U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2011, 10:37 PM

8,221 posts, read 10,985,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
Chemistry? This list is a joke.

I would agree. Just because this idiot doesn't value art does not make it useless. Let them live in a world without it ( but not around me).

I find I use many of the services offered in those "worthless" fields. far less than I use Doctors or those more "valuable" degrees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 11:39 PM

42,342 posts, read 50,050,181 times
For those who insist they cannot learn by themselves and must have the leadership of 'professionals,' you do know you can audit courses for a very cut rate price, right?

Old 11-19-2011, 12:25 AM

25,165 posts, read 47,428,231 times
Why are those fraudulent academic programs still in existence? Cash cows exploiting ignorance, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
1. Journalism
2. Horticulture
3. Agriculture
4. Advertisting
5. Fashion Design
6. Child/Family Studies
7. Music
8. Mechanical Engineering Technology
9. Chemistry
10. Nutrition
11. Human Resources
12. Theater
13. Art History
14. Photography
15. Literature
16. Art
17. Fine Arts
18. Psychology
19. English
20. Animal Science

No wonder this nation is screwed! Check out how many students graduated with these degrees in the 2008-2009 timeframe! And to think that thousands of students are in DEBT over this crap!

Useless College Majors, From Journalism to Psychology to Theater - The Daily Beast

Old 11-19-2011, 12:41 AM

9,601 posts, read 9,472,580 times
The race to the bottom has entered the home stretch...

Old 11-19-2011, 12:47 AM

24,511 posts, read 34,273,599 times
Many of those are considered useless only because they are undervalued.

Old 11-19-2011, 02:06 AM

4,043 posts, read 2,905,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
^ this

My adviser is constantly shmoozed by Google, the CIA, and NSA to hire his students after graduation. Not sure what I think about it yet, but the career fair yesterday was very telling that my area is in demand to the extreme. Oak Ridge might be my next stop, or a couple of postdocs in Germany I've been eyeing.

The Ft. Meade, Maryland area has thousands of jobs in Computer Sciences, well, sorry I shall clarify. I tired of reading the huge list of jobs available at one time, well over 3,000 of them, a very few months ago.

A person with at least a Bachelor's in that field can have wonderful, job security in that area. If they were to be downsized from one company, they could just hop to another, and never have to move. Someone in my family bought a beautiful, brand new home there and from the listings I have seen he'll be quite secure in the area for a long time.

NSA has a huge, Data-mining center in San Antonio. Not far from it is Microsoft's which I hear is also very large. Great economy to live on and the starting jobs pay well from what I've read. NSA said they moved to San Antone because though all of Texas has low electricity rates, SA is known to have the lowest of all of Texas! and they use obscene amounts of power. One trade article about it said that when Microsoft chose SA, that was the deciding factor for NSA. It said that they "work off of?" or "with" Microsoft, Hmmm. Microsoft saves all hotmail. Interesting.

lastly, some amusing things happened when NSA first started operating there. I think they are in or near the Castle Hills area, anyway, people started having problems with their automatic garage door openers. It was the NSA causing the problems and they got it fixed, if I recall, LOL....hmm...

Old 11-19-2011, 03:03 AM

913 posts, read 725,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
1. Journalism
2. Horticulture
3. Agriculture
4. Advertisting
5. Fashion Design
6. Child/Family Studies
7. Music
8. Mechanical Engineering Technology
9. Chemistry
10. Nutrition
11. Human Resources
12. Theater
13. Art History
14. Photography
15. Literature
16. Art
17. Fine Arts
18. Psychology
19. English
20. Animal Science

No wonder this nation is screwed! Check out how many students graduated with these degrees in the 2008-2009 timeframe! And to think that thousands of students are in DEBT over this crap!

Useless College Majors, From Journalism to Psychology to Theater - The Daily Beast

this is what govt guaranteed student loans have given us. if left to the market, graduates in all of these degrees would exist in smaller numbers, as per market demand. banks would only lend into vocation where they saw a reasonable chance of redeeming their investment and most of these would be ruled out

Old 11-19-2011, 03:08 AM

913 posts, read 725,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
So that we're not entirely negative, let's also take a look at the most useful majors:

Useful College Majors from Engineering to Mathematics to Business - The Daily Beast
the market gives us a pretty clear indication of what is useful at the moment. if you ask me, the huge rise in the cost of medicine means that there is a shortage of medical practitioners.

Old 11-19-2011, 07:13 AM

28,138 posts, read 19,787,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
For those who insist they cannot learn by themselves and must have the leadership of 'professionals,' you do know you can audit courses for a very cut rate price, right?
I'm listening...

Old 11-19-2011, 09:05 AM

3,115 posts, read 5,962,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Not all schools offer auditing, and the spots are rarely, if ever, open. Classroom spots go first to students. In addition, you can typically only audit lectures, and in a science program you would be missing a ton of information and demonstrations by not attending a lab.

Can YOU learn all you need to know about astrophysics on your own? I'm sorry, I'm just not that much of a genius. Maybe if my interest was religion, history or some other book-heavy subject it would make sense, but science is hands-on.

Regardless, I think it's been made quite plain in this thread that a degree holds as much value as the learner chooses. The measure of success in life is not the same for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies