Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 04:50 PM

488 posts, read 554,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Welcome to the New Liberal America. Where Liberals make sure no one's feelings get hurt, everyone deserves everything, and if you don't get it, you get to litigate until everyone else is forced to agree with you.
Do you not support the right of the clinic to choose for itself if it wants a Santa or Christmas decorations? Many conservatives hailed the handgun teacher who said he would refuse to teach Muslims and liberals as an example of the freedom businesses should enjoy in this country. Why should this be a reason to scorn liberals when it's just another example of a business exercising its rights? Perhaps, because they are banning something you like and enjoy in this case?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 05:13 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,054,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill80 View Post
Do you not support the right of the clinic to choose for itself if it wants a Santa or Christmas decorations? Many conservatives hailed the handgun teacher who said he would refuse to teach Muslims and liberals as an example of the freedom businesses should enjoy in this country. Why should this be a reason to scorn liberals when it's just another example of a business exercising its rights? Perhaps, because they are banning something you like and enjoy in this case?
I have no doubts that there are some conservatives on C-D that would be overjoyed if this clinic refused to treat gay people, refused to treat liberals, etc.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:07 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,506,034 times
Default Santa will be at cancer center

'Considering the passionate response from our patients and the community, we have therefore decided to allow all traditional holiday activities reflecting all beliefs, including Santa, because we recognize the emotional benefit to patients.'

There will be Santa after all - Charleston, SC | News, Sports, Weather

Once in a while public outrage has good results. for the children who'll enjoy Santa.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:16 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,528,918 times
Santa is no longer banned at that cancer center. Enough of the PAYING patients complained and in about a full day the management rescinded this insanity.

Ahh, Jazzarama, you got it covered. Happy Mistletoe and Happy Birthday, Christ!

Old 11-17-2011, 06:52 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,321,979 times
Well, some Christians associate Santa disguised as being Satan.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:11 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Santa is secular. Traditions don't make something religious. I'm sick to death of this crap btw, and the people who belive that even THINKING ABOUT IT is important.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:16 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,193,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
So, South Carolina is really a blue state?

Or maybe the righties there are weak in their convictions?

Guess so..
Nah, they were so busy sitting around deeply contemplating how much they hate black people they forgot to check the back door and whoopsie! Sharia law slipped right on in. And now Santa's dead in SC. Congrats Palmetto State! Those trees are blocking more than just cannonballs; they're deflecting Santa's sleigh!

Old 11-18-2011, 05:53 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,438,888 times
Want to do something actually USEFUL at a cancer center? Offer rides to patients, bring socks and hats, bake the infusion nurses cupcakes (they so deserve it), do something PRACTICAL!

I would have pitched a fit if Santa came bounding around my cancer center. Really, all we wanted to do is sleep and hope to get through the day. Having a man dress up and "spread cheer" is obnoxious in light of the situation.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:28 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,584,176 times
Santa is being allowed at the center because of the public response.

However, underlying this whole discussion about Santa is the assumption that someone else's beliefs that you do not share are offensive. Aren't we supposed to be learning to understand and respect everyone else's beliefs? Let's say for a moment that Santa was a religious symbol, wouldn't it be more respectful and inclusive to allow Santa and encourage others that don't celebrate Christmas to educate their kids on why some celebrate it? Tolerance and respect should mean that we allow others to express their views and not get upset about it rather than shutting them down because others will get upset. This whole effort is misguided in it's strategy for reaching its own goal. I don't care if Santa sits in a chair next to a table that has a menorah on it and African baskets hanging above in celebration of Kwanzaa.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:36 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,375,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Want to do something actually USEFUL at a cancer center? Offer rides to patients, bring socks and hats, bake the infusion nurses cupcakes (they so deserve it), do something PRACTICAL!

I would have pitched a fit if Santa came bounding around my cancer center. Really, all we wanted to do is sleep and hope to get through the day. Having a man dress up and "spread cheer" is obnoxious in light of the situation.
Jeeze this is about kids.

And if you insist that only volunteers who offer "practical" services be allowed in these kind of institutions, I guess that means you also don't approve of church groups coming in, musicians who do sing alongs, or people like me who visit with Therapy Dogs. We all do what we can and putting a smile on someone's face is worth a LOT, at least some of us think so.

That was all this guy wanted to do and if some parents object, the solution is to NOT have him visit those particular kids. Not everyone wants a visit from me and my dogs, it's no biggie, I skip the room.

Last edited by FrugalYankee; 11-18-2011 at 06:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies