U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 12:24 PM

7,091 posts, read 10,521,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
If it's only used for color, and your readers tell you it makes it difficult to read, why continue to do it just because you can? Is it that important to you?
Different font and different color, but the concept remains the same. Kind of like Tin Foil Hatters here, but more obvious.

Quote:
Green ink is a British journalistic term for the frothing of lunatics. Back when letters to news outlets were produced in an archaic medium based on materials known as "paper" and "ink", the nutters would supposedly always write their IMPORTANT INFORMATION in green.
I guess the color of the words makes it seem like what a lunatic is saying is somehow more important and better then anything critics have to say.

Just goes to show you how crazy people can actually get.

Old 11-23-2011, 04:01 PM

4,043 posts, read 2,905,931 times
Dr. Mercola with Dr. Shiv Chopra from Canada. Dr. Chopra went from Veterinary Immunology to a Phd in Microbiology and became an expert in the Immunological Field for Humans. Even had a fellowship with the WHO and has a huge resume that is described in video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8uLrDfBDw0

Old 11-23-2011, 06:16 PM

21,622 posts, read 26,322,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
The HPV vaccines seem pointless due to the simple fact that they don't protect against all strains of HPV and there are a lot of them out there!
It is not necessary to protect against all of the strains, only the ones associated with cancers. The type 16 and type 18 are associated with 70% of the cancers. If you protect against those two types, you potentially prevent 70% of the cancers. In addition, there is some protection against strains that are not in the vaccine but are closely enough related to the ones that are in the vaccine that the vaccine causes the body to produce antibodies to them. So potentially, you can prevent even larger numbers of cancers.

In addition, Gardasil protects against the two most common strains that cause warts. Warts are not cancers, but they cause discomfort and do not always go away by themselves. The treatment is painful.

So right now we have a two vaccines that can prevent 70 + % of cancers, not only of the cervix, but also vagina, vulva, anus, penis, and throat.

In addition, Gardasil prevents a significant number of genital wart infections.

So the vaccines are not "pointless".

Old 11-23-2011, 06:41 PM

7,497 posts, read 9,331,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
so what? it protects against MOST of them. Some is better than NONE.
Nobody's even sure that they protect permanently from cervical cancer. So it seems pointless to me to get the vaccine.

Old 11-23-2011, 06:43 PM

7,497 posts, read 9,331,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The HPV vaccines also provide cross-protection against other strains that are not in the vaccine. Women in clinical trials appear to have a lower risk of dysplasia, regardless of infection with these additional strains. Since dysplasia is the precursor for cancer, reducing dysplasia translates to a decrease in the risk of cancer. The cross protective benefit is not as great as the benefit against HPV 16 & 18, but it is significant.

Cross-protective efficacy of HPV-16/18 AS04-adj... [Lancet Oncol. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

A review of cross-protection against oncogenic... [Gynecol Oncol. 2008] - PubMed - NCBI

In particular, there is cross protection against HPV 45, which accounts for another 10% of cervical cancers.

Your impression that the cancer rate would not go down much is based on the assumption that all HPV types are equally likely to cause cancer. That is not true. HPV 16 & 18 are associated with 70% of cervical cancers. Many HPV strains are associated with warts on the skin, about 40 of the hundred or so types. You do not have to vaccinate against all known HPV types to significantly decrease the risk of cancer.

So, yes, logically, vaccinating against HPV 16 & 18 can be expected to reduce the risk of associated cervical, vaginal, vulvar, penile, anal and throat cancers by 70%, possibly more.
Thanks for posting that, and this is all very good news. But nevertheless, there's still a risk of getting HPV and cervical cancer.

Old 11-23-2011, 06:50 PM

3,493 posts, read 2,396,120 times
Quote:
Nobody's even sure that they protect permanently from cervical cancer. So it seems pointless to me to get the vaccine.
The connection between HPV and cervical cancer is well documented. This has been pointed out in this very thread.

Why is pointless to get a vaccine that has already been shown to lower cervical dysplasia rates in Australia?

Sunny, Mercola has all the credibility on this issue that you do. The guy's one of the biggest quacks on the net. He attacks vax makers for their tiny profits while asking people to buy expensive garbage that doesn't work.

Old 11-23-2011, 06:52 PM

3,493 posts, read 2,396,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
Dr. Mercola with Dr. Shiv Chopra from Canada. Dr. Chopra went from Veterinary Immunology to a Phd in Microbiology and became an expert in the Immunological Field for Humans. Even had a fellowship with the WHO and has a huge resume that is described in video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8uLrDfBDw0
Answer my questions.

What would happen if we stopped vaccinating? What vaccine preventable diseases do you favor? How would you treat them?

C'mon. Answer them.

You told us not to vax. Now tell us what would happen if we stopped and how you'd deal with the horrific consequences that would follow.

If you dare.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:13 PM

85,097 posts, read 99,227,733 times
Quote:
This has been discussed over and over. Do a search to find the most recent research.

Do not get the vaccine if you don't want it. There are those who say they'd rather they (or their daughters) get cancer. I don't get it. Sorry!

Old 11-23-2011, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Thanks for posting that, and this is all very good news. But nevertheless, there's still a risk of getting HPV and cervical cancer.
Let's put it this way.

Someone offers to sell you tickets to two raffles to win a new car.

With the first game, you have zero chance of winning the raffle because none of your tickets will ever be put into the drum for the drawing. The guy who sold them to you forgot to turn them in.

With the second game, you buy seven tickets, only ten tickets are sold in total, and all seven of your tickets go into the drum. You now have a 70% chance of winning the second raffle.

You can only participate in one of the raffles. Which one would you choose?

If someone tells me he can reduce my risk of a certain cancer by 70%, I'll take those odds any day.

By the way, when my son was in high school, the school held a raffle for a year's tuition (private school). The tickets were $25 apiece. I bought 20. Since the tickets were expensive, they did not sell very well. My son's senior year was tuition free!
Was it guaranteed that one of my tickets would be the one drawn? No, but I sure upped the odds.

No one is saying that the HPV vaccine will prevent all cervical cancer, but preventing 70% is better than preventing none. A whole lot better.

I'd play the second raffle. The odds are 7 to 3 that I'll win. Could lose, yes, but odds in my favor.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
Wow, this one is a trip! One desperate school district went door-to-door to immunize.
We then seen and hear TV and Oprah's Dr. Oz admit that his own, four children would not be immunized.

Door to Door Mandatory Vaccines - Dr. OZ refuses to have his Children Vaccinated! - YouTube
Forgot to point out that the title of the video is a lie. It's Dr. Oz's wife who does not want their children to have the vaccine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or