U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-18-2011, 09:08 AM
 
23,851 posts, read 19,238,691 times
Reputation: 9378

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I am 100% sure your mother changed her mind about some things while parenting you. I know I did.



What the ??? Please elaborate.

My kids are grown, and believe it or not, are quite independent. I really don't know what you are talking about!
Grown, but in nursing school/college/community college right? Or were? I recall references you've made towards what you and your hubby have done to support your kids, and several times it screamed "helictopter parent." I'm not here to criticize your parenting. But I thought it quite convenient for you to criticize others without kids while coming off as a "helicopter parent" in my view. Nothing personal, and I don't feel like digging through posts to quote you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-18-2011, 09:15 AM
 
2,695 posts, read 3,615,001 times
Reputation: 1555
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKrab View Post
Please don't lecture me. I have been out of college. I have an engineering degree. My parents only helped me with paying for housing during school. All other finances were mine.

I am sick of people on this forum who come and lecture others like the people they are speaking to via the internet are some useless clowns with no intelligence at all and need their advice.

I do just fine raising my family with the degree I earned and job I have. Thanks.
Every engineer (E.E. from the Big 10 university) likes to tell you they're an engineer (just a statement of fact). I did the Fortran, material science...Most of my classmates finished then went into patent law or IP.

I'm not questioning the value of an engineering degree- I actually consider that along with accounting, nursing, actuarial science to be solid degrees that you can get a good job with only a bachelor's. So apologies if you thought I was knocking your degree.

It's just this notion of neotony that retards the growth of children until their mid-20's. I'd much rather drop $200k on my daughter when she gets married as a home down payment that let her think she can play around and do musical theater.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2011, 09:17 AM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
85,087 posts, read 99,190,340 times
Reputation: 31564
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Grown, but in nursing school/college/community college right? Or were? I recall references you've made towards what you and your hubby have done to support your kids, and several times it screamed "helictopter parent." I'm not here to criticize your parenting. But I thought it quite convenient for you to criticize others without kids while coming off as a "helicopter parent" in my view. Nothing personal, and I don't feel like digging through posts to quote you.
This is personal attack area here AeroGuy. Fortunately for you, we seem to have no mods actually monitoring this thread, or a lot of posts would have already been deleted.

My older daughter has a Doctorate in physical therapy from the University of Colorado. She graduated something (I don't remember any more b/c that stuff gets irrelevant after college) c*u*m laude from St. Olaf College. So what if we paid for her undergrad? Why should she wait till we're dead to get some of our savings? We could afford it, b/c we ourselves are good money managers, and to be fair, we got lucky with an inheritance. She paid for her own grad school, and is paying off her student loans.

My younger daughter graduated with a GPA well over 3.0 from the University of Colorado Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology program. She is currently a graduate student at the Colorado School of Public Health. Again, we did pay for her undergrad. Why do you care? We are not paying for her grad school. In the interim between undergrad and grad school, she worked at a day care center making $10/hr and managed to save about $5000 (in 1 1/2 years) while living with a roommate.

You have your fricking nerve criticizing MY parenting. Nothing personal, my a**!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2011, 09:20 AM
 
Location: NoVA
1,377 posts, read 2,203,330 times
Reputation: 1912
I wonder where my major of "Computers and Information Technology" would fall. On one hand, it has the term "technology" in it which to some insinuates "half-ass engineering", but then again my major is deeply entrenched in the IT industry, and that's no bad industry to get into in this modern day and age. My degree requires you to study everything from calculus to economics to software engineering to accounting to database programming and much more, so it would be very hard for me to think of my B.S. from a Tier 1 institution as useless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2011, 09:21 AM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
20,009 posts, read 15,245,046 times
Reputation: 3739
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♥ View Post
I wonder where my major of "Computers and Information Technology" would fall. On one hand, it has the term "technology" in it which to some implies a "half-ass engineering", but then again my major is deeply entrenched in the IT industry, and that's no bad industry to get into in this modern day and age. My degree requires you to study everything from calculus to economics to software engineering to accounting to database programming and more, so it would be very hard for me to think of my B.S. from a Tier 1 institution as useless.
If your job isn't mathematically related (computational models, natural language, data mining, etc) or doesn't require people skills or a physical presence, I'd be wary of it being offshored.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2011, 09:22 AM
 
Location: By the sea, by the sea, by the beautiful sea
54,528 posts, read 38,510,596 times
Reputation: 26891
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
According to the stats, it's a useless venture except for the very select few that land a good job at one of the fashion houses you mention. The rest? They get to wallow in their debt in their parent's basement and behind the counter at 7-11.
According to the stats?

I'll defer to Mark Twain who said: There are three kinds of lies, there's lies, there' damn lies, and there's statistics

Attempting to place different values on degrees with stats is the work of someone who knows the cost of everything and the value of nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2011, 09:23 AM
 
2,695 posts, read 3,615,001 times
Reputation: 1555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
This is personal attack area here AeroGuy. Fortunately for you, we seem to have no mods actually monitoring this thread, or a lot of posts would have already been deleted.

My older daughter has a Doctorate in physical therapy from the University of Colorado. She graduated something (I don't remember any more b/c that stuff gets irrelevant after college) c*u*m laude from St. Olaf College. So what if we paid for her undergrad? Why should she wait till we're dead to get some of our savings? We could afford it, b/c we ourselves are good money managers, and to be fair, we got lucky with an inheritance. She paid for her own grad school, and is paying off her student loans.

My younger daughter graduated with a GPA well over 3.0 from the University of Colorado Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology program. She is currently a graduate student at the Colorado School of Public Health. Again, we did pay for her undergrad. Why do you care? We are not paying for her grad school. In the interim between undergrad and grad school, she worked at a day care center making $10/hr and managed to save about $5000 (in 1 1/2 years) while living with a roommate.

You have your fricking nerve criticizing MY parenting. Nothing personal, my a**!
I'd have no problems 'helping' my daughter out as long as she's doing well and making progress. Helicopter parent is more the parent that shows up at a job interview with their 30 year old son. This poster and her husband seem to be following and positively reinforcing their child's good work thus far.

While I would never outright pay for my daughter's college- if she does well- I'd have no problem paying down her debt after the fact- but I'd make sure she didn't know it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2011, 09:24 AM
 
443 posts, read 450,038 times
Reputation: 619
A lot of these type of threads become personal because people offer their insight on their personal experiences with schools, jobs, finances etc.

Then people will disagree with how others have done things. It is part of society that makes as all different but in reality the same. I critize my wife's family a lot for how they raised her; Homeschooling to shelter her from all of society. Well I want to raise my son to make sure he gets to experience far more than me at a younger age and visit more places.

That point aside, it gets a lot more personal than the typical political arguments of one being either a "job creator" or a "tax leach" that you typically get on here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2011, 09:25 AM
 
Location: Montgomery Village
4,120 posts, read 3,712,365 times
Reputation: 1694
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
When one self-educates, they have a much better ability to enter social circles through clubs and societies. Also, the internet is allowing for a medium for people to blog and share their wisdom. Legitimate intellectuals do not discriminate based on whether or not people have a piece of paper.
LMAO. Yes, much like people "share" their "wisdom" here at sunny PO&C.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2011, 09:26 AM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
85,087 posts, read 99,190,340 times
Reputation: 31564
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
I'd have no problems 'helping' my daughter out as long as she's doing well and making progress. Helicopter parent is more the parent that shows up at a job interview with their 30 year old son. This poster and her husband seem to be following and positively reinforcing their child's good work thus far.

While I would never outright pay for my daughter's college- if she does well- I'd have no problem paying down her debt after the fact- but I'd make sure she didn't know it.
Thank you.

All parents have different ways of handling the college financing. I would like to add, my younger daughter is also working at a Children's Museum while she goes to school.

I see no response from AeroGuy yet.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 11-18-2011 at 09:28 AM.. Reason: add, rearrange.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top