U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2012, 10:06 AM

3,326 posts, read 2,624,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
1. Journalism
2. Horticulture
3. Agriculture
4. Advertisting
5. Fashion Design
6. Child/Family Studies
7. Music
8. Mechanical Engineering Technology
9. Chemistry
10. Nutrition
11. Human Resources
12. Theater
13. Art History
14. Photography
15. Literature
16. Art
17. Fine Arts
18. Psychology
19. English
20. Animal Science

No wonder this nation is screwed! Check out how many students graduated with these degrees in the 2008-2009 timeframe! And to think that thousands of students are in DEBT over this crap!

Useless College Majors, From Journalism to Psychology to Theater - The Daily Beast
Agriculture is big business in much of the south and west.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 05:34 PM

29,419 posts, read 18,027,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
You're so bad! Hey, my sister got her degree in Equine Studies and a minor in Equine Management. Yes, it's a real degree. I always made a bit of fun of her but then she went and won the World Championship this year and now I have to listen to HOURS of how great she is from my parents!
My kid is a freshman and one of his buddies is a bull rider. They actually give out bull riding scholorships. I couldn't believe that one. He is pretty damn good too. Got second in some big nat shindig down in nu mehico last year.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:29 PM

85,075 posts, read 99,122,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
For those who insist they cannot learn by themselves and must have the leadership of 'professionals,' you do know you can audit courses for a very cut rate price, right?
And your point is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
You're so bad! Hey, my sister got her degree in Equine Studies and a minor in Equine Management. Yes, it's a real degree. I always made a bit of fun of her but then she went and won the World Championship this year and now I have to listen to HOURS of how great she is from my parents!
I had a Physician's Assistant whose undergrad is in Equine Science.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:17 PM

3,614 posts, read 2,959,951 times
Quote:
Well, part of the problem is that many of these students aren't paying for it. They are defaulting on federal loans by the billions, leaving taxpayers on the hook for their bad decisions.

As taxpayers, we have a right to question this.
There's the conservative hypocrisy I was looking for. Students are only allowed to undertake degrees you approve of, because you as a taxpayer fund their education, not themselves, not the other 120,000,000 taxpayers, and not the tens of thousands of miscellaneous scholarships.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I fund adult continuing education every time I go to a strip club.
Ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
The entire article has pretty much been disassembled as being total bull****. It seems like the only degree the author approves of is a Business degree, because it's the only one that will make you a multimillionaire.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:06 PM

23,851 posts, read 19,213,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
There's the conservative hypocrisy I was looking for. Students are only allowed to undertake degrees you approve of, because you as a taxpayer fund their education, not themselves, not the other 120,000,000 taxpayers, and not the tens of thousands of miscellaneous scholarships.

Ha!

The entire article has pretty much been disassembled as being total bull****. It seems like the only degree the author approves of is a Business degree, because it's the only one that will make you a multimillionaire.
Actually, if you want get specific, i'd advocate for BS and MS degrees in Aerospace Engineering.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:23 PM

10,510 posts, read 8,626,420 times
Quote:
Actually, if you want get specific, i'd advocate for BS and MS degrees in Aerospace Engineering.
LOL! I wonder why?

Me, I'd advocate for more Mathematics degrees. Not enough of those!

Old 01-24-2012, 11:41 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,867,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
My kid is a freshman and one of his buddies is a bull rider. They actually give out bull riding scholorships. I couldn't believe that one. He is pretty damn good too. Got second in some big nat shindig down in nu mehico last year.
I received a $1200 scholarship for showing dairy goats I also received one for being a tall woman and one for winning a competition on general livestock knowledge at my county fair.

Quote:
I've made more money off of my music degree than my aerospace engineering degree

Old 01-25-2012, 12:38 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,655,080 times
Default I'm stumped by a couple?

Someone already mentioned Agriculture - And yes, there should be work in various parts of this industry - Even in sales to and from the industry. And there are all types of processing plants for things such as fertilizers, etc..

But, Chemistry is the real stumper to me - Chemical knowledge is needed in all types of industries.

Is it matter of people getting degrees but not really understanding the basics?

Old 01-25-2012, 12:41 AM

3,614 posts, read 2,959,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post
Someone already mentioned Agriculture - And yes, there should be work in various parts of this industry - Even in sales to and from the industry. And there are all types of processing plants for things such as fertilizers, etc..

But, Chemistry is the real stumper to me - Chemical knowledge is needed in all types of industries.

Is it matter of people getting degrees but not really understanding the basics?
No, it's a matter of these being undergraduate degrees. For the most part, physical sciences usually require advanced degrees in order to make money--and this chart appears to be heavily focused on money.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:01 AM

28,265 posts, read 43,605,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
Very true... in the town where I work, there would be NO business without agriculture! Just today we met with a representative for Barbara Boxer, requesting a waiver for federal grant money - because thanks to the local farmers, who are worth a fortune on paper, our median income levels are greatly skewed (thus disqualifying us from many grants). So at least around here, agricultural studies could be worth their weight in gold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies