View Post
Whatever you think of the US Military and its role and influence in the world, it's quite clear to me that it does not protect 'our freedom'.

The military is not a civil rights group! The military is the force that is supposed to defend America from its enemies.

I think the statement that we should thank the troops "because they protect our freedom" is an example of those lies that, because they are repeated so often, and sound good and hard to argue with, it becomes taken for granted that they are actually factual statements.

Let's look at this claim. "The US Military is the reason Americans are free." What does this actually MEAN?

Essentially, the claim is being made, that without our military, the barbarian hordes of Muslims, communists, and everyone else that 'hates freedom' would come to our shores and forcibly wrest our Constitution and rights away from us.

I don't buy it for a second. For one thing, physical security is different from freedom. Indeed in some ways security is the opposite of freedom. For another thing, if our enemies were truly intent on forcing us to follow the dialogues of Marxism or Sharia Law, they would be making more of an effort. If extremist Islamists were really intent on destroying America, you would see a suicide attack somewhere in the States pretty much every day. It's not like they have anything to fear. There have been virtually no attacks on America since 9/11 (if you believe that the government has been telling the truth about that day). And even if 9/11 was indeed, done by Al-Qaeda under Osama Bin Laden, it was because we pretty much created Islamic terrorism to guess what ... fight Communists.

It is actually been AMERICA that has been forcing THEIR idea of democracy and freedom on THEIR enemies. Vietnam, Iraq, and Afghanistan. WE were the ones who attacked Marxist nations. They never attacked us. If we just stopped starting wars on the justification of 'they will attack if we don't first'.

Rather than protecting our freedom, the United States Military actually threatens both our freedom and our security by creating enemies in far away lands who have legitimate reasons to dislike us.

I'm not saying you don't have a right to respect the military. I'm just saying I'm sick of tired of hearing the lie that the US Military is protecting our freedom, because there is just no evidence at all that's the case, and when you look at what that statement really implies, you realize how silly a statement it is.
This has got to be one of the WORST posts I have seen on here. I understand if you are fed up with people supposedly blindly saying that the military is protecting our freedom, but they are protecting our freedoms.

Do you know what other countries would do to us, our money and our land if they could dominate the United States? If they could get away with it. Take the Islamic radicals for instance, if they had their way, we would be forced into believing in Islam and forced to abandon any other belief or lack of. I'm just using them as an example, not sparking a debate about religion. Who do you want to protect us? The U.N.?

Just the existence of a U.S. Military is protecting our freedoms. It tells individuals, groups and complete countries that they better not even think about trying to invade or threatening the livelihood of the people here.

There are some involvements that the U.S. gets into that have nothing to do with protecting our freedoms, but you can't generalize. You sound bitter about something, as if you have heard someone say that the military is protecting our freedoms and that was the last straw, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2011, 05:39 PM
 
Location: New Hampshire
4,828 posts, read 4,651,875 times
Reputation: 3585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
None of the posters have any hard feelings for the troops.
I spent 3 years in the US Army. Never met one troop who was in to protect anybody's freedom.
I am glad you are speaking for yourself.

I had a different experience and joined to just serve the country and nothing more. Quit a job that paid me more than I would ever make in the Military as an enlisted Soldier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2011, 05:47 PM
 
Location: Sinking in the Great Salt Lake
12,904 posts, read 18,471,181 times
Reputation: 13738
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameolover View Post
Whatever you think of the US Military and its role and influence in the world, it's quite clear to me that it does not protect 'our freedom'.

The military is not a civil rights group! The military is the force that is supposed to defend America from its enemies.

I think the statement that we should thank the troops "because they protect our freedom" is an example of those lies that, because they are repeated so often, and sound good and hard to argue with, it becomes taken for granted that they are actually factual statements.

Let's look at this claim. "The US Military is the reason Americans are free." What does this actually MEAN?

Essentially, the claim is being made, that without our military, the barbarian hordes of Muslims, communists, and everyone else that 'hates freedom' would come to our shores and forcibly wrest our Constitution and rights away from us.

I don't buy it for a second. For one thing, physical security is different from freedom. Indeed in some ways security is the opposite of freedom. For another thing, if our enemies were truly intent on forcing us to follow the dialogues of Marxism or Sharia Law, they would be making more of an effort. If extremist Islamists were really intent on destroying America, you would see a suicide attack somewhere in the States pretty much every day. It's not like they have anything to fear. There have been virtually no attacks on America since 9/11 (if you believe that the government has been telling the truth about that day). And even if 9/11 was indeed, done by Al-Qaeda under Osama Bin Laden, it was because we pretty much created Islamic terrorism to guess what ... fight Communists.

It is actually been AMERICA that has been forcing THEIR idea of democracy and freedom on THEIR enemies. Vietnam, Iraq, and Afghanistan. WE were the ones who attacked Marxist nations. They never attacked us. If we just stopped starting wars on the justification of 'they will attack if we don't first'.

Rather than protecting our freedom, the United States Military actually threatens both our freedom and our security by creating enemies in far away lands who have legitimate reasons to dislike us.

I'm not saying you don't have a right to respect the military. I'm just saying I'm sick of tired of hearing the lie that the US Military is protecting our freedom, because there is just no evidence at all that's the case, and when you look at what that statement really implies, you realize how silly a statement it is.
How dare you challenge the myths of our great nation! Next you'll claim Abe wasn't honest, that warm apple pie isn't good, that the bible isn't exactly accurate, that Bill really did have sexual relations with that woman, that Obama won't save us, ect, ect, ect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2011, 06:03 PM
 
27 posts, read 15,759 times
Reputation: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post

The military has great men and women in its institutions. Too bad the big picture hidden from them all is that of an abyss where morality and humanity are vacuumed away with surgical precision. Freedom and the military should never be included in the same sentence.
I would even go so far as to say the individuals in the military are not the heroes that are made out to be and that i don't even LIKE the troops for the most part (way too conservative for my taste). I've known military people and most of them have an arrogance and violence to them that I find utterly off-putting. Most of the cool military people I know regret having been in the military in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top