U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2013, 12:14 PM

10,510 posts, read 8,637,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Same rule applies for theatre arts and film studies. I would not, however, turn my nose up at agriculture. Many highly-respected state universities maintain close ties to the farm community, and a variety of college-taught skills (business, for example) are useful when a son returns to the farm. My brother, a veterinarian and later a public official in agriculture, met his wife through a program run by the State Agricultural Extension Network -- it can come in handy for an "aggie" "stranded" back in his home town.

And developing an agriculturally-based business (even an "organic" enterprise designed to manipulate the touchie-feelies and technophobes) can pay off quite nicely a few years down the road. Sometimes, the kid who never left the farm is one of the richest guys in the frat at Homecoming.
I agree. My husband actually majored in Horticulture and is doing quite well. Actually starting a new business venture this year because of a hole in the market and his customers literally requesting he do so. I think it's all a matter of what you do with it. In our area, ag degrees do quite well and Clemson has extension programs throughout the state. Those offices are utilized by both regular citizens and aggies alike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 12:23 PM

49,180 posts, read 39,625,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
I wasn't being sarcastic, I apologize if that's how my response was perceived.
You work at a psych clinic...that's funny because then you can go to work and tell them about some of the REALLY nutty people that post in the politics and other controversies forum.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:48 PM

7,249 posts, read 6,440,539 times
Who was stupid enough to put Chemistry on that list? Like most hard sciences chemistry commands a good salary especially if they specialize in something like bio-chemistry or petroleum-chemistry and general chemistry grads with just a four year degree start out at $60k while bio-chem or petro-chem majors start out at around $75k.

I'd have to say the OP and his list are both clueless.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:52 PM

4,839 posts, read 3,443,907 times
That list is a bunch of BS. You can find jobs with basically every degree on there.

Old 08-03-2013, 12:08 AM

1,164 posts, read 1,282,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Who was stupid enough to put Chemistry on that list? Like most hard sciences chemistry commands a good salary especially if they specialize in something like bio-chemistry or petroleum-chemistry and general chemistry grads with just a four year degree start out at $60k while bio-chem or petro-chem majors start out at around $75k.

I'd have to say the OP and his list are both clueless.
I think the original article was speaking of bachelor's degrees in those fields; the ones making nice salaries with chemistry and biology would be those who continued their education with a master's or doctorate degree.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:49 PM

8,432 posts, read 7,435,450 times
Here is the full list of degrees, with starting and mid career salaries.

This list really shows what degrees pay off, and those that don't. Median starting salary from $30,000 to over $100,000. A lot of those degrees, will not earn you more than a lot of high school graduates will be able to earn.

Majors That Pay You Back - 2013-2014 College Salary Report

Here is a list of about any job you can think if and salary information.

Old 02-19-2014, 04:07 PM

23,851 posts, read 19,238,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Here is the full list of degrees, with starting and mid career salaries.

This list really shows what degrees pay off, and those that don't. Median starting salary from $30,000 to over $100,000. A lot of those degrees, will not earn you more than a lot of high school graduates will be able to earn.

Majors That Pay You Back - 2013-2014 College Salary Report

Here is a list of about any job you can think if and salary information.
Thank you for the updated list of "good" and "bad" degrees!

Old 02-19-2014, 04:09 PM

6,836 posts, read 12,415,904 times
All though I will be going to graduate school for my MPA, I am pleased to see that my current BA of criminology is not on the list . Lol

Old 02-19-2014, 04:14 PM

24,124 posts, read 17,727,351 times
obama had to kow-tow to the hurt-feelings crowd recently for daring to say that 'folks can make a lot more, potentially, with skilled manufacturing or the trades than they might with an art history degree.'

i think he should have stuck by his original statement.

Obama apologizes for joking about art history majors

Old 02-19-2014, 04:14 PM

14,298 posts, read 7,780,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
1. Journalism
2. Horticulture
3. Agriculture
4. Advertisting
5. Fashion Design
6. Child/Family Studies
7. Music
8. Mechanical Engineering Technology
9. Chemistry
10. Nutrition
11. Human Resources
12. Theater
13. Art History
14. Photography
15. Literature
16. Art
17. Fine Arts
18. Psychology
19. English
20. Animal Science

No wonder this nation is screwed! Check out how many students graduated with these degrees in the 2008-2009 timeframe! And to think that thousands of students are in DEBT over this crap!

Useless College Majors, From Journalism to Psychology to Theater - The Daily Beast
And the winner with over 250,000 graduates is...... Liberal arts and sciences, general studies,
and humanities

The next closest one with 112,000 graduates was ....... Health professions and related clinical sciences

Degrees conferred by degree-granting institutions: 2008-09
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies