U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 11:28 AM

11,987 posts, read 10,727,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
Perhaps you should have done some research on Mr. O'Neal before you quoted him. Joke thread. ?

Shaquille O'Neal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Shaq has maintained that his step father is his real father for as long as Shaq has been a public figure. You didn't know this? Shaq has been an outspoken proponent of strong male role models for children because he realizes what a boon it was to his life that he had a man step in and raise him. Shaq's right on this one.

I, of course, don't blame kids who don't have dads for their plight. It's sad. Kids need dads. Men need to quit abandoning their children. I think this is one of the major reasons why black Americans have not gotten ahead in America and one of the major reasons why white Americans are slipping.

It's weird to me that it's the conservatives, who are usually individualists, who see this and liberals, the collectivists, don't. When we stand together, we are stronger than when we stand alone.

Societies built around the family thrive. In fact, I think that large, extended clan networks are even better. Those vestiges of American society that still have a somewhat clannish system -- Mormons come to mind -- do better than those that don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 11:32 AM

29,419 posts, read 18,027,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Shaq has maintained that his step father is his real father for as long as Shaq has been a public figure. You didn't know this? Shaq has been an outspoken proponent of strong male role models for children because he realizes what a boon it was to his life that he had a man step in and raise him. Shaq's right on this one.

I, of course, don't blame kids who don't have dads for their plight. It's sad. Kids need dads. Men need to quit abandoning their children. I think this is one of the major reasons why black Americans have not gotten ahead in America and one of the major reasons why white Americans are slipping.

It's weird to me that it's the conservatives, who are usually individualists, who see this and liberals, the collectivists, don't. When we stand together, we are stronger than when we stand alone.

Societies built around the family thrive. In fact, I think that large, extended clan networks are even better. Those vestiges of American society that still have a somewhat clannish system -- Mormons come to mind -- do better than those that don't.
When Bill Cosby went out and stated his opinions in this he was of course vilified. Taking responsibility for ones actions is frowned upon by many for whatever reason. Now Shaq says something about it and he's laughed at too. Why? Who knows.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
I can count my spankings on a few fingers, spats with the hand or houseshoe, once with a flyswatter. I was raised to fear "the look", and that kept me in line!
When my dad spanked me, he taught me that the biggest person gets to call the shots -- regardless of right or wrong or any sort of justice. Might makes right.

When he took the time to explain to me the rationale behind his discipline, he did his best to teach me to be a kind, generous man who is willing to fight when necessary to defend what's worth defending (like he was). His words shaped my character much more than his blows did.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. I wonder what Judge William Adams' daughter was doing 30 minutes after her "spanking". She was blessed with two lovely parents. Wasn't she a lucky girl???
This is a stupid comparison to anything. Have at it though as you don't seem to want to address the topic of the thread.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
When Bill Cosby went out and stated his opinions in this he was of course vilified. Taking responsibility for ones actions is frowned upon by many for whatever reason. Now Shaq says something about it and he's laughed at too. Why? Who knows.
I'm a "liberal" but on this issue the left has it entirely wrong. The right is light years ahead of the left when it comes to this issue.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:41 AM

33,509 posts, read 14,685,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Well GEE! If Shaq said it it MUST be true, eh?
I thought the left felt someone with higher education was someone to be admired and respected.

You statement only proves the hypocrisy of the left. Making light of someones statement without knowing their education prove it.

He has earned his masters and is working on his PHD. kinda makes you feel a little silly doesn't it?
"Education O'Neal left LSU for the NBA after three years. However, he promised his mother he would eventually return to his studies and complete his bachelor's degree. He fulfilled that promise in 2000, earning his bachelor of arts in general studies.[105] Coach Phil Jackson let O'Neal miss a home game so he could attend graduation. At the ceremony, he told the crowd "now I can go and get a real job". Subsequently, O'Neal earned an MBA online through the University of Phoenix in 2005. In reference to his completion of his MBA degree, he stated:
“ It's just something to have on my resume for when I go back into reality. Someday I might have to put down a basketball and have a regular 9-to-5 like everybody else.[106] ” In 2010 he undertook a PhD in Leadership and Education with a specialization in Human Resource Development at Barry University.[107][108] His dissertation topic was "The Duality of Humor and Aggression in Leadership Styles."
Shaquille O'Neal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-17-2011, 12:04 PM

8,743 posts, read 5,572,318 times
Quote:
This is a stupid comparison to anything. Have at it though as you don't seem to want to address the topic of the thread.
It is relevant: making the claim that a child/ren from a 2 parent family are more rounded than those from a single parent home. The premise that a child who comes from a 2 parent family is better off isn't necessarily so. There are children being raised by 2 parents who both or one aren't necessarily the best at parenting. It's been all praise for the 2 parent family and criticism of the single parent.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:05 PM

12,775 posts, read 7,427,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Threatened? No.

Saddened? Yes.

Rationalizing that single-parents, whether it be male or female, are capable of raising children without significant gaps in a mulitude of developmental, cultural, societal traits is problematic for this country.

Just because "you can" doesn't mean "you should." Unfortunately bad decisions rule the day in this country. And it's killing us slowly.
Such drama..

Old 11-17-2011, 12:08 PM

12,775 posts, read 7,427,045 times
Quote:
Who is laughing?

Old 11-17-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
No trolling is making inflamatory or off topic remarks meant to illicit anger and personal fights.

This is a prime example of trolling.
No that is my opinion as stated. This is an opinion board. If you don't like my opinion then don't respond. Pretty simple stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies