Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 02:17 AM

27 posts, read 21,870 times

Advertisements

Whatever you think of the US Military and its role and influence in the world, it's quite clear to me that it does not protect 'our freedom'.

The military is not a civil rights group! The military is the force that is supposed to defend America from its enemies.

I think the statement that we should thank the troops "because they protect our freedom" is an example of those lies that, because they are repeated so often, and sound good and hard to argue with, it becomes taken for granted that they are actually factual statements.

Let's look at this claim. "The US Military is the reason Americans are free." What does this actually MEAN?

Essentially, the claim is being made, that without our military, the barbarian hordes of Muslims, communists, and everyone else that 'hates freedom' would come to our shores and forcibly wrest our Constitution and rights away from us.

I don't buy it for a second. For one thing, physical security is different from freedom. Indeed in some ways security is the opposite of freedom. For another thing, if our enemies were truly intent on forcing us to follow the dialogues of Marxism or Sharia Law, they would be making more of an effort. If extremist Islamists were really intent on destroying America, you would see a suicide attack somewhere in the States pretty much every day. It's not like they have anything to fear. There have been virtually no attacks on America since 9/11 (if you believe that the government has been telling the truth about that day). And even if 9/11 was indeed, done by Al-Qaeda under Osama Bin Laden, it was because we pretty much created Islamic terrorism to guess what ... fight Communists.

It is actually been AMERICA that has been forcing THEIR idea of democracy and freedom on THEIR enemies. Vietnam, Iraq, and Afghanistan. WE were the ones who attacked Marxist nations. They never attacked us. If we just stopped starting wars on the justification of 'they will attack if we don't first'.

Rather than protecting our freedom, the United States Military actually threatens both our freedom and our security by creating enemies in far away lands who have legitimate reasons to dislike us.

I'm not saying you don't have a right to respect the military. I'm just saying I'm sick of tired of hearing the lie that the US Military is protecting our freedom, because there is just no evidence at all that's the case, and when you look at what that statement really implies, you realize how silly a statement it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 05:42 AM

2,409 posts, read 3,040,921 times
The US military are contract killers for the most part. They have been doing the dirty work of a worldwide banking cartel and extractive industry for a long time now. The American people are just too brainwashed and too stupid to realize it. The CIA who is owned by bankers and corporatists ever since their inception is the root of it all. The soldiers are nothing more than pawns in a broad game of strategic economics. Their "sacrifice" nowadays has nothing to do with protecting freedom, championing democracy, and least of all protecting the Constitution and defending Americans. We should all be more worried about the terror being waged on upon us by our government and gangster politicians than some AK-47 Al-CIAda emboldened goat herding farmer willing to blow him/herself up for Allah.

Take Iran for example.........our wonderful CIA overthrew a democratically elected President, installed a shill for the global oil cartel and trained the brutal security force called the SAVAK. We have been gunning for Iran and undermining real democracy in that country for decades. We allowed the crazy religious fanatics control of that country just like we supported Saddam, Bin Laden and a host of dictators across the world when it fit our interests. Most of the war and terrorism we as a nation have faced has been blowback and now we are just cleaning up our mess and the mess of the British Empire.

Like idiots of the cold war era who traded freedom for safety in the face of "communism" we are doing the same thing nowadays in the face of "terrorism". Americans are so easily manipulated by their government while the real threat to liberty is staring them in the face with a boot on their necks.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:43 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
OP - Careful. You see too clearly and think too much. Expect a s***storm from the RWA's.

Our soldiers are the best in the world. Unfortunately they are giving their lives and honor not to defend the people of the USA but to make the world safe for the petroleum investors, the central bankers and the military suppliers. The war in Kuwait was to keep Saddam from controlling Kuwait’s oil reserves and selling them below the world price. The war with Iraq was to prevent him from selling oil in Euros not dollars. The same reason applies to Libya. The War in Afghanistan is to protect the right of Western Petroleum to control the access to Central Asia’s reserves and sell them on a controlled market instead of having the petroleum go directly to china using Chinese pipelines. We are fighting to provide Western investors with one set of crooks to bribe instead of many local warlords.

Our politicians provide a consistent set of lies to get us to believe out military is being used for our protection. Our military is mostly protecting the rights of suppliers to over charge for materials and bankers to lend at usurious interest. Instead of the traditional use of a military force to loot the other guys they, big business and bigger banks, are using our Military to Loot us!

This is not only very expensive for all but a few Americans it is a grievous insult to our Troops.

Note: The first response did not discuss the topic but was meant to insult the poster. As expected.

Socalcroozer - You also see too clearly. Expect the same storm.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:51 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,545,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
OP - Careful. You see too clearly and think too much. Expect a s***storm from the RWA's.

Our soldiers are the best in the world. Unfortunately they are giving their lives and honor not to defend the people of the USA but to make the world safe for the petroleum investors, the central bankers and the military suppliers. The war in Kuwait was to keep Saddam from controlling Kuwait’s oil reserves and selling them below the world price. The war with Iraq was to prevent him from selling oil in Euros not dollars. The same reason applies to Libya. The War in Afghanistan is to protect the right of Western Petroleum to control the access to Central Asia’s reserves and sell them on a controlled market instead of having the petroleum go directly to china using Chinese pipelines. We are fighting to provide Western investors with one set of crooks to bribe instead of many local warlords.

Our politicians provide a consistent set of lies to get us to believe out military is being used for our protection. Our military is mostly protecting the rights of suppliers to over charge for materials and bankers to lend at usurious interest. Instead of the traditional use of a military force to loot the other guys they, big business and bigger banks, are using our Military to Loot us!

This is not only very expensive for all but a few Americans it is a grievous insult to our Troops.

Note: The first response did not discuss the topic but was meant to insult the poster. As expected.

Socalcroozer - You also see too clearly. Expect the same storm.
The point, which went over your head, was that our troops have done such an excellent job of repelling foreign threats over the decades that a lot of Americans, who have no idea what it is like to be invaded, have no notion of the fact that we can go about our daily business protected by the Constitution which is backed up by our troops.

All of this freedom didn't appear out of thin air y'know.

It must be protected, sometimes with guns and bombs.

If it weren't for our troops then we'd be living under the auspices of the Soviet Politburo.

RED DAWN INVASION - YouTube

The Day After (Attack Segment) - YouTube

Old 11-17-2011, 05:59 AM

5,503 posts, read 7,332,162 times
Since 911 we have not had a major attack on our soil. That is in no small part due to our military weakening Al Qaeda. I was in NYC at the time of 911. Our freedoms was seriously curtailed. Those that were killed and their loved ones had their freedom destroyed. Continued attacks would curtail freedom in everything we do.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:04 AM

2,409 posts, read 3,040,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
The point, which went over your head, was that our troops have done such an excellent job of repelling foreign threats over the decades that a lot of Americans, who have no idea what it is like to be invaded, have no notion of the fact that we can go about our daily business protected by the Constitution which is backed up by our troops.

All of this freedom didn't appear out of thin air y'know.

It must be protected, sometimes with guns and bombs.

If it weren't for our troops then we'd be living under the auspices of the Soviet Politburo.

RED DAWN INVASION - YouTube

The Day After (Attack Segment) - YouTube

LMAO!..........thanks for proving my point. You'd rather get your historical perspectives and foreign policy knowlege from Hollywood movies than history books. I'm more worried about the DHS, TSA, FDA, DOD, CIA, and the various alphabet soup agencies that control my life more than I am some goat herding terrorist with an RPG and IED strapped to his body. Communism has been replaced by "terrorism" and people like you have swallowed the boogey man once again.........

Old 11-17-2011, 06:12 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,545,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
LMAO!..........thanks for proving my point. You'd rather get your historical perspectives and foreign policy knowlege from Hollywood movies than history books. I'm more worried about the DHS, TSA, FDA, DOD, CIA, and the various alphabet soup agencies that control my life more than I am some goat herding terrorist with an RPG and IED strapped to his body. Communism has been replaced by "terrorism" and people like you have swallowed the boogey man once again.........
Clearly you have forgotten 9/11...

September 11, 2001 - As It Happened - The Initial Bulletins - YouTube

Was that a Hollywood movie?

Old 11-17-2011, 06:16 AM

45,221 posts, read 26,431,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Clearly you have forgotten 9/11...

Was that a Hollywood movie?
9/11 was a result of our millitary "protecting our freedoms" in places it had no business being.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:21 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,392,923 times
"The troops are protecting our freedom!" is just another one of those tired right wing talker lines. Fortunately the American people seem to be getting more and more tired of paying for our soldiers to be the world's police force along with the accompanying endless wars.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:23 AM

45,221 posts, read 26,431,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan;21749643[B
]"The troops are protecting our freedom[/b]!" is just another one of those tired right wing talker lines. Fortunately the American people seem to be getting more and more tired of paying for our soldiers to be the world's police force along with the accompanying endless wars.
You must be new here and/or don't get out much, because I hear the same nonsense from the government indoctrinated er uh educated fools on the left as well.

They also like to preach to us how our troops are protecting the freedoms of those in other countries too (i.e. Libya)

I pity anyone who enlists to be a US government pawn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies