U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2011, 10:00 AM

11,449 posts, read 13,934,706 times

Advertisements

This is a great thread for America's large percentage of anti-intellectuals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 10:01 AM

4,120 posts, read 3,702,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
This is veering dangerously close to 'Good Will Hunting' when Will talks about spending $200k on an education you could've gotten for a buck 35 in late fees from the public library...
Actually my post was highly simplified. I studied and worked my ass of in college. Yet, I still found time to judge bj contests. I don't think its dangerously close to 'Good Will Hunting' considering that guys a genius in the movie. And I would go comparing science and engineering degrees to liberal arts degrees. That would be veering dangerously close to grossly inaccurate.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:02 AM

28,029 posts, read 19,707,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chariega View Post
hmmm we're behind the rest of the world not because we have don't have enough people with "useful" degrees, we're behind the rest of the world because we place no emphasis ON EDUCATION and INTELLECTUAL CURIOSITY. some of the responses to this thread and the OP in general prove this point

knowledge is never useless.

Yes!

Old 11-18-2011, 10:03 AM

6,156 posts, read 3,992,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
At least we understand basic arithmetic.

tuition * students - salary for worthless degrees * students > lots of money

Old 11-18-2011, 10:03 AM

4,120 posts, read 3,702,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
I was joking about the whole part, I thought that would be apparent.
Yeah, I read that later on in the thread. I just didn't edit my post. I thought this was gonna be some reverse racism kind of rant starting up.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:04 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,259,095 times
Maybe everyone here has a valid point. Education is never a waste in that it should be fun and satisfying to learn new things, and you never know when that knowledge can come in handy. But on the flipside, it is important for young people to learn a trade or have a profession so that they can feed and shelter and clothe themselves. Many people should not go to college at all but should choose vocational school instead. I wish that we didn't have such a pretentious and arrogant attitude in this country that sends the message that if you aren't college material, you aren't smart or worthy or useful. In Israel, there are many men who are rabbis because they had the interest to pursue that line of study, but then they go to appliance repair school or carpentry school or electrician's school and learn a trade in order to support their families - because rabbis are a dime a dozen and few can get paid doing rabbinical work. No one looks down on this at all.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:19 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,259,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
I used to value that a great deal when I was very young. As I've gotten older and wiser, I've come to see this as just another ego trip for so many people. So what if your brain is more analytical than most? If you aren't using that gift to make the world a better place (and most are not) then you are useless. If you're arrogant about it (and most are) you are worse than useless. Now I have a new respect for people who work the land or who work with their hands, creating and developing, helping others, and enjoying life.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:19 AM

11,806 posts, read 9,746,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chariega View Post
hmmm we're behind the rest of the world not because we have don't have enough people with "useful" degrees, we're behind the rest of the world because we place no emphasis ON EDUCATION and INTELLECTUAL CURIOSITY. some of the responses to this thread and the OP in general prove this point

knowledge is never useless.
No doubt; the idea of studying only what is necessary for a (currently in-demand) career is incredibly one-sided, and makes for nothing more than a task-oriented employee (robot). I'll be attaining my BSN (Registered Nursing), which is a very versatile degree which can currently net me six-figures in a major metro, but some of my favorite school-work came from those six-page sociological research papers for English classes, and one of my favorite past times is perusing art museums.
I'll hate to see where these people who preach the In-Demand-Only mantra will end up when their chosen degree or profession is no longer the hot item. I also wonder what happened to simply applauding the achievement of graduating college in the first place...

Old 11-18-2011, 10:22 AM

14,490 posts, read 7,138,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
Maybe everyone here has a valid point. Education is never a waste in that it should be fun and satisfying to learn new things, and you never know when that knowledge can come in handy. But on the flipside, it is important for young people to learn a trade or have a profession so that they can feed and shelter and clothe themselves. Many people should not go to college at all but should choose vocational school instead. I wish that we didn't have such a pretentious and arrogant attitude in this country that sends the message that if you aren't college material, you aren't smart or worthy or useful. In Israel, there are many men who are rabbis because they had the interest to pursue that line of study, but then they go to appliance repair school or carpentry school or electrician's school and learn a trade in order to support their families - because rabbis are a dime a dozen and few can get paid doing rabbinical work. No one looks down on this at all.
I agree with this as well. I am planning on sending both of my kids to vocational school even though I do feel that both of them are bright enough to go to college. I just feel that everyone should know how to do something and have a skill to fall back on. I also believe in entreprenuership and encourage all youth to try to find something they can do to make money. Because I loved writing when I was younger I decided to research ways I could make money doing this. I took advanced classes in college in style and rhetoric, as well as a vocational business training block of classes in high school so learned how to market myself in this respect.

Even with my English degree I feel I am very marketable and I have worked in various fields, currently in property management doing procurement/compliance, previously in the banking/finance industry. I always have my writing to fall back on and there are many ways to make money if one searches out those opporunities regardless of what type of degree they chose to pursue in college.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:23 AM

11,806 posts, read 9,746,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
I agree with you also...college is made to be the end-all, be-all, but that's not always the case, and many, many people are very successful plying a skilled trade.
In the end, people should do what they love, and not be disparaged for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies