U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2011, 06:58 AM

20,006 posts, read 15,171,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamky View Post
Where is the data for your hypothesis?
Sociologist Bryan Turner identified nurses’ most important complaints as subordination to the medical profession as well as over regulation, and difficult working conditions.

I would appreciate an alternative hypothesis now.

(In before you say "that's not enough data to satisfy me")
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 06:59 AM

4,120 posts, read 3,694,840 times
I see underwater basket weaving is not on that list.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:59 AM

6,156 posts, read 3,984,304 times
Quote:
And I believe that judging people is not Libertarian. And yes, I am a Libertarian.
You're not a libertarian, you're trying to infringe on my right to call people stupid

Old 11-18-2011, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
I see underwater basket weaving is not on that list.
Google is your friend.

Underwater basket weaving - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-18-2011, 07:02 AM

2,735 posts, read 2,083,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Look up the definition of libertarian

"A person who advocates civil liberty."

Saying someone is stupid for being an underwater basketweaver and saying they're not allowed to do it are two separate things.
Libertarianism means more than that. It is about individual liberty. You judge people who study what they love only because they won't have "nice" careers afterwards. If that study brings them their maximum liberty and happiness, then we should encourage that.
Also, comparing underwater basketweaver to majors like chemistry and art history is intellectual dishonest.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
You're not a libertarian, you're trying to infringe on my right to call people stupid
I do? Do I support a law that does that? I am saying that judging people who pursue their individual happiness contradicts what libertarians believe in.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Libertarianism means more than that.
Then ask for the definition to be changed. I'm sure they'll just take your word for it LOL.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:05 AM

6,156 posts, read 3,984,304 times
Quote:
Libertarianism means more than that. It is about individual liberty. You judge people who study what they love only because they won't have "nice" careers afterwards. If that study brings them their maximum liberty and happiness, then we should encourage that.
Nobody is trying to deny anyone any liberty here Pamky. I really don't know where you're getting this from.

Quote:
I do? Do I support a law that does that?
I was following your argument to its logical conclusion. Funny how you just made the exact same argument that I did a minute ago.

Quote:
I am saying that judging people who pursue their individual happiness contradicts what libertarians believe in.
Why are you judging me then Just let me be happy

Old 11-18-2011, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Sociologist Bryan Turner identified nursesí most important complaints as subordination to the medical profession as well as over regulation, and difficult working conditions.

I would appreciate an alternative hypothesis now.

(In before you say "that's not enough data to satisfy me")
I never said I had a hypothesis, so you can give up that strawman already. A strawman is against the etiquette in a forum.

Where is the link? Also your post states three main reasons, none of them is "doing nasty things". The reasons are subordination, over regulation and difficult working conditions. It doesn't say what includes difficult working conditions. It also doesn't say that this is the main reason.
So you yourself have proven that your assumption was wrong. Good job!

Old 11-18-2011, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Good job!
Thanks Pamky. I knew I could count on your support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies