U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 01:47 PM

31,777 posts, read 24,120,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
the tea party now has the plan to do what no one esle will
Not even the tea party. It is why they won't explain "the plan" to cut $391 Billion a year to Medicare/Medicaid/SS etc. Guess what, these would be the folks screaming about $500 billion in reduced spending on Medicare over ten years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 01:49 PM

12,482 posts, read 8,552,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Not even the tea party. It is why they won't explain "the plan" to cut $391 Billion a year to Medicare/Medicaid/SS etc. Guess what, these would be the folks screaming about $500 billion in reduced spending on Medicare over ten years.
That 500 billion is transferre dto Obama care not savings

Old 11-17-2011, 01:51 PM

47,314 posts, read 24,833,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
There are some responsible adults there.

People would never, in their right mind, run their personal pocket books like what is taking place now in government.
Folks in their right minds wouldn't be comparing a federal budget to a household budget either.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:51 PM

44,924 posts, read 27,190,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
You could cut it, but to assume that cutting $146 million, which is the budget of the NEA, is going to make a dent in 9 trillion is extremely ignorant. Do you have any idea how small 146 million is compared to 9 trillion?
Do you have any idea how many other cuts of at least that much could easily be found that need to be cut? I guess you haven't heard the story about the woman who was arrested for peeing in the ocean trying to aid the drowning of her husband. Same thing works in these two places.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:52 PM

3,458 posts, read 3,006,504 times
Quote:
I think you are correct here. We all need to decide if we spend too much or are we taxed are not taxed enough. Once you decide than then you can decide if you try to control spending or just tax people more.

Our tax system is screwed up, sure, but our problems don't come from taxing (too much or too little) or government spending (too much or too little).

They also don't come from Federal Budget deficits.

they come from private debt. Mortgages and car loans and student loans, and the stupid incentives our government gives out for the average person to load up with debt they can't afford, and the direct line that banks get from the Fed to lend us that money (at interest.) They come from the policy that said asset inflation was good, and that rich folks were "job creators", and that we should give the "job creators" money, straight from the federal reserve, until everything fixes itself.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
traditionally, "patrons of the arts" funded this kind of thing. There is no reason why government should. I did not read the whole thing yet (I'm at work) but so far, I am in agreement.

Can't wait to see what it says about welfare and food stamps.

20yrsinBranson
What is food stamps...80 billion a year or so? LOL....yea, that'll work.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:53 PM

3,502 posts, read 1,746,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Do you have any idea how many other cuts of at least that much could easily be found that need to be cut? I guess you haven't heard the story about the woman who was arrested for peeing in the ocean trying to aid the drowning of her husband. Same thing works in these two places.
When Rep. King asked what he will cut he mentioned the NEA. Signficant enough for him to mention.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:54 PM

12,482 posts, read 8,552,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
Our tax system is screwed up, sure, but our problems don't come from taxing (too much or too little) or government spending (too much or too little).

They also don't come from Federal Budget deficits.

they come from private debt. Mortgages and car loans and student loans.
So you do not think we tax people too much or spend too much, if that so the case should we not have a balanced budget

Old 11-17-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
Seriously, imagine knee-jerk reacting so hard that you give yourself a concussion.

Why do liberals present such a bleak picture when the smart people say they want to make cuts? Were roads crumbling 20 years ago when we didn't have a huge deficit? I am not sure how cutting money is going to take away workers rights too. And last I looked, there will be state government to handle things which while they are still mired in corruption and red tape, they are better than the feds.

So incredibly short sighted.

Perhaps.

However i can always take comfort in the fact that there isn't a Tea Partier alive (that wants to get elected, or reelected) that has the nerve to pull the trigger on 9 trillion in cuts. None. Nada. Not one. But they'll keep talking about it though....speeches about "less government, lower taxes, and spending cuts" always sound great.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:56 PM

3,458 posts, read 3,006,504 times
Quote:
So you do not think we tax people too much or spend too much, if that so the case should we not have a balanced budget
I don't think it makes much difference if we balance the budget or not.

I mean, it'd be a nice little cherry on top of an existing stable economy, but it's not the sort of thing that catapults you into runaway growth, whether you measure that by jobs or by GDP. It is actually the other way around, where the process of growing the deficit creates short-term growth, and the process of shrinking the deficit creates short-term decline.

Stepping back for a minute and looking at the big picture, beyond the tiny little world of taxes and spending -- the whole idea behind shrinking government deficits is an idea that's pushed by the wealthy banking elites, because when it comes to who gets money from the Fed, the government is their only competition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies