U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 08:47 AM

29,419 posts, read 18,046,755 times

Advertisements

I'm sure the folks who are leaving russia like the OP sourced don't hate Russia either. They leave because things are so horrible in the government. You sit here and cry and whine. Go get your visa and head on out to greener pastures. They did. Why don't you? Scandinavia is calling you it appears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 08:51 AM

41,505 posts, read 49,742,496 times
I cannot afford to move so I will work to change America into my vision of a society and economy with capitalism for the rich and protection for the poor and working people.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:56 AM

18,563 posts, read 15,842,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I sell low-priced goods (mostly $5 - $10) to a North American market. Shipping costs from another country - even Canada - would make me uncompetitive. For all the griping you hear about the Postal Service, it's the best/cheapest way to ship what I sell to North America.
I agree 100% I hope they find a way to save the post office it really does provide a good service at a reasonable cost.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:17 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,897,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
If America is such a bad place with all of its free-market capitalism, personal freedoms and "1%ers" then why aren't millions of Americans leaving to settle in progressive utopias like Cuba, North Korea, Zimbabwe, China, Iran and (once again) Mother Russia?

Russia is seeing an emigration exodus - latimes.com

East German Immigrant Warns: Americans Could Lose Their Freedom - YouTube
Yes very good question. Just about the entire world adores our Almighty American Dollar and would prefer to be living here. They love our materialistic life even while condemning us, love our money much more than they love their own countries.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:20 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,897,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I have found that anyplace I would want to live is too expensive or, in the case of Scandinavia or Canada, too cold.
So even with capitalism and lack of nationalized health care, the USA is more affordable and liveable?

There is a reason the USA has far more immigrants than any other country in the world and people are stampeding to get here.

Even the illiterate and impoverished are pouring over the borders because being poor in the USA is better than living almost anywhere else.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:23 AM

12,775 posts, read 7,427,045 times
Quote:
If America is such a bad place with all of its free-market capitalism, personal freedoms and "1%ers" then why aren't millions of Americans leaving to settle in progressive utopias like Cuba, North Korea, Zimbabwe, China, Iran and (once again) Mother Russia?
Maybe because, despite the right's rantings and name-callings, progressives or liberals are not communistic.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:39 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,044,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I have found that anyplace I would want to live is too expensive or, in the case of Scandinavia or Canada, too cold.
If you live in New Hampshire as your profile suggests, your state is colder than many parts of Canada. New Hampshire also gets far more snow than many parts of Canada. Despite the common misconception Canada is not a frozen tundra covered in vast quantities of snow year round.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:41 AM

3,502 posts, read 1,744,099 times
Quote:
There is a mass exodus, except its mainly done in the form of jobs and factories, especially to China. Unless you consider American companies progressive, the exodus however is not being pushed by progressives,

Old 11-17-2011, 09:43 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,044,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
So even with capitalism and lack of nationalized health care, the USA is more affordable and liveable?
Canada doesn't have a nationalized health care system, it has a universal health care system (aka single payer). There is a huge difference between the two.

Quote:
There is a reason the USA has far more immigrants than any other country in the world and people are stampeding to get here.

Even the illiterate and impoverished are pouring over the borders because being poor in the USA is better than living almost anywhere else.
They are coming into the U.S. because of its location. Most of your immigrants are from central america, to escape the poverty and living conditions in their own country they head to the closest place where there is a chance to live poverty free, namely the U.S. If Canada were between the U.S. and central america, it would have the immigration problem.

You don't see people from Scandinavia, Australia etc. flocking to the U.S. because living as a poor person there is far better than living as a poor person in the U.S. Why give up a safety net to be treated as a less than; precisely what the U.S. does to the those on the rungs of the bottom of the socio-economic scale.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:30 AM

11,410 posts, read 16,066,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
And....leave the Moonbat Mecca of Cambridge?
Somerville, actually.

And living here, while better than most places in the country, does me no help in affording health insurance post-cancer. I have 60+ years of life left in me and if I ever lose my job or choose to go into business for myself, I would have to seek insurance in the private sector. Before I got cancer at 23, I was cited $600 a month for an individual policy due to some minor health issues in my teens. I can't imagine what it would be now, if I ever qualified for insurance. Most likely it would be well over half of my income. Living in the United States means I will never be able to be as productive as I could be and start my own business or nonprofit, employing other Americans. Instead, I will need to move to a country with a more progressive healthcare system that covers everyone through higher taxes and hire their citizens instead.

America's loss. I can't afford to fight for a change at my own expense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies