Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 01:02 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,638,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Sorry, I did/am worked up. I apologize.

I just don't like the idea that people come across as if single parents chose to be single. There are so many out there struggling to raise children and get then get beat down by people who don't know what it's like. Single parents want the same for their children as 2 parent families want for their children. It's just harder to achieve for many. Keep in mind where you live is a factor, what kind of a community you live in, family support, your financial situation have an impact on how much you can and cannot do. When the number of single parents were smaller than 2 parent families, there were alot of kids coming from the 2 parent family who turned out to be problem kids. As I mentioned, most of those selfish kids protesting probably come from middle class 2 parent families and really aren't showing their very best are they?
Soft, I fully support people making the best of a less than ideal situation, but sadly, many women my age and younger are purposely having babies out of wedlock, thinking that being a single parent is "easy" or somehow glamorous.

I am a soldier in my mid 30s. I can't tell you how many young female soldiers I have had in their early 20s who see getting pregnant by a guy they have zero interest in maintaining a longterm relationship with as a viable option. Most of them did not have dads themselves, so they don't understand what a dad brings to the table. I see this as sad. Just like children deserve two parents, women deserve men who are going to stick around and help them raise their children.

And again, sadly, this is a problem that afflicts the black community at a much higher rate than the white one (but whites are catching up). I think Shaq, along with other good black men, are speaking up on this because they see the impact that the disintergration of the family has. One the main ways to improve black communities is to promote intact black families. As a soldier, I work with a lot of black guys -- most of whom are stand up family types ... the kind who volunteer to serve their country in a time of war -- and they all echo this sentiment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 01:23 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Soft, I fully support people making the best of a less than ideal situation, but sadly, many women my age and younger are purposely having babies out of wedlock, thinking that being a single parent is "easy" or somehow glamorous.

I am a soldier in my mid 30s. I can't tell you how many young female soldiers I have had in their early 20s who see getting pregnant by a guy they have zero interest in maintaining a longterm relationship with as a viable option. Most of them did not have dads themselves, so they don't understand what a dad brings to the table. I see this as sad. Just like children deserve two parents, women deserve men who are going to stick around and help them raise their children.

And again, sadly, this is a problem that afflicts the black community at a much higher rate than the white one (but whites are catching up). I think Shaq, along with other good black men, are speaking up on this because they see the impact that the disintergration of the family has. One the main ways to improve black communities is to promote intact black families. As a soldier, I work with a lot of black guys -- most of whom are stand up family types ... the kind who volunteer to serve their country in a time of war -- and they all echo this sentiment.
Excellent post West!

Old 11-17-2011, 01:28 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,779,319 times
Quote:

When someone makes a blanket statement such as..........

Quote:
Leaders come from 2 parent households.

Followers come from one parent homes, with no daddy to teach them how to lead.
.............it's a slap in the face to those the children that turned out good through the hard work of a single parent. It's a slap in the face to those children who lost fathers and mothers as a result of 9/11, it's a slap in the face of children left with no father or mother because s/he was killed in a war.

It was a statement made that obviously had no thought behind it because it could have been said in a way that would have opened better discussion. It was basically insulting in its structure, or lack of.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:34 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,638,147 times
Quote:

.............it's a slap in the face to those the children that turned out good through the hard work of a single parent. It's a slap in the face to those children who lost fathers and mothers as a result of 9/11, it's a slap in the face of children left with no father or mother because s/he was killed in a war.

It was a statement made that obviously had no thought behind it because it could have been said in a way that would have opened better discussion. It was basically insulting in its structure, or lack of.
The original post was crap, agreed .. but it sparked a good discussion.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
The original post was crap, agreed .. but it sparked a good discussion.
Yeah, got me fired up.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:51 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:

You fail to understand, there is such a thing as a step parent, when the baby daddy bails..

Old 11-17-2011, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
You fail to understand, there is such a thing as a step parent, when the baby daddy bails..
You failed to read my post where I mention that my mother remarried. That would mean I am do know about the step-parent. What about baby mommies, or don't they count???

Old 11-17-2011, 11:10 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,468,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
The right sure is desperate
How is telling the truth, desperate? Most kids with no fathers, do have a follower type, personality. They've been abandoned, by someone who was supposed to protect them, love them, show them the way. Instead, they look for validation their whole lives, by trying to make others happy. I.E. followers. Obama is just trying to get certain people to like him. Obama is no leader.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:39 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,444,381 times
Quote:

That's ridiculous. What crevice did you pull that out of?

Old 11-18-2011, 12:46 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,544,447 times
Quote:

How in the hell has this BS gotten to 10 pages?

If I were to state my opinion in an ignorant manner, it would get shut down 5 minutes after it was posted.

On that note: Everyone who has 6 or or more siblings in destined to be a *****. Sorry your parents were prostitutes.

You know what assuming does?...

EDIT: ***** = whorre
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies