U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 12:09 PM

8,743 posts, read 5,553,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
No, too logical. I make too much sense.
Sure you do. Most Neanderthal men do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 12:13 PM

29,419 posts, read 17,962,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Biological father, stepfather. Some stepfathers make better fathers. Because you make a baby doesn't make you a parent.

So, to simplify what you are saying: children raised in a 2 parent family (regardless how good or bad the parenting is) = no problem. Children raised by single parent (regardless how good or bad the parenting is) = problem. Gotcha.

Then you have someone blaming the mother who stays in a crappy marriage for the sake of the kids. It seems women just can't win. If a woman stays in a crappy marriage - harmful effects on the child/ren. If a woman leaves a crappy marriage - harmful effects on the child/ren. Gosh, must be nice being a "man" and not have to take any responsibility, even if he's the one to walk out on the kids.
I've seen nobody claim that two parents equals utopia and one parent equals problems. Simple fact is that it is much harder to raise a child with one parent. Why is that so hard to grasp? It is a major problem in this country too. One could find examples from boths sides that of course contradict this but the overwhelming evidence is what it is. Like I said previously I've coached kids for years and always try and help out single parents as much as possible for the simple reason they need it.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Simple fact is that it is much harder to raise a child with one parent. Why is that so hard to grasp? It is a major problem in this country too. One could find examples from boths sides that of course contradict this but the overwhelming evidence is what it is. Like I said previously I've coached kids for years and always try and help out single parents as much as possible for the simple reason they need it.
Seeing as how I was a single parent, I can speak from experience. It is a problem, but I, like many women, and today MEN, manage/d to raise good kids.

We didn't plan to become single parents - either spouses died, or walked out, or we made the decision to leave, but we knew that we had to come up with a plan to take care of our children and we managed. So if you were never a single parent, don't pass judgement on those of us who were/are.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:21 PM

3,502 posts, read 1,734,724 times
Quote:
. So if you were never a single parent, don't pass judgement on those of us who were/are.
I don't think he's passing judgement on the parents as much as he is on the children. Very classy thing to do.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:21 PM

60,256 posts, read 30,643,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERS-One View Post
Didn't Jesus basically come from a single parent household?
Who was Joseph

Old 11-17-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Seeing as how I was a single parent, I can speak from experience. It is a problem, but I, like many women, and today MEN, manage/d to raise good kids.

We didn't plan to become single parents - either spouses died, or walked out, or we made the decision to leave, but we knew that we had to come up with a plan to take care of our children and we managed. So if you were never a single parent, don't pass judgement on those of us who were/are.
You act as though your being attacked for some reason. Nobody is doing that as far as I can tell. I'm not passing any judgement just speaking in terms of reality. You even agreed it was a problem then get all defensive about it.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:31 PM

12,775 posts, read 7,384,298 times
Quote:
I've seen nobody claim that two parents equals utopia and one parent equals problems.
I guess you missed this comment from BentBow:

It is when there is no 2nd parent at all, when the problems start.

And let's not gloss over Aero's gems..

Old 11-17-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
You act as though your being attacked for some reason. Nobody is doing that as far as I can tell. I'm not passing any judgement just speaking in terms of reality. You even agreed it was a problem then get all defensive about it.
Sorry, I did/am worked up. I apologize.

I just don't like the idea that people come across as if single parents chose to be single. There are so many out there struggling to raise children and get then get beat down by people who don't know what it's like. Single parents want the same for their children as 2 parent families want for their children. It's just harder to achieve for many. Keep in mind where you live is a factor, what kind of a community you live in, family support, your financial situation have an impact on how much you can and cannot do. When the number of single parents were smaller than 2 parent families, there were alot of kids coming from the 2 parent family who turned out to be problem kids. As I mentioned, most of those selfish kids protesting probably come from middle class 2 parent families and really aren't showing their very best are they?

Old 11-17-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I did/am worked up. I apologize.

I just don't like the idea that people come across as if single parents chose to be single. There are so many out there struggling to raise children and get then get beat down by people who don't know what it's like. Single parents want the same for their children as 2 parent families want for their children. It's just harder to achieve for many. Keep in mind where you live is a factor, what kind of a community you live in, family support, your financial situation have an impact on how much you can and cannot do. When the number of single parents were smaller than 2 parent families, there were alot of kids coming from the 2 parent family who turned out to be problem kids. As I mentioned, most of those selfish kids protesting probably come from middle class 2 parent families and really aren't showing their very best are they?
Well hell most of those OWS folks are spoiled brats who've never seen a day of work. Mummy and daddy's credit card pays for everything.

Of course nobody chooses it, well anybody sane. Lord knows kids are hard enough. I think a lot is these young kids wanting kids and then they guy can conveniently walk away and leave a young mother hanging there. That ensures a rough path for anybody. Hell half of em are still kids themselves. I personally think it's luck of the draw. I got two kids who aren't the smartest tools in the shed but they always make good decisions and I'm not worried too much about em doing the right thing and turning out fine. My other one is borderline genius but she is nothing but trouble from day to day. Damn girls!! LOL

Old 11-17-2011, 12:53 PM

5,774 posts, read 6,658,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
So would I but the self-Righteous pretty much end their whines after the sound bite, facts apparently require too much energy.
One which one of their parents they learned that from? Mommy...or 1/2 Mommy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies