U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 06:29 AM

17,850 posts, read 19,644,356 times

Advertisements

Technically, from a scientific perspective tomatoes are definitely a fruit. However, from a cooking perspective tomatoes are considered a vegetable because they are used in savory rather than sweet cooking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 07:37 AM

18,185 posts, read 16,527,199 times
When I make a pizza at home I load up on the veggies. Green peppers( more vitamin C than oranges), onions, mushrooms, olives, even sliced tomato. Sliced pepperoni tops it off but I wouldn't miss it due to the sodium and fat.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:50 AM

1,362 posts, read 1,497,836 times
Pizza is not a vegetable. Pizza is a somewhat healthy junk food.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:55 AM

4,414 posts, read 3,232,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmforte View Post
So ruin life for everyone else because of what you want for your daughter? I'm glad I'm not in school anymore.

It can't be both? Money and freedom aren't always in competition or mutually exclusive.

And again, this starts a bad precedent down a slippery-slope..first its the schools, then its welfare recepients, hey, why stop there? If it's one thing the government loves and craves (both Democrats and Republicans) it's more power and control.
I'm just going to assume that you don't have children. Because if you do I'd just have to otherwise assume that you're just a fan of childhood obesity and diabetes.

For a lot of low-income children, and the children of bad parents, school lunches are about the only chance for a hot nutritiousness meal. And I hate to break it to you but pizza, french fries and tacos are not healthy.

Numerous studies have linked nutrition with academic performance and later economic success. However, our freedom loving Congress has made it very clear that they value the sweet money from the processed food lobby a lot more than they value the health and education of children.

No matter your political leanings, every parent in this country should be angry about this. What more proof do you need that our "representatives" not only don't care about us, they seem to actively hate us.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Klato View Post
Pizza is not a vegetable. Pizza is a somewhat healthy junk food.
"Healthy junk food" is an oxymoron. It is either healthy, or it is junk food. It cannot be both. "Junk food" is synonymous with "unhealthy."

If the pizza is made from fresh dough, homemade marinara sauce, and fresh ingredients, it will certainly be healthier than a frozen desiccated pizza full of preservatives.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:34 AM

1,362 posts, read 1,497,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
"Healthy junk food" is an oxymoron. It is either healthy, or it is junk food. It cannot be both. "Junk food" is synonymous with "unhealthy."

If the pizza is made from fresh dough, homemade marinara sauce, and fresh ingredients, it will certainly be healthier than a frozen desiccated pizza full of preservatives.
It can be either one depending on who is making it and the ingredients involved. It could be a healthy pizza or a really greasy, junk pizza.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:40 AM

12,775 posts, read 7,415,464 times
Tomatoes are not even vegetables.

They are classified as fruits.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:12 AM

31,777 posts, read 24,068,982 times
Quote:
Technically, from a scientific perspective tomatoes are definitely a fruit. However, from a cooking perspective tomatoes are considered a vegetable because they are used in savory rather than sweet cooking.
I won't consider everything that goes into cooking a vegetable, much less ketchup being that (thanks to the idiocy that Gramm-Latta Budget brought about). Pretty much the same thinking is going with Pizza now.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I won't consider everything that goes into cooking a vegetable, much less ketchup being that (thanks to the idiocy that Gramm-Latta Budget brought about). Pretty much the same thinking is going with Pizza now.
Who makes pizza with ketchup?

Ketchup is a product, not a vegetable or a fruit. Tomatoes are only considered a vegetable when cooking because they are prepared savory rather than sweet, even though they are actually a fruit. There are also some vegetables that are considered fruit when cooking because they are prepared sweet instead of savory, such as rhubarb, for example.

The scientific and cooking definitions of what is a fruit or vegetable have nothing in common, but are often confused.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:27 AM

31,777 posts, read 24,068,982 times
Quote:
Who makes pizza with ketchup?

Ketchup is a product, not a vegetable or a fruit.
I brought up ketchup as a vegetable, because there was an attempt to define it as such, a consequence of Gramm-Latta Budget (1982).

Quote:
Tomatoes are only considered a vegetable when cooking because they are prepared savory rather than sweet. There are also some vegetables that are considered fruit when cooking because they are prepared sweet instead of savory, such as rhubarb, for example.
Tomato remains a fruit when cooked. Cashew remains a nut when cooking. Salt remains a spice when used in cooking. That is my take on the subject.

Quote:
The scientific and cooking definitions of what is a fruit or vegetable have nothing in common, but are often confused.
We can agree with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies