Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 02:04 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
If one pursues a degree strictly out of intellectual curiosity rather than as a career calling card, wouldn't the same be accomplished by using public knowledge available to them, at a substantial savings? Why do they have such an inferiority complex as to require a piece of paper to make themselves feel worthy of expertise in a topic?
Some people learn better in a traditional place like a university. If they are paying for it, why do you care?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 02:07 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Some people learn better in a traditional place like a university. If they are paying for it, why do you care?
Well, part of the problem is that many of these students aren't paying for it. They are defaulting on federal loans by the billions, leaving taxpayers on the hook for their bad decisions.

As taxpayers, we have a right to question this.

Old 11-17-2011, 02:07 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,134,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
If one pursues a degree strictly out of intellectual curiosity rather than as a career calling card, wouldn't the same be accomplished by using public knowledge available to them, at a substantial savings? Why do they have such an inferiority complex as to require a piece of paper to make themselves feel worthy of expertise in a topic?
You of all posters should know that there is much more to be gained from a college learning experience than can be found in regular life. Colleges and universities house a wealth of knowledge, from the faculty, to the libraries, to innumerable research opportunities and so on. The learner doesn't just gain knowledge in their chosen subject area, either.

I have degrees in marine science and geology, but have really been interested in astrophysics for the past couple of years. I am looking at going back to school for that. I have no plans to become an astrophysicist, but my thirst for knowledge is not quenched by publicly available books and lectures. What's wrong with people seeking to learn?

Old 11-17-2011, 02:09 PM

27,558 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Because they don't pay for it. Instead, they take out tens of thousands of dollars in student loans. Then when they cannot get a real job because of their useless degree, they go protest on Wall Street.

Old 11-17-2011, 02:14 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,203,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Because they don't pay for it. Instead, they take out tens of thousands of dollars in student loans. Then when they cannot get a real job because of their useless degree, they go protest on Wall Street.
My understanding is that since they can't include student loans in a bankruptcy, their future wages can be garnished. Sounds to me like the loans get paid back one way or another.

Old 11-17-2011, 02:15 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
A lot of people who study chemistry do it because they are very interested in chemistry and use it to go into academic research. It's fascinating work with long hours and little pay.
i know. i have a minor in chemistry.

it still surprises me that it's on the list relative to some of the truly craptastic majors that are out there.

Old 11-17-2011, 02:27 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,819,047 times
I was an English major and have never had a problem finding a decent paying job or career. I work in procurement/compliance currently, one would think it is totally different from my major but knowing how to write effectively comes in handy and plus I enjoy writing and reading and wanted to study something I enjoyed. I don't regret it. Plus undergrad really doesn't matter in the long run IMO. Many doctors are English or Philosophy majors during their undergrad years as well as lawyers.

I do plan on going back and getting an advanced degree, I haven't narrowed it down yet to what I want to study but I have always been interested in science and research so more than likely I will go that route. Regardless though the definition of success changes from person to person. I make decent money with my so called useless degree, more than many IT professionals I know. I have a very flexible schedule, am not on call all the time, I have a lot of freedom to enjoy my family and my company provides a great benefits package including lots of vacation time so I would consider myself successful.

I do feel people should study what they love while also having a career field in mind. I initially went into English because I loved writing and knew if it came to it, I could make a career doing freelance work, which I did do for a while when I was a SAHM to my kids. Or I could eventually take a certification course for 6 months and become a teacher if I wanted to go that route. There are many options with a liberal arts degree and I do feel it can be an asset.

Old 11-17-2011, 02:31 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I see lots of problems with that list, some fields just aren't super lucrative but can be very rewarding. Many of those degrees are received by people that go on to teach kids, social work, law enforcement etc. which arent traditionally high paying.

Additionally, Agriculture and Animal Science majors tend to work in rural low cost areas and many people that work in those fields operate as small businessmen and pay themselves modest salaries while accumulating capital assets and retire as multi-millionaires.

Why stop at the "bottom 20" though? I have one of the most lucrative bachelors degrees you can possibly get and I don't go looking down my nose at other people.

The article is tacky, full of holes and intellectually shallow fluff.
Well-said.

Old 11-17-2011, 02:36 PM

3,826 posts, read 3,387,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
So who determines who "the masses" are?

Those that can't get into college on their own merits or GPA.

What's worse is those that graduate with an art degree and then complain about not being able to support themselves as and "artist". There are plenty of jobs available for house painters.

Old 11-17-2011, 02:42 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,203,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
Those that can't get into college on their own merits or GPA.

What's worse is those that graduate with an art degree and then complain about not being able to support themselves as and "artist". There are plenty of jobs available for house painters.
I work with people in the fine arts through my business, and I think most (all?) people with those degrees know that finding employment in that field will be impossible, unless they go into graphic design, etc, or add teaching certification as part of their degree program. They expect to take jobs in other fields, and then do studio production work on the side to try to build up their own business. I've never heard anyone complain about not being able to find a salaried job as an artist--it's self employment by nature of the field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies