Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2011, 06:15 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,274,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamky View Post
Not many profs blog about their findings. No one said anything about discrimination. It is easier to build a network when working with people (as opposed to read their blogs (which don't exist)).
The money saved from self-educating can be applied towards building that network. You're making this trivial task much harder than it has to be, since you and I agree there's no discrimination.

There are a bazillion reading and discussion clubs in most local areas. This is how you get noticed in intellectual circles...not from a piece of paper. You are discussing profs, which is not the subject of this thread. I am talking about 4-6 year college educated folks in (career-wise) useless majors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 06:20 AM

2,735 posts, read 2,462,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
I disagree. I have a hypothesis and I am eagerly waiting for yours.
What is a hypothesis without data? And why do you care what other people choose to study? You are just a wannabe Libertarian.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:22 AM

488 posts, read 554,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
So that we're not entirely negative, let's also take a look at the most useful majors:

Useful College Majors from Engineering to Mathematics to Business - The Daily Beast
I find it funny that they list several majors in career fields in which people are finding extremely difficult or impossible to find jobs, specifically education, nursing, and accounting. I wouldn't put much stock into either lists. My advice would be to do your own research and find fields that interest you and are hiring. The only bad thing is things can change very drastically in four years. Something that is booming when you start college can burst before you graduate!

Old 11-18-2011, 06:24 AM

Quote:
The money saved from self-educating can be applied towards building that network. You're making this trivial task much harder than it has to be, since you and I agree there's no discrimination.

There are a bazillion reading and discussion clubs in most local areas. This is how you get noticed in intellectual circles...not from a piece of paper. You are discussing profs, which is not the subject of this thread. I am talking about 4-6 year college educated folks in (career-wise) useless majors.
Which you-as a Libertarian- shouldn't even be discussing. Why do you have the authority to decide which major is useless? People have the freedom to choose the life they want to live. If that includes a (useless) major, so be it. You want to dictate people what to do with their life. You want to define what is useless and what is useful. You would like the government to dictate people what to study. You are a nanny statist.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:26 AM

Quote:
What is a hypothesis without data?
The data is the correlation that salaries and demand are still high yet so are loan defaults. The task cannot realistically be offshored and yet those who choose this education route cannot reliably find work. It's intellectually lazy to simply put the blame on the hospitals, as the law of supply and demand dictate that employers always relax requirements and/or increase salaries when they have a real demand for something.

Like I said, I'm eagerly awaiting your hypothesis, unless of course it's blaming the hospitals?

Quote:
And why do you care what other people choose to study?
In the end, I actually don't care what people study, so long as their loans continue to be non-dischargable (aka I don't have to ultimately their education). It's more of a schadenfreude thing I guess, like when I warned people to not buy houses in 2005.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:29 AM

23,965 posts, read 15,059,733 times
After watching the government in action and the news on tv for the last month, I strongly suspect there will be a very strong demand ethics teachers.

Thanks for asking, the daughter who was the anthropology major teaches school. That's all she ever wanted to do. The other daughter quit advertising when it dawned her, the whole industry was about lying to people. She also teaches. Her choice is preschool.

Their father urge them to discover what they loved.

You can always figure out how to make a living.

Both knew going in they would never make a dime.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Which you-as a Libertarian- shouldn't even be discussing. Why do you have the authority to decide which major is useless?
I'm not seeking authority.

Quote:
People have the freedom to choose the life they want to live. If that includes a (useless) major, so be it. You want to dictate people what to do with their life. You want to define what is useless and what is useful. You would like the government to dictate people what to study.
I would never dream of telling the government what people should be majoring in. School loans should return to the private market, this way they will dictate who gets a loan based on their major. That is the libertarian thing to do.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post

You can always figure out how to make a living.
Then you agree with me that the six-figure-in-debt underwater basketweavers with that "I'm a 99%er" sheet of paper are just whiners? After all, you can always figure out how to make a living, thus they have as well.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:38 AM

Quote:
The data is the correlation that salaries and demand are still high yet so are loan defaults. The task cannot realistically be offshored and yet those who choose this education route cannot reliably find work. It's intellectually lazy to simply put the blame on the hospitals, as the law of supply and demand dictate that employers always relax requirements and/or increase salaries when they have a real demand for something.

Like I said, I'm eagerly awaiting your hypothesis, unless of course it's blaming the hospitals?
Do you know what data is? You need to back up this:

Quote:
Ding ding! When they realize that they have to actually do disgusting things to earn that high wage, they quickly hide in their cubby hole and default on their loans.
You make the assumption that "doing disgusting things" is the reason they give up. You didn't provide data to back this up.

Why are you awaiting my hypothesis? I never said anything about nurses or hospitals (but you try to create a intellectual dishonest strawman there) I don't know anything about nurses in the USA. Why should I make up a ridiculous hypothesis like you did and completely embarass myself by not providing any proof aka data?

Quote:
In the end, I actually don't care what people study, so long as their loans continue to be non-dischargable (aka I don't have to ultimately their education). It's more of a schadenfreude thing I guess, like when I warned people to not buy houses in 2005.
Yeah, its really funny when people (no matter how stupid they were) end up in poverty. Shows how mature you are. And no one believes you the last sentence.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:40 AM

Quote:
I'm not seeking authority.

I would never dream of telling the government what people should be majoring in. School loans should return to the private market, this way they will dictate who gets a loan based on their major. That is the libertarian thing to do.
You make statements like "People should study this and that...". You define what useless is. This is not Libertarian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies