Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 08:25 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,641,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Sounds like another post putting single-parent households on a pedestal.

Just what we need.....more cheerleaders of the "I don't need no baby daddy" movement.
Whatsamatta?

Feeling threatened?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 08:32 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Whatsamatta?

Feeling threatened?
Threatened? No.

Saddened? Yes.

Rationalizing that single-parents, whether it be male or female, are capable of raising children without significant gaps in a mulitude of developmental, cultural, societal traits is problematic for this country.

Just because "you can" doesn't mean "you should." Unfortunately bad decisions rule the day in this country. And it's killing us slowly.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:54 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,638,147 times
Why do rightwingers fetishize spanking so much? It's creepy. They brag about the beatings they got as children and ha ha, how much they deserved it. I'm not an absolutist on this subject. I was spanked by my mother and father on occasion as a child, and I spanked my daughter when she was too young to be reasoned with. (I haven't spanked her since she was 6 .. and even before that, it was seldom.. less than four times in her life total.) I think there is a definite correlation between corporal punishment and rightwing authoritarian personalities. Rightwingers, who are supposedly the most religious, also have the most warped ideas about God. They see God as the chief bully in the sky.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Threatened? No.

Saddened? Yes.

Rationalizing that single-parents, whether it be male or female, are capable of raising children without significant gaps in a mulitude of developmental, cultural, societal traits is problematic for this country.

Just because "you can" doesn't mean "you should." Unfortunately bad decisions rule the day in this country. And it's killing us slowly.
I agree with this. It's sad how many young women think they can raise their kids "without a man". Sure, it can be done, but why would you? You should expect and demand that a man stick around and help raise a child. It's an easier, less stressful, more enjoyable experience to raise a child in a two-parent household.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
It's a simple fact that a child who isn't raised by BOTH parents are being cheated one way or the other. That is my view. I don't know about raising leaders but kids need both sides of the spectrum. Both parents bring many different traits to a child be it a boy or girl. They need both to be well rounded. That's not saying one can't raise a child on their own as many are put in that position but it is much harder and creates voids in the child's life. I've seen this over and over again coaching kids, some from one parent homes the last fifteen or so years. There isn't really any blame to throw around its just a fact.
Agreed.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:12 AM

29,407 posts, read 21,996,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Why do rightwingers fetishize spanking so much? It's creepy. They brag about the beatings they got as children and ha ha, how much they deserved it. I'm not an absolutist on this subject. I was spanked by my mother and father on occasion as a child, and I spanked my daughter when she was too young to be reasoned with. (I haven't spanked her since she was 6 .. and even before that, it was seldom.. less than four times in her life total.) I think there is a definite correlation between corporal punishment and rightwing authoritarian personalities. Rightwingers, who are supposedly the most religious, also have the most warped ideas about God. They see God as the chief bully in the sky.
Cmon Cobb it all goes back to our alter boy days and the preists getting us all drunk on the jesus juice. Don't you know that??

Old 11-17-2011, 10:16 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,074,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Only an idiot, a crank, or a lunatic demands negative proof.

I'm still waiting for some one to disprove my invisible pink unicorn to address anyone demanding negative proof.

Personally, two parents is nice...but I'd rather have one then a criminal, molester, or a beater.

Oh hey, look. I presented as many facts as Shaq did, nothing besides my opinion.
Or a combination of idiot,crank,lunatic,RIGHT WINGER

He presented the EXACT same opinion that LIBERAL community leaders have stated for decades...hmm...why aren't they getting any credit for it on FAUX & Frauds??

Could it be they just want to bash lower income Americans?

Old 11-17-2011, 10:18 AM

3,498 posts, read 2,217,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
It was something Shaq said this morning on FOX & Friends.

He was referencing the leaders coming out of the black communities and a father and leader in the home, like he had to keep him on the right track.

Quote:
O'Neal was born in Newark, New Jersey. He remains estranged from his biological father. Joseph Toney of Newark. Toney, who was once an All-State guard in high school who was offered a basketball scholarship to play at Seton Hall, struggled with drug addiction and was, by 1973, imprisoned for drug possession when O'Neal was an infant
Perhaps you should have done some research on Mr. O'Neal before you quoted him. Joke thread. ?

Shaquille O'Neal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-17-2011, 10:26 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,779,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The deal is, 30 minutes to an hour after the ass woop'n, were you throwing the ball, or shooting hoops... going fishing or hunting with dad?
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. I wonder what Judge William Adams' daughter was doing 30 minutes after her "spanking". She was blessed with two lovely parents. Wasn't she a lucky girl???

Old 11-17-2011, 10:26 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,633,867 times
I can count my spankings on a few fingers, spats with the hand or houseshoe, once with a flyswatter. I was raised to fear "the look", and that kept me in line!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies