Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 02:25 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
You could confiscate the yearly income of all of the millionaires and it won't even touch the DEFICIT, much less the debt. It's not the income, it's a spending issue.
That is a point the right wingers cling onto, and as expected, it is utter non-sense. The key isn't to tax, but to have people invest. This self-made billionaire agrees.

"In fact, follow this logic. Its counter intuitive, but its absolutely true. The higher the tax rate on income the more risks us money chasers have to take in order to hit our number. If you want that number, you are going to go for it. Period, end of story. More risk, more companies started, more people hired."

Also...

"They invest because they want to grow the company. They invest because they are competitive and they want to win. They invest because they want to make more money. They don’t invest because they just had their tax rates lowered."

And...
"Bottomline is that while CEOs of public companies and financial engineers have good reasons to ask for lower taxes, I don’t see lower taxes creating jobs. I am not suggesting that increasing taxes is a good thing for companies. That is a topic for another day."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 02:32 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,280,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
That is a point the right wingers cling onto, and as expected, it is utter non-sense. The key isn't to tax, but to have people invest. This self-made billionaire agrees.

"In fact, follow this logic. Its counter intuitive, but its absolutely true. The higher the tax rate on income the more risks us money chasers have to take in order to hit our number. If you want that number, you are going to go for it. Period, end of story. More risk, more companies started, more people hired."

Also...

"They invest because they want to grow the company. They invest because they are competitive and they want to win. They invest because they want to make more money. They don’t invest because they just had their tax rates lowered."

And...
"Bottomline is that while CEOs of public companies and financial engineers have good reasons to ask for lower taxes, I don’t see lower taxes creating jobs. I am not suggesting that increasing taxes is a good thing for companies. That is a topic for another day."
But how will raising taxes on the middle class help the economy?

Just means I'll have less to invest and less money to spend to help stimulate growth in the economic sector

Seems very stupid if you ask me. They want to pay more taxes? Fine, set the tax limit at something like 2 million a year pays more in taxes. It is dumb for millionaires to scream that people who make 40 - 300K/year need to pay more taxes. <---- And that's exactly what they are doing.

They are hypocrites, plain and simple. They won't even pay more themselves. No one is stopping them.

Old 11-17-2011, 02:43 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,695,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post

Just means I'll have less to invest and less money to spend to help stimulate growth in the economic sector

Seems very stupid if you ask me. They want to pay more taxes? Fine, set the tax limit at something like 2 million a year pays more in taxes. It is dumb for millionaires to scream that people who make 40 - 300K/year need to pay more taxes. <---- And that's exactly what they are doing.

They are hypocrites, plain and simple. They won't even pay more themselves. No one is stopping them.

Where did you read that in the article?

From the article:

Quote:
"We want to pay more taxes," said California millionaire Doug Edwards, a former marketing director for Google (GOOG, Fortune 500). "If you're fortunate, and you make more than a million dollars a year, you ought to pay more taxes."

Old 11-17-2011, 02:45 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:

I don't think letting tax cuts expire on the lower and middle class will do anything. It certainly won't help. The point made in my previous post was about millionaires and billionaires, as the title of this thread is meant to be about.

Old 11-17-2011, 03:56 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,280,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
Where did you read that in the article?

From the article:
This is where it was reported (they want to do away with the Bush Tax cuts, which help all income classes-- not just the rich):

Quote:
They want to let the Bush Tax cuts expire. It says so on CNN.

The Bush Tax cuts affect all income levels

"The millionaires want Congress to allow the tax cuts passed during the George W. Bush administration to expire. Some want higher taxes generally."Millionaires ask Congress to raise their taxes - Nov. 16, 2011

"You may have been led to believe that only individuals in the top two brackets will face higher federal income taxes when the Bush cuts go bye-bye. Not true! Unless Congress takes action and President Obama goes along, rates will go up for everyone -- not just a sliver of the wealthiest Americans. The current six rate brackets of 10%, 15%, 25%, 28%, 33% and 35% will be replaced by five new brackets with the higher rates of 15%, 28%, 31%, 36% and 39.6%."
how-the-expiring-bush-tax-cuts-affect-you: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance

So enjoy paying higher taxes everyone, because these millionaires think you should!

Old 11-17-2011, 03:58 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,909,291 times
Quote:
Mark Cuban is stuck. He can't take his NBA team to another country with a lower corporate tax rate and still compete in his given market. Same with his TV Networks since they are shown on US satellite systems. Compare that to GE or any other company that produces a tangible good that can be shipped around the world. They are going to move to a location with lower taxes. And whatever rate they are taxed at will be passed on to the consumer as a built in cost.

He made one great decision in selling Broadcast.com to Yahoo! right before the tech stocks tanked. Yes he is technically "self made" but that is much different from guys who struggled for years re-investing profits to slowly build a company. I'll bet right now he's wondering where the cash flow is from his NBA team.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:03 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,842,040 times
What is stopping them from paying more taxes now?

Old 11-17-2011, 04:19 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
I don't think letting tax cuts expire on the lower and middle class will do anything. It certainly won't help. The point made in my previous post was about millionaires and billionaires, as the title of this thread is meant to be about.
And this is where you lose the argument. If it certainly wont help on lower and middle class, then why the hell will it help on millionaires and billionaires? There are so few of them that you expect them to single handily solve the SPENDING problem which this nation has?

Old 11-17-2011, 04:27 PM

386 posts, read 232,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
That's nice. Pay more taxes if you want but don't force it on everyone else.
More importantly, don't force it on the economy!!!

Old 11-17-2011, 04:33 PM

386 posts, read 232,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
What is stopping them from paying more taxes now?
Their Greed - Sanctimonious, Duplicitous, Hypocritical Greed!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies