U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2013, 11:19 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,171,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I have a foreign language degree and make $92k a year.
And what do you do? You must have an MBA or something..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
I would have to disagree...

Psychology-well if you are going to be a psychologist you kind of need a psychology degree...and if you work in HR they life for people to have some psychology background-I'd rather have a Psychology degree than an HR degree.

Who makes this sh** up....I've seen degrees worse than that-how about Wine tasting? Or Green Energy?

These are the same people that are telling everyone Nursing is the booming career-while new graduate nurses have a 47% unemployment rate
I know, I wish someone would finally come out and officially say it! However, I don't think that anyone wants to because then who would go to school to be a nurse? No students=no money for universities.

Btw, I wouldn't have minded having a psyc degree either, it is an interesting field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
(shrugs shoulders)

I guess it depends on the person and their motives.

I wasn't a history major (Criminal Justice) but I took several upper division history courses (both at the undergrad and grad level) to fulfill my degree requirements.

These folks were insane on the readings and research papers. I read enough books to fill up a freakin' library. I couldn't get a degree in that. No way in hell.
Haha, I did, it was a bit umm involved shall I say. I will say this, I took business classes and the professor would give notes, talk a bit about the notes(for people that probably needed) give more notes..repeat.

The history professors that I had, used NO powerpoint, NO notes, and would talk NON STOP for an hour. You know it was a good class when you didn't even look up at the teacher because you were too busy taking notes. One professor of mine particularly stood out because he would talk and then we he got to a word that he didn't think people knew how to spell, he would spell it quickly and keep going like nothing had happened. I was in awe that he knew all of this stuff, meanwhile the business professors had to write their own notes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 12:22 AM

14,506 posts, read 23,200,696 times
[quote=AeroGuyDC;21755323]
1. Journalism
2. Horticulture
3. Agriculture
4. Advertisting
5. Fashion Design
6. Child/Family Studies
7. Music
8. Mechanical Engineering Technology
9. Chemistry
10. Nutrition
11. Human Resources
12. Theater
13. Art History
14. Photography
15. Literature
16. Art
17. Fine Arts
18. Psychology
19. English
20. Animal Science

"Journalism"? Thats been dead in this country quite a few years now
San Francisco plane crash: TV station duped into giving racist, false names of pilots by NTSB intern - NY Daily News

Old 07-31-2013, 12:43 AM

688 posts, read 530,721 times
[quote=dreamofmonterey;30744234]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Yeah, Journalism degrees could be renamed "Blogging" at this point.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:30 AM

14,506 posts, read 23,200,696 times
Columbia University has a "journalism" graduate course in "creating narrative" (i.e., fiction)

Quite telling.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:21 PM

9,113 posts, read 5,676,162 times
Quote:
Why do you ask?

I suppose its because of the Mechanical Engineering Techonology designation as useless?

Any "Engineering Techonology" degree is considered "engineering lite" and is not considered engineering by certification standards. ET degrees do more harm than good to students because it shows that they either couldn't, or didn't want to make the cut as a fully accredited engineer. Who want's a half-ass engineer? No one. That's why it made the list.
That's funny, I would say 80% of our full mechanical engineering degree engineers couldn't engineer their way out of a paper bag. The only ones that seem worth anything moved into engineering from design.. and the funny thing.. they aren't degreed.
I'm sure it is different for every industry though, mine is automotive.. specifically Interiors /plastics.

Old 07-31-2013, 02:27 PM

23,618 posts, read 31,198,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackscorpion View Post
And what do you do? You must have an MBA or something..
Nope, I work in I.T. I'm a database NINJA.

Old 08-01-2013, 02:04 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,171,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Nope, I work in I.T. I'm a database NINJA.
Ahh, funny you mention that, I was just talking to my friend about that, that maybe I should do some certifications. I hear that they make good money.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:29 AM

47,314 posts, read 24,662,808 times
Useless or useful is subjective. It's a personal choice.

I'm presently in a job where a degree and related experience is required. They didn't give a damn what my degree was in. I just had to have one to be considered. They cared far more about my work related experience.

There are millions of jobs like that.

Old 08-01-2013, 03:07 PM

1,164 posts, read 1,278,921 times
Quote:
1. Journalism

2. Horticulture

3. Agriculture

4. Advertisting

5. Fashion Design

6. Child/Family Studies

7. Music

8. Mechanical Engineering Technology

9. Chemistry

10. Nutrition

11. Human Resources

12. Theater

13. Art History

14. Photography

15. Literature

16. Art

17. Fine Arts

18. Psychology

19. English

20. Animal Science

No wonder this nation is screwed! Check out how many students graduated with these degrees in the 2008-2009 timeframe! And to think that thousands of students are in DEBT over this crap!

Useless College Majors, From Journalism to Psychology to Theater - The Daily Beast

I'm one of those people who graduated with a bachelor's in psychology. I remember when going into the office the lady told me that psychology was a great degree to get, that all jobs would want me and be willing to train me in any type of job; she was very wrong. It took me almost two years to find a job, but I have since then gone back to school working part time to try and get another more valuable degree like nursing which is booming right now.

I don't understand why these degrees are as expensive as more valuable degrees, I mean with my degree the only type of jobs I could find, but couldn't immediately get because of lack of experience as they usually asked for 2-3 years of it were:

Case Managers (psych wards) - $15.72/hr starting salary
Rehab Clinicians (Psych wards) - 15.72/hr ""
Academic Adviser (University) - 18.12/ hr ""
Autism therapist - 20/hr ''
Teacher - $20-24/hr '' - though for this job you need vocation (which I do not have for that particular job) and requires you to do a short course that prepares you for the licensing exams, etc

It's not fair that my father who didn't even finish college and who works as a machinist at a railroad company gets paid $28/hr, far more then people who went to school and got into debt for it.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:06 PM

1,164 posts, read 1,278,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
I would have to disagree...

Psychology-well if you are going to be a psychologist you kind of need a psychology degree...and if you work in HR they life for people to have some psychology background-I'd rather have a Psychology degree than an HR degree.

Who makes this sh** up....I've seen degrees worse than that-how about Wine tasting? Or Green Energy?

These are the same people that are telling everyone Nursing is the booming career-while new graduate nurses have a 47% unemployment rate
How can they have 47% unemployment when there's a shortage of nurses? My sister got her Bachelor's degree in nursing last year and she already had a job 2 days before her graduation ceremony and her starting salary was $29/hr. I realize this is merely an anecdotal case, but I thought I'd share some experience in that regard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies