Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 05:08 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,033,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
The point, which went over your head, was that our troops have done such an excellent job of repelling foreign threats over the decades that a lot of Americans, who have no idea what it is like to be invaded, have no notion of the fact that we can go about our daily business protected by the Constitution which is backed up by our troops.

All of this freedom didn't appear out of thin air y'know.

It must be protected, sometimes with guns and bombs.

If it weren't for our troops then we'd be living under the auspices of the Soviet Politburo.

My first thought was that the Nazis would have probably lost anyway, eventually. But if there were no American armed forces, why wouldn't the Nazis and/or the Japanese just drop their landing crafts on our unguarded shores in 1940, long before the end of the war, and simply proclaim America conquered? If the Axis powers would have somehow neglected American soil, the modern factories and natural resources, it probably would have been the Soviets that would have docked their ships in the unguarded American harbors. I suppose it is possible that the Soviets would not have felt so inclined to send their military to this country and literally walk up on shore and declare America a Soviet colony. But ignoring unprotected shores from the expanse of communism would have gone against their philosophy.

But I don't know, if the British would have "won" the War of 1812 (of course America, without an army, would not have fought but simply surrendered), what would America have looked like over the following two centuries? Kind of hard to say.

All this is not to say that American troops have not been wrongly used, or even used without valid purpose on occasion. But without the American armed forces, it is very possible that Americans would not have the freedoms they enjoy, whether they take those freedoms (and the American military) for granted or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 11:18 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,319,525 times
Quote:
Wow.

I really hope your not an American.
Not only a American, but an independent thinking American who gave up 20 years of his life for this country and stil serves it's fallen warriors. Now what about you?

Old 11-18-2011, 11:20 PM

Quote:
If you hate America so much then why are you here?

Love it or leave it.
Why should I leave because I don't believe the B.S that is fed to me? I have been to the sandbox and seen seen and heard things that the average American will never know. So as far as I'm concern have fun fornicating with yourself

Old 11-19-2011, 12:00 AM

3,948 posts, read 4,305,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
You are way off-base.
Did anybody say we should do away with the military? No.
You're delusional. Your problem is that you can't handle people telling you that you are wrong about this.

Old 11-19-2011, 12:02 AM

3,948 posts, read 4,305,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
I have been to the sandbox and seen seen and heard things that the average American will never know.
LMAO. Oh realllllly?

Old 11-19-2011, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
LMAO. Oh realllllly?
Actually there are alot of the military (not grunts in the field) but those in intel, and work in the command sections that know alot more than the average American. Truthfully, these are the people that are usually against the mainstream flow of information

Old 12-19-2011, 12:34 AM

1 posts, read 882 times
I never post on here and never had any intentions of doing so, but after reading all of the comments, it shows me that WE have a longggggggggggggggg ways to go as a country. Just because people question the intentions of the military does not make them a LIBERAL. I'm neither a liberal or a conservative. I just believe in facts, not the news. People need to begin to question what they read, if you do not.. you are an idiot for believing in everything you read.

I believe people who join the military have pure intentions, yes! However, the realization is that the military as of right now... is not protecting OUR freedom, plain and simple. Yes, we need a military to show how strong we are (for looks), not to actually take action. The military is definitely NOT protecting us by being in the Middle East, that is another agenda which is not being told. And the people who just go along with what the media tells them are ignorant of the real facts.

So yes, the 'idea' of the military protects our freedom, but the 'actions' of military do not (at least with what is happening now)

Really people, think! Do not make yourself look stupid by calling me a liberal, because I am not. Our military has NO REASON to be in the Middle East. What freedom are they protecting by being over there? NONE... oh wait.. i think they are protecting that individual freedom known as the "corporation". it is really funny how a "corporation" has the same rights as a real person.

SO IN A WAY EVERYONE IS RIGHT!

conclusion: Our Military Protects OUR (meaning Corporations, since they are by law a PERSON) Freedom.

I do believe the military protects everybody's freedom, however I am just arguing the wars we have put our military through is NOT for freedom, it's about money... and THAT'S IT.

someone tell me somewhere, where money translates into freedom?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies