U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 04:56 PM

8,803 posts, read 7,463,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
well, start from the premise that the protesters want the "bush tax cuts" to expire:

and consider that the bush tax cuts included a reduction in tax rates of capital gains and dividends:

Then you should be able to figure that they specifically want to raise capital gains taxes.
You see, you're premise requires me to "figure" things out, Obama just wants to raise the upper tax bracket by 3% which doesn't affect millionaires at all. Show me proof of "the rich" calling for increased capital gains. Deductive reasoning isn't sound enough considering "the plan" is just to allow the Bush tax cuts expire for the upper bracket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 05:19 PM

31,201 posts, read 13,240,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
What is stopping them from paying more taxes now?

You want a voluntary tax policy?

Old 11-17-2011, 05:23 PM

6,034 posts, read 7,396,939 times
We have a SPENDING problem not a tax problem.... UNTIL we fix the crazy insanely high spending levels, we can tax everything at 100% and still collapse...

Look at Greece to see what a restrictive tax policy does.... Around 60% of their economy is in cash and underground.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:28 PM

9,644 posts, read 8,508,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
You want a voluntary tax policy?
Didnt say that but I dont feel a few people get to make the choice for all. If they want to give more money to the federal gov. Then pull out their checkbook and put their money where their mouth is. There is nothing stopping them from doing that now. So why arent they?

Old 11-17-2011, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
And this is where you lose the argument. If it certainly wont help on lower and middle class, then why the hell will it help on millionaires and billionaires? There are so few of them that you expect them to single handily solve the SPENDING problem which this nation has?
Once again, this will not balance the budget but will be a positive move towards reducing the deficit. The top earners have benefited most through the Bush tax cuts, especially from capital gains being lowered to 15%, this is a logical move for the benefit of the country.

The lower and middle classes have have been hardest hit by the recession, but this is not the time the time to increase taxes on lower income families, especially with the poverty level increasing to 15%.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Didnt say that but I dont feel a few people get to make the choice for all. If they want to give more money to the federal gov. Then pull out their checkbook and put their money where their mouth is. There is nothing stopping them from doing that now. So why arent they?
Requestings individuals to act voluntarily doesn't take the place of congress setting policy whether it be the deficit, polution, or paying for education.
I wouldn't ask anyone that takes issue with polution to go put a catalytic converter on his own car, government needs to take responsibility and this would be a good start.

A few people are not making a choice for all, that is still up to congress but it should be a real eye opener for all when millionaires say they aren't being taxed enough, but some feel they are being selfish, go figure.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:48 PM

69,372 posts, read 54,739,781 times
Quote:
Once again, this will not balance the budget but will be a positive move towards reducing the deficit. The top earners have benefited most through the Bush tax cuts, especially from capital gains being lowered to 15%, this is a logical move for the benefit of the country.
None of this is true. The tax cuts INCREASED revenues, so why wouldn tyou expect the opposite result from an opposite policy?

Furthermore, how does taking money out of the economy equate to the benefit of the country? Why not increase taxes to 100%, because according to you, higher taxes = a benefit, so lets tax everyone at 100%, wont the nation be fabulous then?
Quote:
The lower and middle classes have have been hardest hit by the recession, but this is not the time the time to increase taxes on lower income families, especially with the poverty level increasing to 15%.
Then why the hell would it be a good time to increase taxes on ANY family?

Old 11-17-2011, 05:59 PM

3,458 posts, read 3,062,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
You see, you're premise requires me to "figure" things out
you say that like it is a bad thing.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:34 PM

9,644 posts, read 8,508,628 times
Quote:
Requestings individuals to act voluntarily doesn't take the place of congress setting policy whether it be the deficit, polution, or paying for education.
I wouldn't ask anyone that takes issue with polution to go put a catalytic converter on his own car, government needs to take responsibility and this would be a good start.

A few people are not making a choice for all, that is still up to congress but it should be a real eye opener for all when millionaires say they aren't being taxed enough, but some feel they are being selfish, go figure.
Congress has set that policy and if you wish to pay more then so be it. Have at it. There is NOTHING stopping them from giving more.

Not sure when so many started thinking that we work to give our money to the gov. That makes us a slave, because we are working to give it to someone else to decide how to spend it. Sorry I prefer to spend my money how I see fit since I am the one busting my butt to earn it. Instead of giving it to a bunch of over paid people to keep increasing the spending so I have to keep giving them more.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:40 PM

17,075 posts, read 19,383,539 times
Why bother raising income tax or capital gain tax... go straight for the kill, go for the "wealth tax"... every asset above 5 million limit is confiscated by the US government... I wonder how much of these millionaires will be whining then and claim it is unfair... I wonder what Buffett would think if they emptied his bank accounts and seized all his precious arts and whatnot...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies